Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide

Is hang calculator important with structural RL

Hey so after hammocking for a while now I looked at the hammock hang calculator. I keep hearing hangers talking about the perfect distance to hang. Is it really nescissary to "calculate" your height and space between trees? I have always just gotten away with Eyeballing and guestamating. Plus I have a structural ridge line and was under the impression that it doesn't really matter how you hang it. I do notice very slight differences but not a lot when I hang between trees very far away and low suspension points. My usual setup routine is to just setup what "feels" right. If I feel uncomfOrtable then I move stuff around. This may be newb question but I'm curious and haven't found anything searching

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    Eyeballing and guestimating is what I do. I use the SRL as my yardstick for set up and only really stress it when my trees are too far apart. Certainly new hangers will find the calculator useful. Also, if you want to make home or backyard set ups, its good to have the measurements.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    Raven, SLD Streamliner
    Tarp
    Hanger11WB,WntrHvn
    Insulation
    HG,UGQ,JrB
    Suspension
    UCR's
    Images
    If my SRL is snug, I'm usually comfortable. If not, I tighten the suspension lines a bit until it is. No smartphone app needed for that. Besides, I carry enough "stuff" without adding a tape measure to the list

That being said, I do think the calculator serves a purpose. I've used it to get a general idea for how high to set my tree straps, or to show people how much weight is on the trees and suspension lines.

You could always read the disclaimer at the bottom of the calculator to get your answer

Hammock
    Warbonnet 1.7 Blackbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Edge
    Insulation
    Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings DIY

Is hang calculator important with structural RL

I guessestimate now, but the app definitely helped me figure out my geometry in the beginning
    Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, & narrow-mindedness, & many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men & things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.
    Mark Twain

Hammocking in SoCal

Hammock
    DH thunderbird, TTTG switchback
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    pads, -25*UQ,0*TQ
    Suspension
    whoopies, straps
    I am a bit more scientific than guesstimating .
    if I am on level ground, my thunderbird gets hung at my chin level (on tree), foot of hammock at nose height. I then tighten until SRL is almost tight. for my switchback, it gets hung around mid-chest as it works better with a more horizontal suspension (I have found best at 15*)
    I have an angle finder on my phone and it has always been within a degree every single hang for either hammock.

what's a calculator?

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tylojuky View Post
    what's a calculator?
    http://theultimatehang.com/hammock-hang-calculator/

It's a good guide to hanging.

Hammock
    Most
    Tarp
    Sea to Summit
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Becket Hitch
    Images
    I can't claim credit for the calculations behind the calculator, but even as the calculator designer, I don't use it to hang my hammocks in the field. I have used it for indoor hangs to make things a little more precise, but the calculator is in no means a necessity.

Where I like the calculator is to help show people how the forces work and what is at play with a hammock.

That said, you shouldn't rely on a structural ridge line to solve your hanging for you. It is very easy to get a very tight hang with a small (less than 30-degree) hang angle and put your suspension into shock. That is a great way to not only push your gear into failure, but also exert more pressure on your anchor points, which could lead to damaging resources.

With my first hammock, a Hennessy, I routinely hung it as tight and horizontal as possible, going with the video demonstrations I had seen. I now hang the same hammock with a 30-degree angle and still have a taut ridge line and a great lay.

Hammock
    DL1.1XLC/ BIAS WWM/ DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/ DIY
    Insulation
    N/A
    Suspension
    depends...
    If your ridge line is made from dynaglide, you should be fine at pretty much any angle, if it's zingit you should be a little more concerned. Eyeballing it with the thumb and forefinger will give you a good hang almost every time except during long distance hangs. In that case a hope and a prayer that nothing snaps has always worked for me.
    "We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it."- G. W. Sears

My forum name is Fish<><; I'm in the navy; and I hate sleeping on the ground. If I didn't need ground to walk on or measure resistance to, I think I could happily give it up.

Hammock
    Dutchware Chameleon
    Tarp
    Dutch 12' Dyneema
    Insulation
    Renagade/Incubator
    Suspension
    Straps/Dutch Bling
    I recently made my SRL out of Lash-It, but intend on using the proper angles - should I be concerned? In the past I was using the same Amsteel as my suspension, but that seemed like overkill. Would I be better off going to Dynaglide instead?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast