WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

UQ + Pad Stack temps?

I did a DIY UQ, using the UQ calc it should be rated to at least 15 degrees maybe more, I am not positive of the quality of the down so better safe than sorry. I also have a Exped downlite 5 rated to 10 degrees. Will these to feed into each other to get me below 0, i would like to be safe down to -20. Also i will hopefully be adding a spindrift sock to the ridgerunner. But the pad and diy UQ are all i go for now.

(Also i will have a 15 degree synthetic mummy bag and a 0 degree down mummy bag for top insulation, I think this will be good for that)

Will i die/be cold if i sleep -15 outside? I know there is only one way to know for sure is to test, but we are only getting into the 20s at this point. I got a month to figure it out.

Does a undercover help with warmth at all if i end up not getting a sock? Or will it at least help the UQ not lose temp via wind.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Side thought.....

If i used a +25 degree sleeping bag liner, and just the UQ with a Sock would this get my temp down low enough?

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Vincethebutcher View Post
    Side thought.....

If i used a +25 degree sleeping bag liner, and just the UQ with a Sock would this get my temp down low enough?
    I don't think a sleeping bag liner will help you any to keep your back warm. The sock's or UQP/UC's main advantage will be to keep the wind from sucking all the warmth out of your under quilt, but it might add 10 or 15F.

But there's no reason why the pad plus the under quilt should not get you well below zero. Except for the possibility that they don't work as good together as the numbers would theoretically indicate they should. I would think, theoretically, 30 below or more. But it's impossible to know if everything will fit together perfectly. It would be possible for a pad to interfere with the fit of an under quilt. It is not as cut and dry as just doublin up on pads, where the fit is pretty tight and one pad does not interfere with another, no fit issues. Or even more simple, just using a thicker pad.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 11-09-2013 at 21:06.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I would test your set-up close to home before you commit to the Woods.
    Hard to say what will keep you good and comfy in Sub 0º Minnesota temps.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Claytor
    Tarp
    MacCat delux Spinn
    Insulation
    CCF and Quilts
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Images
    I agree with Shug. Test close to home and in various temps with different configurations. You will learn a lot about your gear, what it is capable of , and how differeny combinations work together (or dont).

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I was wondering the same thing and thinking about inserting my thermarest between the layers of a double hammock . I noticed on a campout a few weeks ago some condensation at the small of my back when useing a cheap closed cell pad in conjunction with a homemade UQ . I just wonder if the pad might add some R factor but cause moisture build up which could be killer at below zero on the second night .
    Ive been experimenting with a sheep skin that I bought at auction some years ago and this seems a much better solution since it does not slip around in the hammock and is breathable .
    It also maintains loft while laying on it . I remember a ground camper who was camping in Yugoslavia a lot extolling the virtues of sheep skin . I have no idea where in H to get another one however .

Im trying to prepare for our Huron Natl Forest hang on Jan . 10 which will be much colder then Im used to, potentially anyway .

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I'm hoping to get out and do some camping next week, hopefully the weather will get cold enough i can get some good tests in.

At 35 deg in my underquilt rated at 20 it's always very comfortable.

If I add 1/4" evazote foam pad, it's ragingly hot. Huge difference!

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    Even a thin ccf pad will add alot of warmth to an UQ as long as it does not affect the seal as Bilbob pointed out. It is also a vapour barrier so a small amount of condensation can occur. Trick with a vapour barrier is to use much less insulation then you think neccesary to start and add as needed. Not the other way round.

Hammock
    The Ninja (HikingDad Special)
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    NF Down DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I was going to give the same advice as Shug there. Try it at home first, I just finish a DIY UQ and I have been sleeping in it every night as the temps drop just to see how cold she'll go. Last thing you want to do, is be out in the woods and COLD!

• + New Posts