Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Tadpole Length?

Brand new guy here that just discovered Wilderness Logics is right in my back yard. I like to support the local economy especially when they make an excellent product so will plan on doing my gear shopping there when possible.
    First upgrade will likely be tarps.
    Right now I'm using a urethane coated Equinox over my Eno DBL NST but would like to go with something lighter, more compact and easier to get a tight pitch.
    Most of my camping will be either car or short 1-2 day leisurely hikes in 3 season weather in the N.C. mountains.
    I've been hearing great things about the Tadpoles. So, the main question: is there any reason (other than a few ounces) to go with the shorter 132 over the 144 RL? Is the difference in coverage only in length?
    Thanks for any suggestions.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    The 132" RL is plenty big enough for the ENO. The 144" just means more coverage and is well suited for people that have 11' hammocks.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird 11 ft.
    Tarp
    12 ft Tadpole
    Insulation
    EE TQ & UGQ UQ
    Suspension
    Full Whoopie Hook

I'm new too . . .

Wilderness Logics Tadpole=awesome!

I ordered a Black 12 ft ridgeline Tadpole (with my 11 ft Dream Hammock Thunderbird) and here's a couple of thoughts:

• optional corner pockets for guy lines keeps everything neat and orderly
    • optional side pull outs allows you to use either guy lines or the newly released pole mod on their sight- both awesome!
    • at least one set of doors will really make it nice if it's windy, cold and/or blowing rain- also optional

They are super to work with and the product will exceed your expectations!

Dave
    Dave "Tbird911"
    Knoxville, TN

Any Day Above Ground . . .

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    I use the full line WL gear and I find the 132" RL to be the best length for my needs.
    My TP, OMW and BullFrog all have 132" ridge lines.
    The SRL on my LO and NO works out to 108". That gives 12" of coverage at both ends.
    Our neighbors at WL are top notch in every way.
    __bob__

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I have a long hammock and a 12' long tarp. The extra length will limit you a bit, but its mostly a minor issue. One could say if you don't need the 12', don't get it, but how many of us stick with one hammock at first?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Just talked to Marty and now I think I'm going all-in and getting a hammock while I'm at it. With the mods I was gonna make to my ENO I could have just gotten a Night/Light Owl to begin with. So, now I'm trying to choose between the Night & Light owl and 132" vs. 134" tarp.
    In regards to tarps, I get that the 132" will likely provide enough coverage, just wondered what the downside is with going with the longer 144"? Marty said the weight difference is a little over an ounce.
    Been reading about Light/Night owl and folks seem slit right down the middle on which they like best. Again, I'm wondering what the sacrifice is if I go with the lighter hammock.
    After surfing here and talking to Marty, I at least feel I'm on the right track to getting set-up for hammock hikes.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    Just talked to Marty and now I think I'm going all-in and getting a hammock while I'm at it. With the mods I was gonna make to my ENO I could have just gotten a Night/Light Owl to begin with. So, now I'm trying to choose between the Night & Light owl and 132" vs. 134" tarp.
    In regards to tarps, I get that the 132" will likely provide enough coverage, just wondered what the downside is with going with the longer 144"? Marty said the weight difference is a little over an ounce.
    Been reading about Light/Night owl and folks seem slit right down the middle on which they like best. Again, I'm wondering what the sacrifice is if I go with the lighter hammock.
    After surfing here and talking to Marty, I at least feel I'm on the right track to getting set-up for hammock hikes.
    sometimes the 12' ridgeline is an issue if the trees are just far enough apart... in other words it can be to long. I have 12' and 11' ridgeline tarp and my 11' (132") goes with me 90% of the time now....Also I use a stand in my backyard and I can use my 11' wide tarp with it but not my 12' wide

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Pulled the trigger on the Light Owl Hammock and the 11' Tadpole w/extra tie outs. Hopefully, that will make a good starter set. If I get into this, I'm sure it won't be my last hammock/tarp anyway. Thanks for the advice. Now off to research tie-outs & linelocs.

Hammock
    ROAMING GNOME!!!
    Tarp
    Big Daddy/Toxaway
    Insulation
    WL TQ/Jarbidge UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch/webbing
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JLeephoto View Post
    Pulled the trigger on the Light Owl Hammock and the 11' Tadpole w/extra tie outs. Hopefully, that will make a good starter set. If I get into this, I'm sure it won't be my last hammock/tarp anyway. Thanks for the advice. Now off to research tie-outs & linelocs.
    my 11' big daddy goes great over my 11' hammocks...never been wet and I have been in some gnarly storms..... I recommend a little dutchware on your ridgeline tieouts, makes life so much easier.

Hammock
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    OJ Dash - Thanks for the recommendation but I'm a step ahead of you. Just ordered a whole pile of little titanium goodies. Then, had to call to add some ridgeline biners to my order. I'm gonna have to push away from all this gear lust.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast