DIY HEX70 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY Sylpoly Cat
    Insulation
    CCF pad w/ TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/MSH

Bottom Insulation opinions

I'm in a battle with myself about what bottom insulation system would be best for my needs. I only camp/backpack about two to three times per year. Only in spring and fall because I'm a hot sleeper. Those spring and fall nights usually get down to approximately 30F. I've only used my hammock to relax while camping not camping in my hammock. I'm, as of right now, a 100% tent camper.

I'm planning a two day hike spring '14 and want to try hammock camping. I'm planning on being a hammock camper on hikes with buddies but when the family goes its back to a tent. Because, my wife and I would have our toddler daughter with us, so no hammocking for me on family trips.

I have a rather large pack (~60L) so space wouldn't really be an issue. I'm thinking just a full length CCF pad (SPE) would be the way to go as a pad would be needed for a 3/4 length UQ anyways.

Not looking for an answer because no question was asked. I'm just looking for your experiences have been and your opinions. Thanks!
    Last edited by SmokyMtnHiker; 11-11-2013 at 13:56. Reason: Post addition

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Pads will work just fine for you, and bulk/volume does not seem to be a problem.

The hammock itself is an improved sleeping system for most, compared to ground. The use of a pad, does little to detract from that initial aspect. Using an UQ, once again, for most, is an even greater step up in comfort and warmth. You can go lower, and when deployed correctly provides an all around warmth, that a pad cannot.

I use a 3/4 length UQ and do not use a pad. I stuff my down jacket under my legs and feet. It's way more comfortable and seems to stay in place better than a small pad. It also means I have a warm jacket to slip on, when I have to get up and out of all that down goodness.

UQ's can be a large investment, but if you know what you want and are diligent, you can pick one up used, off of HF's forum, for right at or less than you can buy a top of the line air pad. My 20* HG Clone cost $75.00.

For now, if you can use pads for both backpacking and family camping, they are probably the way to go. Later on, if you find pack weight, warmth or bulk, becomes an issue, it will be easy enough to resolve.
    Signature suspended

Full length CCF pad is a bit overkill, especially considering bulkiness. 3/4 length (about 48 inches) is good enough. A small pillow in the footbox of the sleeping bag keeps feet warm.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    If possible, test your gear at home, not on a family backpacking trip.

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    +1 on this. I thought I had my new setup all ready to go and woke up cold and wet at 430am not too long ago. Thankfully I was in my back yard and not miles from nowhere.

Hammock
    DIY HEX70 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY Sylpoly Cat
    Insulation
    CCF pad w/ TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by dakine View Post
    Full length CCF pad is a bit overkill, especially considering bulkiness. 3/4 length (about 48 inches) is good enough. A small pillow in the footbox of the sleeping bag keeps feet warm.
    True; however, wouldn't an extra pillow be more bulky than 12 more inches of rolled up CCF?. I do have a pretty decent sleeping bag that I'll use as a TQ. It's a 20F mummy bag with a foot box.

Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    No need to test family camping gear at home. My family camping gear is 98% prefect. The hammocking gear is strictly a soloist thing. I live in an apartment (sadly [the apt]) with my wife and daughter. The only place I can test my hammock gear overnight, other than a campground, is in my mothers backyard. LOL at 31 I can't, with a straight face, tell my wife, 'I'm going to sleep in my mom's backyard.

But yes I do agree a test run is a good idea. If I can finagle a test run I definitely will.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
    True; however, wouldn't an extra pillow be more bulky than 12 more inches of rolled up CCF?. I do have a pretty decent sleeping bag that I'll use as a TQ. It's a 20F mummy bag with a foot box.
    Doesn't have to be a bulky pillow, for example an inflatable sit pad, or even a folded sweater or jacket works fine.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images

pad length

Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
    ...wouldn't an extra pillow be more bulky than 12 more inches of rolled up CCF?
    If you're talking about a pillow from your bed at home, then yes. Do the math on the volume of a cylinder the 12" of CCF makes and compare that to a camping pillow, especially a down one, and I think you'll find the comparison swings far the other way.

When I used a pad, I used a 60" Big Agnes Insulated air pad. I found that 1) the airpad conformed better, but was a little more slippery in the hammock than the CCF, 2) the air pad was much less bulk, 3) I never found a need for insulation under my head while wearing a stocking cap, and 4) having my legs hang off the short pad actually made my lay a bit flatter.

As for #4 above, you won't have the same effect on a short CCF pad because its not as thick as was my 3" air pad. But, I would say you definitely don't want a full length pad - the ends of the pad will go up on each end as the hammock does and that kind of accentuates the banana shape and will typically mean an end of the pad is sticking out over the hammock material where the hammock narrows near the gathered end.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    DIY HEX70 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY Sylpoly Cat
    Insulation
    CCF pad w/ TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/MSH

Re: Bottom Insulation opinions

Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    If you're talking about a pillow from your bed at home, then yes. Do the math on the volume of a cylinder the 12" of CCF makes and compare that to a camping pillow, especially a down one, and I think you'll find the comparison swings far the other way.

When I used a pad, I used a 60" Big Agnes Insulated air pad. I found that 1) the airpad conformed better, but was a little more slippery in the hammock than the CCF, 2) the air pad was much less bulk, 3) I never found a need for insulation under my head while wearing a stocking cap, and 4) having my legs hang off the short pad actually made my lay a bit flatter.

As for #4 above, you won't have the same effect on a short CCF pad because its not as thick as was my 3" air pad. But, I would say you definitely don't want a full length pad - the ends of the pad will go up on each end as the hammock does and that kind of accentuates the banana shape and will typically mean an end of the pad is sticking out over the hammock material where the hammock narrows near the gathered end.
    I do have an REI 2.5" air pad I was thinking about using. It's a full length pad though. It is rather bulky. But I already have it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 sngl /Sock
    Tarp
    Z-Packs
    Insulation
    EE and WM
    Suspension
    Whoopie/sshackles
    Also, make sure you consider the width.
    A narrow sleeping pad won't give enough coverage unless you supplement with something for the sides. You need 36" or more of width around the torso area to avoid cold shoulders.
    There are lots of workarounds and pad extensions to do this.

Another option is getting a used underquilt.

I have seen a lot of inexpensive used sleeping bags out that have full length zippers that can be used as underquilts when fully unzipped and hung properly. You may want to sew flaps to make hanging easy, but there are clips for this purpose.

Just yesterday I saw someone selling their underquilt for $100. They had made it out of a quality sleeping bag.

There are also people who will convert your sleeping bag into an underquilt. This underquilt can still be used as a ground sleeping quilt as well. So you are still covered even whne not in the hammock.

My favorite underquilt is an Enightenned Equipment top quilt that I hang as an underquilt and it works perfectly. But EE makes their top quilts to serve both purposes with the flaps already attached.

I feel that an underquilt is usually the lightest, most comfortable and of course compressible option when temps get below 40 deg f.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast