DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    Quote Originally Posted by akiligar View Post
    Ya, I'm a newbie, but what is the best way to start the process of sharing that there are ways to protect the tree's with park staff or the people who actually make the rules? How do we better educate those who could make the knee-jerk ban decision so they start to see the light?.
    Lead by example. When asked about your hammock FIRST point out the positive environmental benefits. Demonstrate straps and stick tree wraps for the protection of bark. Right manufacturers, these instructions should be part of every Eno, Walmart or any other mass available hammok.

The rangers probably are dis-allowing anything that uses tree wrapping for suspension, clothes lines, bear bags, whatever. Anything that wraps around a tree is probably suspect, Hammocks of course is a natural ban item in those cases.

When I took the kids out to see the presidents on the hill, we went and toured the nearby cave. The tour guides stressed, no they berated us all for being in Their cave. Tourism had brought in lint, dirt, pieces of paper, just tons of extras that were changing the cave from it's natural form. The worst impact was when they put in an employee parking lot up top and the runoff "extra greasy" thanks to the new Ashpalt, was coming in through the cave. The whole tour, about an hour, was berating us for coming into their world and killing it. While we waited for the elevator ride up out of this place, Mr. Snarky asked if there were any questions he hadn't answered yet. I asked him what he had if he DIDN't have the cave tours. Blankely he said he didn't understand. I told him HE didn't have a job, none of his freinds here had jobs, Nobody KNEW about the wonders hiding under their feet, nobody discovered problems caused sub-terrain do to the fact nobody gave a **** about a hole in the ground. Perhaps he should change the thrust of his tour away from "Stupid tourists" to "Examples of Nature" that we'd like to protect and what we could learn from them if we did.

Man literally wanted to live life with his head in the sand lest any decission he made affect his environment. Probably thought it was a bad idea we came out of the trees in the first place.

Lead by example, do it right, SHOW how to do it right. Realize even then, we're going to have some damage. Normal camp sites look like a blight on the earth anyways. Save a fire ring, a camp site needs not be noticeable IF you even need the fire ring. Man has left those since the dawn of time, I think they're natural.

Hi everybody,

Can someone please guide me to the thread or post where it says that hammocks are not welcome? I had planned to head out to a state park on Whidbey Island, WA in the next week, but now I'm scared that I'll get there and they'll tell me to pack up and leave. Since I don't have a backup plan maybe I should get one? It is an island....

Thanks,

Don

Images
    This thread was started a long time ago I would not trust much of what you read in it.
    Check the State Parks website for up to date camping rules and regs.
    Alot has changed and State parks are coming around to hammocks.

Good Luck

OutandBack,

Thanks for the heads-up. I'll do just that.

Don

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Nylon
    Suspension
    Woopie slings
    Thanks for that reply. I wish it would sink in when yo tell people why you use straps. knowledge is power. The pictures really shows the example of what not to do.

Hammock
    Grand Trek Ultralight - OD Green
    Tarp
    Tenth Wonder Camo
    Insulation
    MSS 4 part system
    Suspension
    Various
    Intersting, I have hung hammocks, at times more than one in my State park visits last year and no one has said boo about it. Deception Pass, Fort Ebey, Rasar, Larabee, , South Whidbey Island... Maybe I just look harmless? This shot is my family enjoying the sunset at South Whidbey Island, on the beach amongst some serious driftwood. 101_7950 (Large).JPG

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    I have also hung with not questions asked in WA parks - Washington Park in Anacortes, the Parks in the San Juan Islands, etc. I always use straps on my hammock and I use about 3mm cord for the tarp. I could use smaller, but I think the "visual" of the thicker cord is better PR. The tarp doesn't put nearly the "cut" in the tree as a loaded hammock.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    We Hang in Washington State a lot, I have never had any issues about the hammocks. We have been Hanging for about 7 or 8 years now in all sorts of places, we have had park rangers look over our set-up, but never any comments. I think they were more concerned about making sure the dogs were under control.

We were recently in the Eugene, OR area, we ended up spending a night in a popular park, I was shocked when I went to hang my hammock to find deep gouges is the two tree's I had planned on using. The gouges were exactly where my suspension would go. I felt so sad to think someone would do that to our wonderful trees, especially someone that Hangs.

I really think we should all write letters to the hammock suppliers about educating the purchasers of hammocks to be good world citizens and use straps instead of cord to suspend hammock(s). Also if hammock distributors helped to educate their target market, they would be good corporate citizens. Letters delivered by snail mail carry a lot more weight toward making changes than phone calls or Email.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    WB MountainFly
    Insulation
    Magma + Incubator
    Suspension
    Beetle
    Resurrecting an old thread - has anyone had any problems being hassled by rangers/admins on recent hangs in WA State or Oregon?
    I've hung at Ohanapecosh and Ft. Flagler this year with no issues.

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL LiteOwl
    Tarp
    OES, WL BullFro
    Insulation
    HG UQ, TQ, WB UQ
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    It seems the "No Hammocks" theme is something a park official can keep in her/his back pocket. I have been in Washington and Canadian parks and have been told they aren't "officially" allowed. But, upon seeing my setup - with webbing on trees and clean/neat camp area, I've gotten a pass.

But even so, I plan to use two inch straps when I know I'll be in a formal park - better visuals. If possible, I take my hammock down when not in use. For example, I was at a kayak park in Canada and each morning, before the park guy who collects the money came around, I'd unhook from the tree and store the hammock in my paddling partners tent. In the evening I just had to wrap the strap around the tree and Dutch Clip it. Everything else was already connected.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast