WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Water sickness in Twin Cities campground

Well i figured id tell you guys about it. Maybe give heed to someone else. I went solo camping 10/27. Out in Carver park Reserve on the west side of the Twin Cities. I was drinking water from the spigot at the front. I've gone camping here once before and did the same thing without issue. Also been drinking out of those things all summer all around MN.

Any who, i got sick. I got Cryptosporidium, not very fun. At first I thought food poisoning, but after a couple days of getting worse i finally went to the doctor. Got some test done and bam, parasite. Took me about 10 days do get better. Also the thing is there is no cure or anti-biotic for crypto, you just have to let it run it's course

So from now on i will be filtering or UV lighting my water where ever i get it from. That parasite can really mess with you and put you in a bad place.

Also, just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience drinking from spigots. I also assumed that the water there was treated but I guess i was wrong.

P.S. I have talked to the Admin of Carver park reserve and apparently i was the last official camper of the season and the day after i was there they turned off that water supply. So at least no one else will get sick.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    MambaJamba
    Insulation
    Down bag TQ, Yeti
    Suspension
    Strap
    Wow, that's scary! I shudder to think of all the times I've slurped water from flowing branches while out squirrel hunting (knocking on wood), and never got sick. I would never do that now days.

Images
    Man that is a bad deal for sure. I filter my water no matter where I hang and no matter the water source for just that reason. You just never know what could come up. Better safe than sorry in my line of thinking. Glad you're better now.

Will a Sawyer filter catch that?

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by SageMon View Post
    Will a Sawyer filter catch that?
    Here is a good chart from the CDC on safe water: http://www.cdc.gov/healthywater/pdf/..._Treatment.pdf and here is info from Sawyers. http://www.sawyer.com/tech-water.html My Sawyer filters .1 micron, which will catch that. I also put a few drops of bleach in my water for viruses and let it set before I filter it. Probably not necessary in the US, but it makes me feel better.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    Henn Exp lite or WB XLC
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopy on Kevlar

Sulfa

About 15 or 20 years ago I went thru a similar parasite ordeal. Doc couldn't solve my prob. My mother in law told me to go to her then prob 75 yr old Doc who retired a year or so later. Her old Doc went old school and prescribed a sulfa drug for me and problem solved. New docs aint quite up on old solutions to old problems when the solutions aren't sold by pharma reps. Seems like the sulfa pills were about $4

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I know that Sawyer filters state that they catch the Cryptosopridium protozoa...and I believe that their .1 and .02 filters are small enough to catch the cysts as well.

Boiling kills both for sure.

Chemical treatment will normally kill the protozoa, but doesn't kill the cysts as effectively.

UV treatment is similar...not as effective against the cysts.

While I normally only use one of the three purification methods (boil, filter, or chems) on the trail, if I'm getting water from any place that's had Cryptosporidium before, I usually use two of the three (usually boil and filter).

I've had issues with parasites many years ago, and have zero desire to repeat the experience.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    Another thing to consider is personal hygiene. It can be difficult to isolate where the infection came from whether from drinking contaminated water or not cleaning up appropriately after the morning constitutional.

I got struck down with a similar bug early this summer. Worst illness of my life. Once I got home I got so dehydrated I passed out on the way back from one of the visits to the can. Split my head open pretty good. Scared the heck out of my wife. Doctor said it was from one of the above two causes.

Could only imagine getting this while still in the woods

Hammock
    The Ninja (HikingDad Special)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    NF Down DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I keep my water at camp in a Katadyn Gravity bag (built in filter) I always think it's a good idea to filter your water when there is even a question a safety.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Hillbilly Deluxe View Post
    I keep my water at camp in a Katadyn Gravity bag (built in filter) I always think it's a good idea to filter your water when there is even a question a safety.
    Ya I've always filtered if it was a questionable water source. I just never thought that the spigot that the campground provides would be questionable. I guess you never can tell.

But who know maybe it was bad hygiene. If sure the water safety control will let me know if they find any crypto in the water.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast