Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images

UQ Stack Test

I had trouble doing this once before, but tried stacking my 20 and 40 Incubators again. 20 on hammock, 40 on the outside. This worked really well since the 40 has the old suspension and can be set up MUCH looser. I set the 20 up as usual, then lightly hugged it with the 40. Stays in place without any issues.

I got in and realized I have a BLAST FURNACE! I bet this would get me to 0 or lower. Not the bulk I would want to backpack with, but for a really cold winter trip here and there it may get me by to save some $$$.

Hammock
    DIY RS custom
    Tarp
    DIY winter custom
    Insulation
    DIY UQ+TQ &/or bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie+Straps
    niiiiiiiiiiice. I bet you could go sub-zero with this. The extra layers of fabric are also going to help slow the movement of air quite a bit, so in hammock-math 20 + 40 = less than zero

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Superfly & Edge
    Insulation
    Yeti, Mamba & HG
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    That does look toasty!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl xlc
    Tarp
    HG cuben
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch bkls
    What was your reasoning for deciding which quilt to position inside/outside?

Just as and FYI, I did a sub 10* outing once with a 20* and a 40* TQ stacked and it was more than I needed.

I think you're about right estimating a sub 0* rating for your stack, a 40* has about 2" of loft and a 20* about 3", together if you were near 4-5" of loft that would be comparable to a 0* rated quilt.

David

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by e_2 View Post
    niiiiiiiiiiice. I bet you could go sub-zero with this. The extra layers of fabric are also going to help slow the movement of air quite a bit, so in hammock-math 20 + 40 = less than zero
    Close, but a better bet for the math is 70 - ([70 - 40] + [70 - 20]) = 70 - (30 + 50) = 70 - 80 = -10 * F.

Now, there's going to be a good bit of fiddle factor; the lower you get below freezing, the more drafts matter. Any draft at 0* F is going to make you cold.

That being said, I'm glad that you managed to get good results out of it, markr6. I've been fiddling with a modular quilt system myself, and I've yet to get it to work to my satisfaction. I think I'm going to have to rethink a few things for my next prototype...
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bannerstone View Post
    What was your reasoning for deciding which quilt to position inside/outside?

Just as and FYI, I did a sub 10* outing once with a 20* and a 40* TQ stacked and it was more than I needed.

I think you're about right estimating a sub 0* rating for your stack, a 40* has about 2" of loft and a 20* about 3", together if you were near 4-5" of loft that would be comparable to a 0* rated quilt.

David
    I put the 40° outside since it is much, MUCH looser. It has the older suspension, so when the suspension is loosened, it's practically on the ground. Compared to the 20°, even when loose it's pretty much holding the hammock up.

(As a side note, the new suspension on the 20° is MUCH more comfortable and I never need to fiddle with it. The older system usually takes a few adjustments every time I set it up.)

So the 20° is fitted like usual, and the 40° can be adjusted so it's just barely cradling it. When I get it, everything seems to be just right.

I should have tried this overnight. It got down to 13°F!

Almost forgot - if I ever use both of these quilts in the field, I'll also use my UQ protector to wrap it all up in one nice package! That will really seal out any gaps between the quilts.

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Very nice. If the temps are low enough on my next camp out, I have a 20° Incubator and 20° Phoenix that I'm going to stack. Will need to figure out the top insulation. I have a 20° Burrow. A couple of old sleeping bags, one should be enough, with the Burrow.......RR
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Neat

I've always wondered about this and worried about the lower UQ smashing the loft out of the upper one.

So - you answered my question - you might get away with it if you can adjust the suspension so that doesn't happen.

Thanks for posting this - one less question in my mind.

Hammock
    DIY 10.5' HyperD 1.6
    Tarp
    Warbonnet, SLD
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WB Straps+Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tylojuky View Post
    I've always wondered about this and worried about the lower UQ smashing the loft out of the upper one.

So - you answered my question - you might get away with it if you can adjust the suspension so that doesn't happen.

Thanks for posting this - one less question in my mind.
    That's a good thought that always kept me from even trying this. In my mind, it just seemed like a big mess of down that would be impossible to keep in place. However after trying it, they didn't seem to move an inch. And you'll definitely need to make sure the outer quilt can be loosened a lot. I got lucky with my 40° being able to hang the way it does and just barely cradle the 20° above it.

I think I'll pack this tonight just to see if it's worth actually taking on a backpacking trip. Two Incubators and a sleeping bag is a lot of bulk! And I refuse to use compression sacks...but I guess I could try it just this once.

Quote Originally Posted by markr6 View Post
    Two Incubators and a sleeping bag is a lot of bulk
    I guess the alternative is to spend $300 and save the space & about 13 oz by buying a 0* Incubator - I assume you're made of money, right?

I'm at the beginning of these decisions trying to decide what UQs to buy.
    See: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83704

Over on that thread, the consensus is shaping up to be a 20* full-length + a 40* 3/4 length to cover 90% of the year. Then stack them when it's colder. I'm also "weighing" the options of weight/bulk of stacking vs. the $$$ for another UQ. In this case (using the 3/4 UQ in summer) that $300 would only save me 8 oz.

This is a tough decision for me. Very soon, I'll be buying my "warm" UQ. For cool/cold I definitely want full-length but I need to decide between the 0* and the 20* (a 4-5 oz difference). Will I regret the extra weight or be too hot if I get the 0* and it's above 20? Or, will I regret spending $$ on a 20* because I'm still cold when it's 10 (or have to carry the extra weight to double up)?

I guess the real questions for me are:
    - Will a 0* & a 40* leave a window in there where it's too hot for one but too cold for the other? (i.e., will the 0* be too hot at 35*?)
    - If not, will I regret having to carry the extra 4-5 oz of a 0* when it's between 40* & 20*?

We already established you're made of money above so why don't you just send some my way and the decision will be a lot easier.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast