HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook

polycro hammock tarp, first real test

I found a lot of polycro in our basement left by the previous renters, our windows are new and we don't need the material anymore so I've been playing around with it for backpacking use. I finally got around to making a hammock tarp in the style of the hammockgear/zpacks tarps sans doors. I've used it in light winds and light rain before with success. This past weekend was slated to have light snow, rain and some good levels of wind, so I took it out for a test. The weather shifted a bit and our campsite did not have much in the way of wind, so all we got were ~1-1.5" of very fluffy snow. But it was a great test and I was able to take some photos in the morning (though after re-pitching one side). Initially it was set up in an A frame, and I did have to tap it throughout the night to get the snow off (I wake up 2-3 time randomly a night anyway so this time I just had to remember to tap the tarp a few times).

For the tarp ridgeline I use z-line for the tarp itself and Dutch tarp flyz to attach to the trees.
    For the tie outs I used Masons line and Nite Ize Figure 9 Rope Tightener, size small (basically a cheap, slightly heavier, mass produced version of the tarp flyz).

As you can see, I should have pitched with more height so the snow would fall off, though in my defense the storm hit ~6hrs early, and we did not expect that much snow fall overnight.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DIY
    Images

Dog pajamas?

Good test of the polycro, but where were you camping, and what did that dog have on?

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I second that....and where can I get one!

That could easily stretch shoulder season for Freckles "The Adventure Dog"
    Signature suspended

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG TQ,UQ, DIY
    Suspension
    Whoopies or rings
    Looks like the tarp held and the dog was sporting some warm goodness
    "I love not man the less, but Nature more."
    Byron

Hammock
    HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images
    OMG the dog is fashionable and in Union Suit....

seriously - interesting thread on polycro...
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    Bonefire™ Bridge
    Tarp
    Bonefire™ Shadow
    Insulation
    Bonefire™ UQ
    Suspension
    Bonefire™ Deluxe
    Images
    I love the warm suit for the pooch.

I've been thinking about trying my hand at working with polycro to make a sock for the winter. How was it to work with?
    -Jeremy "Brother Bones"
    Quote Originally Posted by FLRider View Post
    ...he's a mountain goat crossed with a marathoner.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Wait a minute! Who has to get out of their nice warm hammock if puppy has to GO?
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    HH Hyperlight Velcro, WB Trav 1.7S
    Tarp
    DIY Cuben w/ Doors
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    We were hiking the Western half of the Grafton Notch State Park Loop, we spent the night at the Slide Mountain Tent Site.

The pooch is wearing the Hurtta Waterproof Fleece Overall. it basically acts as his sleeping bag. They don't officially sell this piece of gear in the U.S., a friend in Slovenia purchased this for him and mailed it to me. They do sell other gear here, including a similar one without hind leg coverage. The neat thing is it provides him with full access for "facility usage" should he need, so I don't have to do anything, he'll just get up in the middle of the night and do his business.

I'm still training him to understand to sleep on a CCF pad on his own. He was spoiled by one of my old housemates who "let him" sleep under her legs on her pad, so the training has only really just started. This trip he was lucky and he slept in the tent with some of my ground sleeping friends. Usually he'll sleep under my hammock if the weather is inclement, otherwise he just picks a spot wherever and nests for the night. The CCF pad issue will be key for him keeping warm. I was also donated an old synthetic fill jacket for his use as a quilt/jacket for sleeping, so we need to see how that will work for him as well.

Polycro is fairly easy to work with. The doublesided tape it comes with is very strong (technically stronger than the polycro itself) so allows for sealing two edges together. For this tarp I taped two sheets together to form the ridgeline and then made an edge around the outter sides by taping the edge and folding it over to help increase the strength. I then used some black duct-type tape I had laying around that is fairly thick and strong to form the tieouts and to reinforce how I connected the the z-line ridge line. I could probably have gotten away with using half as much tape per tie out to save some weight.
    I do want to add a couple panel pullouts now and come up with a lighter method of securing the polycro to the ridgeline.

I do need to see if there was any measurable stretch in the material due to the snow weight, as that could limit it's usefulness as stretch would also mean decreased strength.

I imagine in rain only conditions however the material would be great, and allows for a great view of the sky. I'm still not sure how well it will hold up in heavy winds though.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Suspension
    Huggers & Whoopies
    This looks great! I'm jealous of the snow camping. I'm ready for some snow here in PA!

I'm surprised it held up so well to the snow. This looks like a winter project for sure. Thank you for sharing! And now I HAVE to find those outfits for my dogs. Hilarious.

• + New Posts