Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Underquilt set up question

Just making my own under quilt.... I'm taking notes ... Thanks for sharing !!

Hammock
    GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Here is an update on this. It was 26 degrees last night. The coldest we have had so far to test. We set up the hammocks on the porch. My Dutch stuff has not come in yet, so we rigged the underquilts with shock cord ties at both ends. We loosened the cinching on the ends to lay with the contour of the hammock. The hardest part was donning only one measly baselayer of skivvies. It felt so wrong as we ran to the hammocks! We also had hats. My son and I have a 5 degree down bags and usually zip it up but left it open like a topquilt for testing. Hubby has a 0 degree UGQ topquilt. We were pre warmed going in. ( being inside, no cold toes) I could immediately feel inside the hammock warming up. When I was all bundled I never felt that at all. At one point in the middle of the night it was like a furnace in there and I had to vent heat OUT! I can't tell you how releaved I am. We all slept toasty, hubby also had to vent out heat at one point.
    Thank you for all the suggestions everyone!

Hammock
    Hammeck Envy or DIY
    Tarp
    DIY hex or winter
    Insulation
    WL 3/4 UQ, DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Speed Hooks (IGD)
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Durangoz View Post
    Here is an update on this. It was 26 degrees last night. The coldest we have had so far to test. We set up the hammocks on the porch. My Dutch stuff has not come in yet, so we rigged the underquilts with shock cord ties at both ends. We loosened the cinching on the ends to lay with the contour of the hammock. The hardest part was donning only one measly baselayer of skivvies. It felt so wrong as we ran to the hammocks! We also had hats. My son and I have a 5 degree down bags and usually zip it up but left it open like a topquilt for testing. Hubby has a 0 degree UGQ topquilt. We were pre warmed going in. ( being inside, no cold toes) I could immediately feel inside the hammock warming up. When I was all bundled I never felt that at all. At one point in the middle of the night it was like a furnace in there and I had to vent heat OUT! I can't tell you how releaved I am. We all slept toasty, hubby also had to vent out heat at one point.
    Congratulations on a successful cold weather hang. Now just wait until you are all snuggled in the downy cocoon deep in the woods....heaven on (or a few feet above the) earth.
    "Mountains should be climbed with as little effort as possible and without desire. ... To live only for some future goal is shallow. It’s the sides of the mountain that sustain life, not the top. Here's where things grow." - Robert M. Pirsig

Subscribe to my YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/PaCampingDad

Hammock
    GTSB-Pro/DIY
    Tarp
    Hen. Hex
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/whoopies
    Thanks Doogie. I loved the snow hang pics you posted in another thread. I hope to experience that once we get it all figured out.

Hammock
    Switchback/Speer/T-Bird/WBBB/Lt Owl
    Tarp
    SF/CF/Cldburst/Oge
    Insulation
    Incub/Buro/Snugfit
    Suspension
    Cinch Straps
    Congrats on a nice toasty hang. We often want to add too many clothes when it is cold out, hence hindering our bodies ability to warm up the quilts. It just doesn't seem right to wear less when it is so cold out. I'm still learning everyday, and I guess that is a good thing.
    "No whining in the woods"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Durangoz View Post
    That is an excellent report. Is it stupid that seeing your success made me a little teary eyed? Just love seeing hammock friends find success and happiness.

I'm good now....

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12