My HH Expediton Zipper Mod.

I know it's been done before, but I didn't see any post with pics of it being done lately. I got the parts from DIY Gear Supply and my Wife did ALL the work. I'm sure some will disagree, but I think it is well worth doing the mod yourself, if you really like DIY projects, as I do.

Here is how it came out. First, the head end:

I will be adding some cordage to the pulls, both inside and out. Next is the "fun part," where the hammock side tie-outs attach:

The foot end, and NO, that isn't a tear in the netting, just where the bottom entry wasn't completely closed when I took the pics.

And a side view, with the netting zipped open on one side, and flipped over out of the way:

Not shown is both sides zipped open and the netting stuffed in the bag under the hood at the foot end, completely out of the way.

I am a DIY kind of person, by nature. My wife really isn't, but she is pretty good with a sewing machine, having turned out some really nice clothes lately and is now taking up quilting. This project took here out of her comfort zone, but I think that trip was worth it! I'm very happy with the results. (And yes, I'll see what I can do about taking advantage of her interest in quilts!)

I'll be testing this out for a couple of nights, starting next Tuesday and will be posting a thread in the "Trip Reports" section when I get back at the end of the week.

I'll let you know how the mod worked out, as well as post some pics of where I camped, including some shots of how I got there. (My recently finished Glades Skiff.)

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL
    Last edited by FlaMike; 11-06-2013 at 20:25. Reason: Seemed like a good idea at the time. . .

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    Nice job. I'm looking at picking up a HH Expedition myself sometime. Not completely set on which version to pick up. I like the idea of the bottom entry but I want the zipper opening to. If I (or the Wife) had some sewing skills Id try the mod.
    Again nice job.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CanoeJoe View Post
    Nice job. I'm looking at picking up a HH Expedition myself sometime. Not completely set on which version to pick up. I like the idea of the bottom entry but I want the zipper opening to. If I (or the Wife) had some sewing skills Id try the mod.
    Again nice job.
    Donna here...if interested, check out our website below in the signature area.

We also have a forum...here on Hammock Forums...under the forums tab...in the "manufactures and services" area.

BTW FlaMike...nice job!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Canoe Joe,

Personally, I really like the "best of both worlds" approach. The original version and the zipper mod gives you that.

Donna,

I'll pass along the compliments to my wife. Thanks!

I've posted about this mod on two other forums and since not everyone is all that interested in the DIY thing, I also posted a link to your web site on both forums. Since those post did generate some interest, they'll be checking in with you.

Mike S.
    Spring Hill, FL

2QZQ does really nice work.

Hammock
    Hennessy Exped /or "other" Hammock
    Tarp
    Hennessy or 9x9DD
    Insulation
    Supershelter
    Suspension
    original
    Images
    [QUOTE=2Questions;1129261]Donna here...if interested, check out our website below in the signature area.

Thanks for the info. Had I not read this thread I may not have considered the mod.

nice work

thanks for sharing

Hammock
    WBBB, ENO, HH, SMe
    Tarp
    WB SuperFly
    Insulation
    UQ
    Suspension
    Various
    Images
    I had ZQ AKA Donna do a mod #4. Turned my HH into a totally new and great experience. I love the versatility provided my mod 4. If you don't want to undertake a DYI project and risk some mistakes in your HH, 2QZQ is the place to go.

FLMIKE - your mode looks awesome.

• + New Posts