Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order

UQ for a 3 week motorcycle trip in Alaska

From everything I've read, even in summer, the weather in Alaska is unpredictable. I'm looking at the nests from jrb, because I like the bottom entry on the Hennessy. Would I be better off with the winter (0') or the standard (20')?

Hammock
    WBBB XLC / HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HG zero incubator
    My philosophy is better to be over prepared than unprepared. I would go with the lowest rating you could get just incase. I would also recommend synthetic given the amount of ran that area can get. Last thing you want is to need to get warm only to find your down useless. Just my 2c

Have a fun trip!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    I love down. Would an underquilt protector be helpful? I used synthetic sleeping bags and jackets for years. I bought a down bag once, and it was all over.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

I have been doing motorcycle camping for years all over BC and the Yukon. I have found the best system by far is a peapod, I leave the hammock, the peapod and the BUG NET as one unit. Unroll the hammock system on your tarp and then hang it, them hang your tarp but never open your bug net until your ready to get in. I use a light sleeping bag inside a heavier bag and then mix and match the two bags to find the right setup for the weather. Bug net, bug net, bug net and bug net!!!

Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    What exactly is this pea pod of which you speak. I think that I know, but I don't think it would work for me. I'm not exactly claustrophobic, but I like my space. I use a 3 man tent when solo camping for just that reason. That's why I'm leaning towards the WBBB net only. I don't ever see myself swapping out the bug net.

Hammock
    Eno dn/BAIS
    Tarp
    real tree hunters
    Insulation
    peapod
    Suspension
    whoopie

My peapod is just my hammock Inside my sleeping bag. I use fat guy sleeping bags and there is lots of room. If you don't use a bug net make sure you have layers under you or you will never sleep. 12-13 years ago I did the Alaska highway with two friends, all on bikes. To this day none of us can remember anything but bugs and bugs and bugs!
    Carpe noctem!!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    The more i read, the more I'm leaning towards replacing my Hennessy with a WBBB XLC and an HG Incubator.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
    The more i read, the more I'm leaning towards replacing my Hennessy with a WBBB XLC and an HG Incubator.
    Great choice...considering replacing my WBBB for the XLC and upgrading my UQ selection by adding a 0 degree Incubator to my 20 degree version. The 20 degree works but I want a bit more range to be really snug in those times when it gets fun cold. The 20 degree begins to feel a smidge iffy for me around 30 degrees and under. Mind you it works well enough but I want pure luxury and the metal mule is lugging the weight anyway.

In your case a 20 degree Incubator with a ground pad to add insulation options or go to ground if needed? Maybe treating your hammock with permethrin for the various blood suckers would be a good idea too.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    I just hate being cold. I lived in Phoenix for 12 years, and I wear jackets when it gets down to about 70*.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    You do know that the mosquitoes are the size of hummingbirds. Be sure you protect yourself.

What I found is that when the humidity is high the down soaks up moisture, so even if you keep a quilt protector over the bottom of your hammock you will still pick up a lot of moisture.

I would plan on lots of rain and lots of bugs mostly flying bugs. I live part of the year east of Alaska in B.C. our summers are like Oregon's winters. Mostly rain, if the sun is out it is pleasant, but if you do not protect your skin and face the skeeters will drain you dry. I like my protein but getting a mouth full of mosquitoes is not how I like to get my meat. Flies are a problem also.

I am not sure about where you will be touring, but we only have a few weeks without snow. The ground does not thaw out until June or maybe early July, we always have snow by the end of August. I have been stuck in a blizzard in July going over Pine Pass, in B.C. So, plan for the worst and hope for the best. You should have a great adventure.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast