Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by phoenixdadeadhead View Post
    ....... but I am getting older, and sleeping on the hard ground or a wooden shelter isn't as nice as it used to be, and I don't like cumbersome pads lol. I have always been a side sleeper, which might explain why I wasn't a fan of the net hammocks we had when I was young. .......... and think the bridge hammock looks promising. Here's my deal though, I am scared I will feel confined, and uncomfortable. SO do I just make 1 and hope I will like it?
    Sounds like you are half way there already if you don't like the hard, uneven, wet, root/rock covered ground!

Just how big a boy are 'ya? The bridge hammock approach is uber comfy for me, and superb for side sleeping, though not necessarily for full fetal, which you probably can't do. Unless you do make your own and make it with pretty wide spreader bars, maybe 33 or 36 inch or more. Or, if you use a full width pad which helps to sort of "widen" the hammock floor.

The other great thing is that, at least with the JRB BH, it is extremely easy to turn over on either side and even a little bit- sort of- on your belly, due to the stiff top edges. I just brace one arm on one edge and use that for leverage to turn over- hard to describe but the easiest by far of all hammocks. I use these same edges to grip and pull myself up or down in the hammock.

But, the WBBB is just fine for fetal position, and has a lot of room in the shoulders. Each is great and each has it's own set of pros and cons. Enjoy figuring it out, and welcome to the hammock world ( the dark side!) if you decide to join us!

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Definitely get to a hangout! There isn't a better way to make that decision than to try them out. Word of warning, you'll want more than one. Don't say you weren't warned.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Just Jeff's site is also another great resource for those waning to find out more about hammocks.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Thanks for all the great advice, as for the Hot Springs this weekend, there is nothing I would rather do than be in or around Asheville, but there is no way I will be able to make it. My next hike is mothers day weekend, I am taking some of the nephews to Shenendoah, which would be a great place to test a hammock. For those of you in the Asheville area, I am taking my nephew on a week+ hike in June. We will probably start out at clingman's dome, and hike to the Dam. Yeah I know we are slow hikers lol. If we seem to make it there in short order we will continue on. It would be nice to bump into others from the forums.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12