Hammock
    Warbonnet BlackBird 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    Zeppelin
    Suspension
    StrapsBeetleBuckle

Prolonged Hammocking = Curvature of the spine?

Howdy. Just wanted I throw it out there for discussion. I've been reading a post from an AT hiker who has been on the trail for over 6 months now, hammocking most of the time. His last post said that he thinks that perhaps his hammocking may be contributing to curving of his spine (what ever he meant by that)
    Swinging in the air with a flair.

Hammock
    The Quagmire/misc DIY/Eno DN
    Tarp
    WB SF
    Insulation
    Hg system(eventual
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies/UCR's
    Images
    Get Olddog in here, he is a full-timer, 365 days a year. I'm sure if there were any adverse effects, he'd know!
    I may be dumb, but at least I'm ugly!

I've done so much, with so little, for so long, now I can do anything with nothing.

It's not peer pressure, it's just your turn.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Imagine what sleeping on the ground is gonna do to his spine!

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 11 WB
    Insulation
    3S Phnx/1S GoLite
    Suspension
    Straps/Whoopies
    Images
    I'm a former full timer (for a little less than a year) and while I don't have any scientific/medical facts I do think that I have issues that are not caused by the hammock but are not averted due to the use of a hammock. Let me explain...

I have scoliosis and a bad back (from injuries) but sleeping in the hammock gave me a good nights sleep and a fairly pain free morning. I dove into the hammock thing because it was so good on my back and so comfortable in general. I believe (remember that this is just personal opinion) that the reason hammocks are so good for so many people's backs is because it doesn't cause muscle pain, which is what most folks have a problem with.

Fast forward through about a year of full time hammocking to February of this year. I had a very painful bulging disc in my back that is in an area that I have had issues (but no pain until Feb) with for many years and is probably completely due to my scoliosis but was brought on by lack of stretches/exercise and sub-optimal posture. This is where I think the hammock didn't help even as much as a bed would... it couldn't give me the structural support and manipulation to help recover my bad disc. I eventually started sleeping on the floor and after a couple of months of severe pain it started to get better.

When I finally started sleeping in my hammock again it took less than a week for me to start feeling the disc bulge again. That's when I formulated my hypothesis and have been sleeping on the floor (on a thin pad... but I'm actually comfortable... who knew) ever since.

Like I said, I have no proof other than a bulging disc from a curved spine that seems to get worse when I sleep in a hammock. Fortunately I can still do a few days here and there in the hammock.

I guess to summarize my long winded post: I think that the hammock is good if you have muscular pain but might not be helpful if you have skeletal/structural problems. Whether the hammock causes the problem or not, I really don't know (my guess is that a hammock wouldn't cause a problem but if a problem is already there then at times a hammock might not be a solution and could potentially make the problem worse).

Dave
    Last edited by samsara; 11-12-2013 at 21:09.
    The best things in life aren't things. -- Art Buchwald

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I sit in a chair a lot at work and in my car, I hope it doesn't contribute to the curvature of my hips or knees

Or, many people walk on their feet, yet, many of them still have arches in their feet

Just having some fun here.

He may not be laying in a hammock correctly.
    Seen many folks laying like a banana(in a curve). Laying on the bias is what makes the hammy so comfortable.

Edit: Dave, this was not directed towards you. We both ended up posting at the same time and you beat me by a few seconds.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Almost 2.5 years fulltimeing and no problems whatsoever. I do sleep on the diagonal but on the back or left side and recently even on the right some. Spent a few nights this summer both going to and coming from Maine in an RV. High dollar memory foam mattress and I was almost crippled every morning. Spent 2 .5 months in the hammock behind the RV thru the summer and all was well. Unfortunately there are a number of hammock hangers out there that haven't found the Forum and the wealth of information here.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    XLC, DIY, GT Dbl for day hiking
    Tarp
    WL OMW
    Insulation
    AHE KAQ JUQ, HG0B
    Suspension
    Web with Triangles
    Images
    I have a bad back, several spine related issues.

Nerve damage, discs deteriorated, compression...blah blah blah, meds, surgery, yada yada yada.

Full time since April and loving it.
    Back pain definitely less.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Floridahanger View Post
    He may not be laying in a hammock correctly.
    Seen many folks laying like a banana(in a curve). Laying on the bias is what makes the hammy so comfortable.
    Lying (slightly) diagonally in a gathered-end hammock may reduce the curve, but it is still a long way from 'flat' (flat=lying on the floor), as has been discussed a lot in other threads.

Hundreds of pics here demonstrate this - I've seen way more 'knees and feet in the air' pics than I needed!

We're lying on a stretchy bed, and most of our weight is in the middle of our bodies, so the curve is the result.

Even in my 'true diagonal suspension' hammock (Exped Ergo) with a fully inflated pad in the pocket, I'm sleeping in a curve. It is comfy!

I'm lucky - I can get a decent nights sleep in a bed (firm mattress), hammock (Ergo) or on a (thick) pad on the ground.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    As a general rule, I doubt hammock sleeping is problematic but there are always exceptions.

I've been in a hammock full time for over three years and my back thanks me for it every day.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    Lying (slightly) diagonally in a gathered-end hammock may reduce the curve, but it is still a long way from 'flat' (flat=lying on the floor), as has been discussed a lot in other threads.

Hundreds of pics here demonstrate this - I've seen way more 'knees and feet in the air' pics than I needed!

We're lying on a stretchy bed, and most of our weight is in the middle of our bodies, so the curve is the result...
    Not sure why your pointing this out since I didn't say anything about 'flat' or even flatlike.

I did mention, however, that lying in the hammock that gives the "banana look" is also giving the body a curve in the hammock, eluding that the "pronounced" curve may not be the best for the body and for comfort.

Some like a very hard surface, floor or board like, others a very soft surface and everything in between.

I did mention that the diaganal lay in a hammock may be the best use of the hammock for comfort.

Of course, not for all. My wife loves to rest but cannot sleep in a gathered end due to her leg and knee discomfort. I think a bridge may be in her future.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast