Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Claytor Jungle, DIY
    Tarp
    Claytor Diamond
    Insulation
    2/3 UQ, Speer TQ
    Quote Originally Posted by Arkwater View Post
    If I were going to hang a bridge in a pickup bed I would omit the spreader bars & suspension ropes all together. I would install 4 heavy bolt hooks, 2 on tailgate & 2 on the wall next to the cab. Hang the four corners of the bridge from the 4 hooks. Just build your bridge to match the length of your pickup bed.
    This is exactly what I had in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by sinneD View Post
    i am not sure on anchoring the spreader bar to the ends of the bed. don't you need the body of the hammock to roll so you can get in and out?
    Dennis
    Then this comment brings me back to the reality of having NO experience with a bridge hammock. How about using a webbing grab handle to assist getting in and out over the tight side?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by east_stingray View Post
    Ok, to try and recover some pride, I have another idea. For at least one point of your hang, it would probably be possible to fab up something that would fit into the receiver. If you're not a metalworker and don't want to fab, you might be able to modify one of those bike racks that fits in the receiver.

That wouldn't give you two points, but TeeDee just pointed out that you might have a problem with that anyway. At least with a receiver mod you would be able to hammock hang without making some sort of major and irreversible mod to your truck like installing hooks into the cab.
    Like this....

If I had to do it over again..Id make it taller.

Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images
    I wandered in late.

Other thoughts.... you could use spreader bars wider than the truck bed but not suspension triangles etc, if you can rest the spreader bars on top of the truckbox and keep them from moving in. You could build some kind of frame that hugged the edge of the truck box and keep the spreaders in place.

But TeeDee predictably makes a really good point. 20" is very shallow to be getting in and out of a hammock! As for depth, it will be tight but probably can be done. The height of my bridge hammocks from base to spreader bar is 16-18 inches. My butt no doubt deepens that some, but the height just depends on the width of the fabric between the points of attachment on the spreader bar, and you can easily make that 16-18 inches into 12-14 inches.

fun project! I wonder if I can rig a hammock inside my Outback? ...

Grizz

Hammock
    Hammock gear
    Tarp
    Dyneema Hammock ge
    Insulation
    Down top and botto
    Suspension
    Hammock gear
    Images
    That is so cool!
    Predictions are risky, especially when it comes to the future.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & down bag
    I had a cot that I used for weekend campouts when I was in the National Guard about 40 years ago. That cot is still in the basement I think. It had a frame that was made of aluminum tubing with four "U" shaped legs. With tubing as side frames. There was not cross frame other than the legs. Fabric for the cot was very loose from side to side. It would lay very much like a bridge hammock. I would be only 2 or 3 inched off of the ground with this cot. If you could fabricate some type of frame something like that could work.
    Another idea is Grizz's four post vintage hammock suspension for an in truck bridge.

Hammock
    home-made
    Tarp
    home-made
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Walking Bear View Post
    I had a cot that I used for weekend campouts when I was in the National Guard about 40 years ago. That cot is still in the basement I think. It had a frame that was made of aluminum tubing with four "U" shaped legs. With tubing as side frames. There was not cross frame other than the legs. Fabric for the cot was very loose from side to side. It would lay very much like a bridge hammock. I would be only 2 or 3 inched off of the ground with this cot. If you could fabricate some type of frame something like that could work.
    I have a set of cots that sound very similar to this. Mine are somewhere between 10-15 years old and I'm sure they came from Wal-Mart. I have used them in the bed of a Ford Ranger fairly well. Since it was a 6' bed, I had to rest one end on the edge of the bed and the other one was able to lie flat. So I had a "recliner" of sorts. It made for some decent sleeping and super-fast set-up. Certainly beat having to set up the tent.

No suggestions that haven't already been given about setting up a hammock, though.
    www.Adventure-Some.com
    More Adventure in Your Daily Life

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12