Hammock
    DH Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ WD!, HG CF
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Whoopie & Straps
    All I can say is WOW! This was our first hang and it was certainly an awesome weekend. By Sunday, I felt as though many of the forum folks and families we met were like extended family. I can't imagine a nicer bunch.

My daughter kept asking when we'd be doing it again. That is HUGE for a 10 year old. She's usually bored with camping activities within the first few hours. This was not only Claire's first weekend out on a hang, but literally her very first weekend to spend nights in a hammock. She LOVED it!! However her favorite activity involved the lighting of the Swedish candle and colored flames in the bonfire that Allen did or did not start.

To make a great weekend nearly perfect, I took home the amazing UGQ Winter Dream tarp with pole mod!!!!! I cannot tell you how much we love that prize. I admired the UGQ Quilts and Tarps all weekend long and will be probably be ordering more from their website. Their products are beautifully crafted.

I cannot remember to name everyone we were able to speak to and get to know just a bit, but it was wonderful to meet the Wannabee's, Curtis, Slinky & Max, Old Gringo, Caveman, Brute, Corncob, Brandi and family, Sarge & many many others. Uncle Mike and firends whipped up a mean breakfast taco bar to feed an army of hungry hammackers. A special thanks to Pinenut and his generous family for taking time on Sunday to show me how to work with amsteel before heading home!!

We'll be looking forward to meeting up with friends old and new at the next Texas Hang!
    There are two types of people in the world: Those who crave closure

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole w/ pole
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Brute1100 View Post
    Awesome weekend... My highlight had nothing to do with hammocks though... I got to play Indiana Jones for a little bit!!!

Other than that the rest of the weekend was as expected, great friends, too much food, laughing so much your face hurts, laughing so much you lose your voice, realizing some people can't handle their liquids, checking out dozens and dozens of set ups, helping out some new friends, and realizing no one on this forum is sane... I wouldn't have it any other way...
    That was hilarious. One minute, Erin was hanging out at the campsite, and before we realized she was gone, you guys drove by. What an awesome weekend. Finally got to use my TQ/UQ setup in cool weather

Hammock
    11' DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Smokehouse HM Su
    Insulation
    sleeping bag conv
    Suspension
    Web and rings
    Thanks everyone for a great time. This was Jan's first hang & she loved it! The Grand Trunk hammock she picked up at the drawing was the icing on the cake. I had to put a suspension on it Sunday night when we got home and set it up on the front porch so she could try it. She's now talking about where I should put the hooks in the house so she can hang there. You Texas folks know how to throw a great party. Thanks Mike! Fabulous time. Rat, I know I talked your ear off--but thanks for all the tech talk! Dave, couldn't make it without your coffee & conversation.

Hammock
    DIY 126 x 60 Tablecloth
    Tarp
    JRB 10 x 11
    Insulation
    New River/Owhyee
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Next year the Rat Mischief will plan a little better (totally my fault BTW) so we can have more time with the early arrivals. Y'all have no idea how I needed this trip; I love my new job but but I REALLY needed a break! The hang was just what the doctor would have ordered, if I had a doctor...

I propose for next year a photography class/tutorial/outing type thing. I LOVE to shoot, but I don't have the creative eye that y'all do (matthew200tx, Carpio etc). I just generally take a lot of shots which allows me to 'accidentally' get enough good ones to share with everyone. I have the technical stuff down, ISO, aperture, f-stop etc, but I lack the vision. I propose a camera workshop where we could discuss the technical side of shooting, and then a walk in the woods to learn the creative, what-to-look-for side of shooting. I can handle the technical stuff if we can have someone else (or two) handle the creative stuff. Just something to think about, no need to commit now...

This shot, for example, would have never even crossed my mind! But it is such a cool shot!

We had such a blast, like we always do! Gage slept about half of the way home and is definitely ready for next year; nice to have other kids to play with he said!

It was great to see so many kids, girls and women and this year's hang! I don't get the lack of kids and women at camp activities like this; I guess I have just always dragged Gage and Roz along with me! I love to see families in the woods (except for my little brother's family, but that's another story!), it really makes me feel like this country might have a chance after all!

Enough rambling, y'all get the idea...

On to the next hang!
    "I aim to misbehave." - Capt. Mal Reynolds
    Mind of a Rat Youtube Channel

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Looks like you guys had a great time. I'm going to try my hardest to make it next year.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Dangerbird 72
    Tarp
    HH Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Ooh, a photo workshop -- I could get into that!
    "Can't we all just live in trees and hammocks?"
    -- Sam Gribley, My Side of the Mountain

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    A few more...

<>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    NX250, Envy, Appalachian
    Tarp
    one with doors
    Insulation
    UGQ down
    Suspension
    straps &amp; Dutch's
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleMJM View Post
    The HammEck was a hit.

It's a great looking piece of gear. Excellent craftsmanship and price. I don't see how they will make much selling them because they are a real bargain.

I know that Lostagain was excited to win it and don't mind saying I'm a bit jealous.

I can see it as a great entry hammock for scouts, youth groups, and others just getting into the hammock world. It's also a good option for those who have a full blown camping rig with netting but are looking for something for cooler weather when the bugs are away.
    Yes I was and Yes I am excited to get hanging in it. BUT...in reading the text that came with the hammock I saw that it will only hold 225 lbs. That's a bit less than my fat butt weighs, so I contacted them and David at Hammeck is absolutely great to work with. I'm sending it back and he's going to add a layer, credit me with the cost of the hammock and only charge me shipping + the material cost!

Aside form winning the hammeck, I also was awarded with new friendships, and meeting some really great folks. First guy I met was Tarp and it just got better from there. I had an absolutely great time for my first ever group hang and will be coming to many more.

I also like the idea of a photo workshop. I've got an old school film camera that's great for composition shots. (Rat: every good photographer takes a billion shots in the hope of getting 1 good one. Sometime I'll tell you about my time at National Geographic).
    Remember...no matter where you go...there you are.

"I have said that Texas is a state of mind, but I think it is more than that. It is a mystique closely approximating a religion". - John Steinbeck

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    So your saying Tarp was the bottom of the barrel huh... Nothing but love for my brother tarp, best person I have ever known for remembering names... And a interesting guy to boot...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    WB/Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Winter Palace.
    Insulation
    Lynx
    Suspension
    Straps/cinch bkls
    The Photo workshop sounds like a winner to me, I can always benifit from someone elses experience.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast