Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order

Incubator questions

I have an old hennessy expedition asym, and am thinking about upgrading to a WBBB. I have some questions about underquilts.

I will be spending almost a month in Alaska next summer mc camping. Would it be worth it to go with a 0 degree incubator over the 20 degree? I have no intention of ever going winter camping. I absolutely hate being cold, and am a very cold sleeper (I use a comforter year round).
    Also, would overstuff be beneficial?

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Are you going to be car camping or backpacking? Which part of Alaska will you be visiting? I try to use the underquilt rated for the weather I will encounter, but always have a way to boost my insulation because weather has a way of surprising us. I have a 20* UQ, an underquilt protector to block the wind, and carry a small pad, which weighs almost nothing, to use in case I have cold spots or my feet get cold. My poncho can be hung over my ridgeline to capture warmth, and I can use a nalegene bottle filled with hot water (in a sock or fleece sack) to put on my femoral artery or feet to keep warm. I don't know what the summer time lows are in Alaska, but I would guess that a 0* would not be needed. Seems a shame to buy a 0* if you don't think you will ever use it again, but I guess you can always sell it here on the forums. Or you might find it is so nice sleeping cuddled up in all that downy goodness that you start regularly sleeping in colder, but not necessarily winter, weather.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    I'm going to be on a motorcycle. Riding from SLC, up to the arctic and see as much as I can.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    CBA,

I have a 0* Incubator from Hammock Gear. I used it last week-end. The ambient temperature where we were camping was 27F. The winds all night were comparable to a freight train rolling through both in velocity as well as noise. We estimated the windchill was sub-20F.

I did just fine in the Incubator but was glad that I had a 0* instead of a 20*. That's just me. If you sleep cold, I'd personally opt for the 0* because the incremental cost is really insignificant and if you ever did get caught in a situation where the temp dipped below normal, and/or the wind started sucking heat from under you, you'll appreciate the extra $20 bucks or so.

Also, pay heed to what GrannyPat said. She gave a good account of what else you might want to carry with you. If you don't want or think you'll need pads, at least invest in a 2qZq under quilt protector as this will bump your temp rating by a minimum of 10 degrees, but realistically 15 degrees. Also, I'd be willing to bet you'll have a poncho, and as GrannyPat said, you can use that over your ridge line to contain heat.

If per remote chance you find the 0* a little to warm, you can always reduce clothing, sleep on top of your sleeping bag or top quilt and other wise cool down that way.

The above based on my experience. We hope this helps.

Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    thanks for the advice. Average night time temps in Fairbanks are 40-50. Deadhorse is about 10 degrees less. Record lows are about 10-15 less than that. Rain is a distinct possibility. They average about 1"-2" of rain a month in summer and it rains, on average, 10-12 days out of the month.

Even though weight isn't much of a concern, space is definitely limited on a motorcycle, and down compresses nicely.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    HG on order
    Another comment in another thread got me thinking. Is Argon cloth available in other colors?

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Yep, Hammockgear currently has about 4 different colors to choose from, not sure if there are more than that.

Hammock
    Speer
    Tarp
    Speer Winter Tarp
    Insulation
    Incubator Burrow
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I now have a 0-Degree Incubator. Just GREAT! Only 2 nights so far with lots of WIND and temps down to 20F. I was toasty warm- YES! With all the wind, the draft collar works better than expected.

Also have 2QzQ's UQP. Never did get it properly adjusted (user error); but, feel that it will add warmth and, of course, keep rain spray / dew off.

I am so impressed with Stormcrow's stuff! Ordered and received the 0-Degree Burrow TQ - just HAD to have one. Have not had a chance to use it yet; but, quality is excellent. Used it as a comforter at home on the bed - DELICIOUS!
    Happy Trails,
    J.D.

I never drink water. I'm afraid it will become habit-forming.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I have a 0* (plus 1 ounce extra) Incubator that I plan to use pretty much year round, as I am a cold sleeper. So far, I have used it in temps as low as 26* F and as mild as 60* F.

I will overheat if I have too much going on for top layers or clothing (sleeping bag, top quilt, two pairs of socks, thick hat, etc) but so far I have never gotten too hot because of just the Incubator below me. In milder weather I just skip all the extra layers and simply use a sleeping bag and/or liner/woobie as a top quilt and am very comfortable.

In temps much below 40, I have to start piling on the layers to stay warm: two pairs of socks, thick hat, nice base layer clothing, zipped into sleeping bag and a sleeping bag liner. I am just cold by nature. I have been plenty glad to have that 0*F Incubator under me even though I will likely never see those actual temps.
    Last edited by RadicalHope; 11-18-2013 at 08:35. Reason: clarification
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by cba191 View Post
    Another comment in another thread got me thinking. Is Argon cloth available in other colors?
    A little birdie told me there are two more colors coming out.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast