U G Q .
    Insulation
    U G Q .
    Suspension
    RSBTR STRAPS
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WTF-_-RANGER View Post
    Nice setup
    did you use the triangle method to make the end caps? If so what are the measurements?

No, i made them the way that Grizzly Adams does,, you can find the complete video tutorial on it in the diy forums,, They are in the sticky sub forums,,Or You can find it here...
    ..https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...Endcap-Origami
    Last edited by Zilla; 04-17-2014 at 09:05.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Alright guys and gals..... I know a lot of you are already in bug season, so consider this your official teaser I am just putting the finishing touches on the bug net and filming it. Hoping to have the video up tomorrow hope it helps.
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    ENO Doublenest
    Tarp
    Mamajamba
    Insulation
    USGI PL UQ&TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/straps
    Sorry if it has been answered, but what's the weight limit on this design? I'm hoping at least 300lbs...

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    When I originally made this I was 275 and had my son in the hammock with me. Together we were over 300. Still, I think I would do a double later, which would dramatically raise the max load.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge /Draumr
    Tarp
    DIY Silpoly
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    PolyStraps/Huggers
    Great video of the BugNet... Black on black was a bit tough, but I think I get the main parts. Thanks for doing such a great job on all the videos.

Definitely my next project.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men should do nothing.”

- Edmund Burke

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by FJRpilot View Post
    Great video of the BugNet... Black on black was a bit tough, but I think I get the main parts. Thanks for doing such a great job on all the videos.

Definitely my next project.
    yeah, it would have been good to do white and black or something again, but I used what I had. Glad it helped. If you need any clarity just ask on here or shoot me a pm.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    Etowah, gargoyle
    Insulation
    Wool, heater
    Suspension
    Varies
    Images
    In the midst of my angst working on my own DIY bridge, your video has given me the ideas needed to overcome the shortcomings I am having to complete my project.

Off to order more fabric.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    For those like myself who misunderstood the diagram on the material sheet (it says "not to scale") on the original post, a little geometry helped me define numbers for the ends, which in the material sheet look like, but aren't, equilateral triangles. On the picture below, the left side measurements mirror those of the right. One needs only to find the point 15" from each edge and 11.5" beyond the end of the hammock body to get the apex of each triangle. The apex is 18.5" from the corners. From the mid-point of the body, at 8.5+15" from the sides, one draws a line to the apex of each triangle. You cut along the sides marked 14.3(") and 18.5" Ignore the 38.4 degree angle (calculated).
    HikingDad diagram.jpg

Derivation from material sheet diagram:
    A right triangle is defined by the line marked 30", the line from midpoint of the end of the body 47"/2 = 23.5" to the corner of the body and a line from the midpoint to apex of the triangle. the cosine of the angle between sides 30" and 23.5" (or 47") = 23.5"/30"
    Using the larger section of the 30" side (30"-11.5"=18.5") and the angle 38.4 deg. and sine function finds the 11.5" height. 15" side follows from either pythagorean theorem or cosine or tangent function. Everything else is easy. Hope I didn't miss anything obvious.

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kayak4water View Post
    For those like myself who misunderstood the diagram on the material sheet (it says "not to scale") on the original post, a little geometry helped me define numbers for the ends, which in the material sheet look like, but aren't, equilateral triangles. On the picture below, the left side measurements mirror those of the right. One needs only to find the point 15" from each edge and 11.5" beyond the end of the hammock body to get the apex of each triangle. The apex is 18.5" from the corners. From the mid-point of the body, at 8.5+15" from the sides, one draws a line to the apex of each triangle. You cut along the sides marked 14.3(") and 18.5" Ignore the 38.4 degree angle (calculated).
    HikingDad diagram.jpg
    I've made one of these, with a 48" wide x 84" long body, with HikingDad's original angle of ~38.4 degrees (calculated and ignored above ) at one end and 30 degrees at the other end. The original measurements required trimming the end cap after sewing together the gap at the end. Using 30 degrees as the measurements, I did not trim the end cap after sewing and I couldn't tell the ends apart. My approach: on the imagined line from one corner to the other at each end make marks at 16", 24" and 32" Then from the 16 and 32" marks mark a point 9.25" away from the hammock body. Connect the those dots to the 24" mark and to the corners on the same sides, as below and cut on the lines marked 18.5" and 12.2" (about the lengths you'd get if you measured them)

Scan_20140629 (2).jpg

It's a really cool hammock!

Hammock
    11 ft. DIY
    Tarp
    Gimme Doors!
    Insulation
    HG Incub8r 20
    Suspension
    hugger+WS,spike
    Images

Posted pictures of my bridge hammock

Pictures:
    bridge1.jpg
    bridge2.jpgbridge3.jpgbridge4.jpg

AS others have pointed out, a tighter (lower angle) hang drastically reduces shoulder pressure. Crossing my legs or bringing a hand to midline made things interesting--no falls but a reminder of its lower stability for neophytes like me who started with gathered end hammocks. Lying on my side at the edge of the hammock, I felt I was on the verge of getting dumped, but didn't fall out. A friend laid an air mattress on top and found the ride quite exciting. Mattress users will want to build this as a double layer.

Inside length: 83". Shoulder width ~28" (for me, height 5'8.5") Center width: 34"

Suspension system: 36" spreader bars (0.625" diameter tent poles from QuestOutfitters) , 37" amsteel dogbones (each spliced from 52" ropes with a 1.5" loop at the hammock end and a 2.5" loop at the ring end), SMC rings, whoopie slings, tree straps with marlin spike hitch.

I'm happy that I started this project, but this bridge hammock has implications for use which I hadn't thought about nor read about on HF:
    1. Distance between suspension points. Measurements: Bar to bar 88" and bar to each ring 33" =total 154" (12' 10"). Using whoopie slings adds another 16 or so inches to each end. In practice I'd forgo the whoopies, larkshead the dogbones to cinch buckles and straps. Then I'd look for trees >12' 10" apart.
    2. A Fronkey style bug net would work, though one would need a very long piece of no-see-um netting to start. I'd just make Shug's ridge line attached bug net (see comment #4 in this link).
    3. Tarp length. I'd need a 13' tarp to cover the suspension triangle, or I could just tie on a few drip strings to stay dry when rain falls.
    4. Spreader bar weight. I may adapt a trekking pole to work with the system, but until I do, will likely take it to the woods with the spreader bars.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kayak4water; 07-03-2014 at 01:26. Reason: images didn't make it intact

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast