Tarp
    DIY Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Jarbridge UQ, Sock
    Suspension
    Whoopie, MSH
    Images

how long will my diy hammock last?

I made a ghost hammock last year and have used it about 8 weekends. It's made out of Magna ACU 1.1 30D which is really 1.0

I weigh about 210#. It stretches a bit but works fine for me. I'm just wondering how long will this last me before it fails because of my weight? Will it rip in the center or will the stitching at the ends fail? I like this hammock a lot ...very light weight (about 5.5 oz)

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    I have used mine for the last year probably putting somewhere around 50 nights and roughly laying in it around 100 times. Still holding fine. I have had up to 240# in it sometimes when either my 8 y/o sons joins me or the dog jumps in with me. It has a couple of stretch marks but not many. Hope this helps.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    in my opinion, thats pretty light fabric for your weight-----dont hang any higher than you are willing to fall! (not saying it wont work, but you are sacrificing longevity and durability for light weight---since you are on the edge of the envelope anyway, a little damage, or some uv exposure and things might not end well!) Then again, I'm MR "worst case scenario" and tend to big deal the hell out things so consider the source!
    Last edited by stevebo; 11-06-2013 at 12:36.
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WBBB RR DBL 1.1 / DIY Multicam SL
    Tarp
    Superfly/HG CF
    Insulation
    Downy Goodness
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch Clip
    Quote Originally Posted by stevebo View Post
    in my opinion, thats pretty light fabric for your weight-----dont hang any higher than you are willing to fall! (not saying it wont work, but you are sacrificing longevity and durability for light weight---since you are on the edge of the envelope anyway, a little damage, or some uv exposure and things might not end well!) Then again, I'm MR "worst case scenario" and tend to big deal the hell out things so consider the source!
    I think that you are getting at something that I missed. I believe the recommended weight limit for this fabric is about 200#. So when I did have all that extra weight I am sure that i did reduce the longevity of it at least a little bit.
    Husband, Father, and Friend.
    Scout Master and Cub Master for Troop/Pack 705 of
    Chesterfield

Hammock
    WBBB/TR, DIY, HH, SB DL, GT UL
    Tarp
    ID/OES/WB/WL
    Insulation
    HG/WB/Go-Lite/WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Straps/DW
    Images
    I've had mine for a while and its been a go to for me and all good so far.
    The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering. - St. Augustine

Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet.
    - Bob Marley

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    It will last untill it breaks. Acutally it could last for years if taken care of. You are on the border line for the weight the hammock can support.

I have made several hammocks with the same material and I made mine double layer ( I weighed 290 but am down to 260 now ) I also made some single layer hammocks with the material for the wife and some folks at work who do not weigh as much as me.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    you could always make it a time control item-------replace it every year or so, or after so many hours of use---that way you would know you have new fabric under you! There was a story about Ed Speers famous "red hammock"---the one he has on the cover of his book "hammock camping" -----he logged alot of hours with that hammock, just to see how long it would last. I think it finally failed while on a hiking trip in North Carolina on to p of mount mitchel after years of use. But , I dont think he was using such thin fabric like yours. (thats another huge subject of discussion--how long do hammocks last , and when should they be replaced?)
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

• + New Posts