How tight should my ridgeline be?

This may sound like a dumb question to some of you but I'm wondering how tight the ridgeline should be when I put my hammock up? Should it be tight enough that there's no slack in the line or should I get a good guitar like chord out of it when I pluck it? I'm curious because I haven't had a night yet in my hammock (Weight Weenie) where my feet don't slide off at some point. The only way I can consistently keep my feet in the hammock is to not go on the diagonal; which gets uncomfortable after a while. I'm not sure if I'm putting the hammock up too tightly or if something else is creating my situation but any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    I leave some slack in mine so I can bend it a little. Some people say they actually lie more comfortably with it super tight, others say loose. I guess it's best to test your hammock and see what feels right.

Sometimes I set it up and forget to check. By the time I go to bed, I'm too lazy to get out but I still sleep fine with it "too" tight or loose.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Some people's rule of thumb is being able to twist it at a 90° angle with your thumb and index finger. I never really worried about keeping it that loose. As they say, HYOH.
    Last edited by iRokk; 11-05-2013 at 13:52.
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    JRB Mt. Washington
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    + 1 on the twist with index finger and thumb, but for my setup it is good about 45 degrees. I get an uncomfortable ridge if make the setup too tight. The ridgeline helps me to get a consistent hang, and I measure the tension to see if I have it right. It takes a little trial and error to dial it in, so an adjustable ridgeline helps with that. Once you find your optimal setup, you can replicate it everytime.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    What kind of hammock are you using that your feet slide out. How big is the hammock and how tall are you?

Adjusting the ridgeline length is personal preference and may help you get in the right position. Start with a ridgeline length approximately 83% of your hammock length and then adjust shorter or longer until you find your comfort zone.

With regards to the ridgeline, just to add, it's more or less a guide to consistent sag. If you need to set up with trees that are further apart than is ideal, then you may end up with more tension on it but most times, taut but not super tight will work for you. No harm in setting it up guitar string tight as long as you have a strong enought ridgeline but IMO why expose it ti excess force if unnecessary.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

In regard to my size, I'm about 5'8" and weigh in between 205-210. The hammock is a BIAS Weight Weenie; which I believe is 11' long and 60" wide but I'll have to go back to their website to be sure that's correct. The ridgeline came with the hammock so it's set for this particular model. I guess I'll just have to keep fiddling with it but appreciate the suggestions of trying for a loose fit on it.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time...Be well.

snapper

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    I just got a Weight Weenie Micro with the 'Knotty Mod' at the head & footbox. I haven't set it up yet (c'mon tomorrow!!), but from everything I've read on here, it eliminates your problem of feet....or anything else....from leaving the hammock without permission. If you can handle a thread injector, or even a sewing needle since it's a fairly short stitch, you can probably find directions in a forum search. There are many DIYers here that may help, as well. Good luck!
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

• + New Posts