Questions about using my sleeping bag as a pea pod

I've been looking at threads about pea pods and wanted to get some opinions. So from what I understand you either need to buy or make something like this

But I have the sea to summit Micro II which has the opening on the end just not the hood opening here are some pics

So what I'm figuring is that I can just open the foot box and unzip the bag and then put it around my hammock that I'm making then use the hood draw cords to attach the top to the ridge line. Is this the right idea? Or am I missing some other important feature? FWIW I have the long version of the bag that is 6'6".

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    That looks perfect for a Peapod. If you wanted to use that sleeping bag only for this purpose, you could cut a slit on the back of the bag, where your neck would be, so that you could pass the hammock through there (just as in your first pic). If you don't want to modify the bag, you can just add cordage to attach it to the suspension.

That's a cool bag, as most sleeping bags need some sort of modifications at the foot end.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    Find out if you are claustrophobic before you climb into a "peapod". For me I always want to be sure I can get out in a hurry. The thought of being cocooned in thin nylon is scary if I think about it. Kind of like a piece of meat on a rotisserie.

I started out with a Hennessy that was too big for me, I found that with everything battened down I felt too enclosed. I finally went down to a much smaller hammock that I can see more than the sky. I use a bivy, it is breathable but does not let in the rain. It works well for my particular needs.

These are the type of technicalities that tend to increase the cost of being a Hanger. Sometimes you just have to try it to see if it works for you.

Upmysleeves

Thanks I actually picked it cause I can use it as a mummy, regtangular, quilt (on the ground or now in a hammock), or just a blanket so it works great pretty much year round not too warm in the summer and it's got a survival rating of 5 degrees so I works even when it's pretty cold too.

I don't think I'll have any issues with being claustrophobic after all you don't have a ton of room in a mummy so I should be fine there.

What I think I'll do is zip it around the hammock and then since the hood has dual draw cords just use some cord to tie those to the ridgeline

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    I to have a multi purpose sleeping bag. Using the Exped on chilly nights wrap around the foot end zip and on the head end attach to the back end of the hammock or ridge line. Cords with snaps on the end and hood is the weak link so I bunch up the end and tie. Add an UQ protector with a BA bag inside and I'm nice and warm. The bag is a front zip for venting throughout the night if needed. Comfort I can sleep on my side or back with no problem. The hood rolled up underneath for added warmth.
    So you should have no problem using your bag as a peapod.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Cool setup just a question though when you're in the hammock do the sides get taught enough to stretch the bag? I was a little worried about tension on the sides of the hammock stretching the bag enough to break the zipper or something.

Hammock
    pick one
    Tarp
    large, Mia palace
    Insulation
    anything warm
    Suspension
    tree or poles
    Quote Originally Posted by outbackpacker3 View Post
    Cool setup just a question though when you're in the hammock do the sides get taught enough to stretch the bag? I was a little worried about tension on the sides of the hammock stretching the bag enough to break the zipper or something.
    The reason this works for me is my size and weight 150 lbs and the bag is more rectangle than mummy 52" the bag is fairly loose. Think of it this way a sleeping bag with fabric inside pull the sides of the hammock up around your body. It's the inside dimension of the bag as the hammock rests inside. The bag would put tension on the zipper as one moves in my case this is not a problem. Around the shoulders folks might find this tight for me zipped up to my chest arms out with a light sweater if cold I can slide inside and still have enough room to sleep on my side knees bent. The zipper has not failed. My only caution is getting in not to miss the hammock. This system is only used below the 30's also using my 3/4 UQ if needed inside the bag this setup is toasty warm.
    Give it a try might work others might feel to enclosed.

• + New Posts