HH A-sym snake skins, hex tarp
    Tarp
    General's Custom
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear 3/4
    Suspension
    tree hugger
    Images

THIS IS NOT A RANT - just info for inquiring minds.

Media has a clear agenda - CNN and your local news have a clear problem if everything on News was family oriented, rosy cozy - life was wonderful - YOU WOULD NOT WATCH!

Answer - they have been building a case that all chemicals are harmful to people. A constant preach from the pulpit of obscure things that "may" kill you down the road... in spite of are you ready to die?

Here is the real truth. Tylenol has killed more people. So troubling that they included Your toothpaste is more dangerous if you swallow. Your underarm deodorant will make you sick if you eat it... they all carry Warnings...

The Government sets the standards at - No label. Caution, Warning, Danger, Toxic.

Old English wood cleaner is labeled Toxic.

Triclosan is labeled Caution. It is used by hospitals for topical use for killing MERSA so it works at killing stuff, might not be your stuff - but someone might benefit.

Here is another truth ... products that include Triclosan neutralize odor. a small amount can remove skunk off a dog, in an hour or two.

Folks I could put a label and a msds link but when folks tell you what to be afraid of, scope the addenda... Otherwise feel free to look it up... you will always be able to see both sides.

I bath in TRICLOSAN TWICE A WEEK - NO WORRIES. (its in Hunters Soap)
    There was an Old Man with a owl,
    Who continued to bother and howl;
    He sat on a rail, And imbibed bitter ale,
    Which refreshed that Old Man and his owl
    .WOO

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    They say I need to wash with soap even under my nails - how do I manage that?
    with a scrub brush.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    DIY tablecloth struc. ridgeline
    Tarp
    Noahs Tarp 12
    Insulation
    Blue WM pad
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch buckle
    Quote Originally Posted by VictoriaGuy View Post
    +1
    Pouring all those 'antibacterial' chemicals into the environment couldn't be connected to the evolution of 'superbugs', could it??
    most hand sanitizers simply use alcohol. Superbugs don't adapt to alcohol. the problem is in the antibacterial soaps, which use a different kind of chemical to kill bacteria. Bacteria do adapt to those.
    Time is but the stream I go afishing in. Henry David Thoreau

Hammock
    Hennesy
    Tarp
    various
    Insulation
    pads, foam
    Images
    The root issue with hand sanitizers is the non alcohol versions have a persistent chemical that is starting to cover the bottom of our water sources where it poisons the ecosystem. Overuse has also helped the super bugs develop. As far as camping use it is less effective and more weight than basic soap and water. A good scrub followed with an alcohol sanitizer as a finish would make sense if one really needs hospital clean.

FWIW there is a comment about "chemicals" that is worth addressing. Anyone who has a clue understands our whole world is made of various chemicals and their compounds. The problem is when Industry comes up with something "new" to add so they can have a advertising point to use to persuade people to buy their product over the other guys. That starts a race to see who can do the most special additive to solve a non problem for the advertised use but possibly create other problems in our lives. Hand sanitizer in general and the sanitizer additives in soap are good examples of overkill like that. There are books full of other examples.
    Last edited by nothermark; 01-24-2014 at 16:55.
    YMMV

HYOH

Free advice worth what you paid for it. ;-)

Hammock
    ENO Double
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    Hand sanitzers also help create "Supergerms" since they'll only kill 99.9% of germs. That .01% has the ability to multiply on your skin since the rest are dead. This allows things to germinate that are immune to the sanitizer. It's ALWAYS better to just wash germs off you then to kill them with a chemical. This goes for kitchen countertops and the like as well. You shouldn't use anything that states it kills 99.9% of germs. Those few that aren't killed will just take their place and eventually lysol and hand sanitizer and things of that nature won't be effective any more and there will be germs that have had the opportunity to evolve without competition that can't be killed very easily.

Sounds like a science fiction novel waiting to happen.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    I don't use hand sanitizer, never have. I also don't believe in anti bacterial soap. Plain soap and water worked for years, it's only the last 10-15 that the anti bacterial craze has hit. Now we have superbugs, food allergies (how any kids were allergic to peanuts 40 years ago?), and wipes for every little thing. I remember a friends grandfather telling us when we were quite young "a little dirt never hurt anyone". I believe that. Our "germ free" world will be our demise.
    Debi

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by overthinker View Post
    I'm always grossed out by the fact that using a hand sanitizer just leaves a rack of dead germs/bacteria/etc. on my hands. They're not really CLEAN, just...covered in dead stuff.
    If that grosses you out, let me introduce you to the idea of the human biome.
    The average human is made of 1 trillion cells and yet you are covered by, and infected with 10 trillion cells from various microbes. We know very little about these little guys at this point, but we do know many of them are essential for health and it appears diversity is the key, not wiping them out.

I've seen reports that showed a cycle of antibiotics will change the population demographic in your intestine for up to 4 years before it gets back to normal. There's also bee interesting studies that showed giving gut bacteria from lean rat to a fat rat helped the fat rat lose weight.

Doctor's are also now starting to use stool implants. Either actual fecal mater or a lab grown colony of bacteria from a 'donor' which is inserted into the patient (yea like that) to help re-colonize their gut.

Its not all in your gut though. What blows my mind is that the specific colonies growing on your skin vary wildly even from one finger to the next.

We've adapted to all of this. None of this is some new threat the news outlet needs to scare us with, if anything the message may be ... hey wait... maybe microbes aren't all bad.

I wouldn't be surprised if 10 years from now we have hand soaps or bathroom cleaners with active cultures in them like yogurt.

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    Quote Originally Posted by Gqgeek81 View Post
    The average human is made of 1 trillion cells and yet you are covered by, and infected with 10 trillion cells from various microbes.
    So true. I saw a quote somewhere to the effect that microbiologists don't consider the human body to be infested/infected with bacteria. It is more accurate to consider humans as simply an ecosystem for bacteria and microscopic critters too numerous to mention.

Also, the quote about "a little dirt won't hurt you" is exactly right. I'm convinced that the numerous allergies suffered from my city-girl wife are simply because she grew up squeaky clean and didn't have enough exposure to things to develop natural immunities. My kids started out with troubling allergies and respiratory problems, but seem to be outgrowing them now. Again, I suspect it is from natural exposure to normal amounts of allergens.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wesbri View Post

Also, the quote about "a little dirt won't hurt you" is exactly right. I'm convinced that the numerous allergies suffered from my city-girl wife are simply because she grew up squeaky clean and didn't have enough exposure to things to develop natural immunities. My kids started out with troubling allergies and respiratory problems, but seem to be outgrowing them now. Again, I suspect it is from natural exposure to normal amounts of allergens.
    Check out HSO's Homeostatic Soil Organism's.
    We still know very little so chances are what they are using for HSO's is partly or even mostly wrong and we just don't know it, but the idea is very interesting.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    HH Asym
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Nylon webbing
    I work in a hospital. I'm in the OR and the ER. Our policy is "foam in foam out". This policy was written by somebody who never sees patients. If I followed the policy my hands would be cracked and bleeding. I always wash my hands if the patients were extremely ill. I wear a lot of gloves to keep down on to much washing. I use sanitizer as a quick clean. I haven't been sick since if worked here. The main thing is clean hands near your mouth, food, and wounds.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast