Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Yukon hammock stretch?

I took my wife out for her first hammock camping experience. It was a great weekend. There wasn't much chance of rain, so we decided to try two hammocks from the same trees, with just one tarp over us. If it rained sideways, we would have gotten wet, but we took a chance and it worked out great. (i had a backup tarp just in case).

Anyway, I put her in my WBBB and I slept in my Yukon netless that I got on Woot. I hung them at the same height. By morning, I was a full hammock height below her. (at least 8-10 inches). My suspension was the cinch buckles that originally came on my WBBB, so I don't think it was suspension. The only explanation left is my hammock material stretched. Is this common with parachute-type hammocks? Or maybe it was because the hammock only cost $19.99. As it turns out, it is easier to get a good diagonal lay when you are a little staggered like that, so I didn't really mind, but I was wondering what you thought about the cause for the lowering.

Hammock
    WBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Baby Orca/Klymit
    Suspension
    straps/c buckles
    Images
    I use mine indoors, and have never had a stretch.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~

AT '12. AT '14. FT '15. CA '15.

Hammock
    Yukon outfitters double
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    KAQ - Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Mine feels like it stretches a little with use, but what you describe sounds like more stretch than I see. Did the cinch buckles slip a bit?

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    I have slept in a yukon, we own 4-5 of them, just could not pass up the woot deal and i am over 300 lbs and have never had any stretch in any of ours, i dont know if it matters but we throw our hammocks in a pillow case and wash them in the washer machine when we first get them ,let roll around on a cool cycle in the dryer with a softener sheet and hang dry the rest of the way if that hels with stretching i am not sure

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird
    Tarp
    AHE Toxaway
    Insulation
    HG 20* Incu/Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    i'm not an expert on hammock stretch by any means (and i have heard the exact opposite stated before as well) but i would agree that this parachute style (nylon) hammock does seem slightly stretchier than my other hammocks (WBT and tablecloth).

i also have the same cinch buckles, and the only time i've ever had them slip was when i secured them with the wrong end of the strap.

Quote Originally Posted by OSULumberjack View Post
    Mine feels like it stretches a little with use, but what you describe sounds like more stretch than I see. Did the cinch buckles slip a bit?

Hammock
    Yukon outffiters
    Tarp
    Bushcraft usa tarp
    Insulation
    Sleeping Bag
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    I got the netted one and I think there is a little stretch but not that much. As suggested, could have the buckle slipped. Or maybe it slipped drown the tree a little and a little buckle slippage. OR when you were sleeping she tried to sabotage your good night sleep?

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Suspension
    straps and whoopi
    Quote Originally Posted by weaver2469 View Post
    I took my wife out for her first hammock camping experience. It was a great weekend. There wasn't much chance of rain, so we decided to try two hammocks from the same trees, with just one tarp over us. If it rained sideways, we would have gotten wet, but we took a chance and it worked out great. (i had a backup tarp just in case).

Anyway, I put her in my WBBB and I slept in my Yukon netless that I got on Woot. I hung them at the same height. By morning, I was a full hammock height below her. (at least 8-10 inches). My suspension was the cinch buckles that originally came on my WBBB, so I don't think it was suspension. The only explanation left is my hammock material stretched. Is this common with parachute-type hammocks? Or maybe it was because the hammock only cost $19.99. As it turns out, it is easier to get a good diagonal lay when you are a little staggered like that, so I didn't really mind, but I was wondering what you thought about the cause for the lowering.

Perhaps it wasnt the Yukon at all sinking.....maybe the WBBB lifted up higher . But seriously, mine may have just the slightest of stretching, and as far as the cost ($19.99)... I like it better than my SB Pro ($74.99)

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Thanks for the replies. I guess it could have been a combination of suspension and stretch, although I have hung on that suspension many times with other hammocks and haven't noticed any slipping. On the other hand, maybe it always drops a little and I have never noticed because I never had another hammock hanging next to it to gauge the amount of drop.

As I noted in my original post, it taught me a lesson about hanging two from the same tree. At the beginning of the night, it was hard to get a decent diagonal lay, because my feet were restricted by her hammock, but in the morning I noticed how much easier it was when I was staggered a bit below the other one. If I try this again, I might try to set up the left hammock a bit lower to allow my feet to move to the right a under the other hammock. Every trip out teaches you something, I guess. Other than the bit of drop, that was my first trip with the Yukon and it was pretty darn comfortable. Thanks for your input.

• + New Posts