Hammock
    ENO DN at home, WB Traveler camping
    Tarp
    Silnylon 8X10
    Insulation
    Dry Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    I've only used my WB sock once at about 40° I think, basically to see how much warmer it was inside using minimal bottom insulation. 1/8 in ccf in my DL Traveler. Worked great with no condensation. I did have the zipper about half open.

Before hammocking I used a goretex bivy sack and tarp for many years. Only a couple of times did I have condensation and that was very minimal. I bring this up because I've suspected for years that many people are over insulated and sweating a lot inside socks and or bivys creating the environment for condensation. Perhaps experimenting with less insulation or vented insulation at home inside a sock where a person can bail or have options close at hand would be worthwhile. This is just me, but I have regularly slept to the low 20s with a forty degree sleeping bag and wearing a medium weight base layer top and light weight bottom in my goretex bivy with little to no condensation and comfortably warm. And yes, I do have a slight advantage here in Arizona in that the air is usually but not always drier. Still, I think it's worth the time to experiment with different (i.e. less) insulation setups when using a sock.
    "The clearest way into the Universe is through a forest wilderness." John Muir

Hammock
    DIY,Speer,Tbird, JRB
    Tarp
    HG CF, MacCat, GG
    Insulation
    HG,JRB,Speer,UGQ
    Suspension
    numerous, seasonal
    Images
    The only sock I have been able to make work at the FBH in MN was of cotton, with venting at the ends. But at 20 degrees they don't work as well as an UQP, just to much moisture to manage

Check out some of my photos and This video from 2013

TZ
    Life's A Journey
    It's not to arrive safely at the grave in a well preserved body,
    But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting,
    Woo Hoo!....What a Ride!

My PHOTOS

My VIDEOS

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG zero incubator
    I personally never use a sock or overcover, I cannot say that they do not work if they did not no one would be buying them. My choice is probably due to the way I was taught to sleep when I was younger and that was to seal up everything except my face to prevent breathing into my bag. I can see how the overcover could add to the ambient warmth inside the hammock but as far as keeping myself warm I just use the appropriate UQ TQ/ Sleeping bag combination. I have been down to 8 below and was very comfy. Plus when You use a OC you are negating one of the best things about a hammock and that is the view

I am not bashing OC's Im sure they work, but I don't think there really is anyway to prevent condensation. I think you would have to have fabric so breathable it would defeat the purpose of having it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    I have only taken my sock down a little below freezing on three trips and they were all in relatively damp conditions. Once with fog in the morning. All near the Atlantic coast.

Condensation was not much of an issue with me.

I suspect that condensation would be a bigger problem in temps much colder than freezing because ice would form on the sock blocking air circulation.

Also consider spindrift/spray factor. It's nice to be able to pull the sock over when winds are kicking moisture around under your tarp.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Moisture build up in winter sock?

A sock adds some warmth no question about it. I made one out if M90. Light and blocked the wind. The problem is it becomes a frost cave in the deep cold.

In my opinion....buy more down from HG

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blaktee View Post
    A sock adds some warmth no question about it. I made one out if M90. Light and blocked the wind. The problem is it becomes a frost cave in the deep cold.
    In my opinion....buy more down from HG
    That still won't protect you from light fluffy snow blowing around landing on your face. I just hate that.
    I have not been able to test my wintergnome is sub freezing weather yet. I hope with proper venting it won't become a frost cave as you discribed.

I did get to test this covered hammock once on a 14-57F January 3 day 2 night hang and had no condensation inside with visible frost on the outside of the hammock and underside of the tarp.

Photos from that trip:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandb...7632548939206/

Looking forward to this winter.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Moisture build up in winter sock?

Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    That still won't protect you from light fluffy snow blowing around landing on your face. I just hate that.
    I have not been able to test my wintergnome is sub freezing weather yet. I hope with proper venting it won't become a frost cave as you discribed.

I did get to test this covered hammock once on a 14-57F January 3 day 2 night hang and had no condensation inside with visible frost on the outside of the hammock and underside of the tarp.

Photos from that trip:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/outandb...7632548939206/

Looking forward to this winter.
    I lay a small blanket over my face or use a neckie for the blowing snow. Think if a face blanket. Fleece seems to work the best cuz it sucks up the moisture and keeps it off the down

Hammock
    One of my creations
    Tarp
    one of my DIYs
    Insulation
    DIY down or PL
    Suspension
    Something Ti
    I use a neoprene mask like this for snowboarding and used it in my hammock earlier this fall. My face was nice and warm all night in the upper 20's. I'm not sure how much of the moisture it traps inside the mask but I know it's some.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    I sort of consider the tarp and sock combination to be like a double wall winter tent.

The tarp is like the outer wall and the sock the inner wall.

If the inner wall on a double wall tent isn't breathable and ventilated enough, condensation and ice will be an issue on the inside..

I have heard many stories about people trying to make their tents warmer by blocking and/or closing vents. Only to wake with heavy condensation or ice build up.

There is a tendency to want to close a sock up with only a small opening, because it is warmer and just like the inside of a tent, you need air flow.

Having a highly breathable sock and having a good sized opening near the top helps vent the warmer moist air out the top and draw drier air in the opening and through the fabric.

Like a double walled winter tent, this should avoid much of the condensation and ice buildup issue.
    It won't be as warm, but will still be warmer than without a sock.

There are some that ventilate by leaving openings on the ends.
    I close the ends to block wind blown rain and snow and believe the top vent more effective and easier to adjust.

If the ends are open, you can get too much air circulation or not enough depending on the wind direction.
    A great many people think they are thinking when they are merely rearranging their prejudices.
    -- William James

I'm confused - can you help?

Very informative post - thanks everyone for all the input and sharing your experiences.

Brooklynkayak, a while back you you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    It is very breathable and although I have slept in cold fog, I have not had an issue with condensation, but I always leave the zipper partially open near my face.
    I assume the WB sock has the same inverted "U" zipper like their bugnet? Do you mean you leave an opening at the lower end of that inverted "U" (the one closest to your head?

Later, you said:
    Quote Originally Posted by brooklynkayak View Post
    I close the ends to block wind blown rain and snow and believe the top vent more effective and easier to adjust.
    In this case, do you mean leaving an opening at the top of the inverted "U" (in the middle of the zipper)?

If I got that right then I guess this is different configurations for different conditions? Can you expound on that a little? If I got it wrong, can you help clear it up for me?

I'm just trying to figure this whole sock thing out because I want to make a DIY sock and I want to have a plan for how I'll use it before I sketch out a pattern (just a sock, sock with a zipper, where to put the zipper, etc., etc.)

Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast