Hennessy (with a few mods)
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajam'
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks FL
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Dixon Roller Pack

Just wondering if anyone has experience of the Dixon Roller pack and what they thought of it? Just watched a Youtube video of it and it certainly looks tempting!

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/d...ller-pack.html

Beyond seeing their videos I know nothing either, but they sure look good to me. That said, I recently hiked a few days on the AT and I believe I would have had a harder time with one than without. It seems trail maint. crews like to use lots of rocks and steps etc. and pulling the pack up and over could have been problematic. I sure would like to get my hands on one to try it out.

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi
    It seems to me that some time ago I saw a UTube video of somebody who tried out one of these things. The primary obnoxious thing that they reported was that it seems to always track to one side.

In other words, you assume that the thing is going to nicely track right behind you. But the fact is that the tires are flat and it apparently tends to constantly be veering either to left or to right, depending, I suppose, on whether you are slightly leaning left or leaning right.

IF it were possible to ensure that you always had the attachments to your body completely level, then I suppose this would never be an issue.

Hammock
    Multicam Ridge Runner
    Tarp
    Multicam Bushcraft
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Buckles and straps
    Interesting. As someone always looking to blend activities, backpacking, hunting and with a family, I wonder how this would work. Heaven knows I'm putting enough gear on my back, the girls and Mrs don't carry much weight!
    Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, the strength to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference.

Hammock
    Too many to list
    Tarp
    Cuben with doors
    Insulation
    FlThrwr UQ+DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies + straps
    Images
    Slowhike, TeeDee, TiredFeet, PGibson, and Rilmoigan have Dixon Roller packs among others, I'm sure. Mule had one and sold it to Turtlelady, I think. Maybe ask them directly via PM?
    "Pips"
    Mountains have a dreamy way
    Of folding up a noisy day
    In quiet covers, cool and gray.

---Leigh Buckner Hanes

Surely, God could have made a better way to sleep.

Surely, God never did.

Hammock
    Hennessy (with a few mods)
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Mamajam'
    Insulation
    UK Hammocks FL
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks, thinking it could be an expensive way to cause problems in other areas. Agreed old4hats, seems like it could be a nightmare on anything that isn't a well maintained flat path...

Thanks, Pipsissewa. I'm not committed to the idea enough to pm others, just wanted to get a quick idea of other peoples impressions After sleeping on it, seems too much of a costly risk.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner, Dangerbird
    Tarp
    Big Daddy
    Insulation
    HG 3 Season/IX UQ
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by El-Beardo View Post
    Just wondering if anyone has experience of the Dixon Roller pack and what they thought of it? Just watched a Youtube video of it and it certainly looks tempting!

http://www.arrowhead-equipment.com/d...ller-pack.html
    I ran into a couple using Dixon Rollers recently in Spain while hiking the Camino de Santiago. They were preaching the word (about the rollers) but after I saw them searching to find an alternate route around some steps that I simply walked up, I wasn't buying it. They just seemed way bigger and cumbersome than I would ever want to deal with. I can think of many situations where they would be a major/minor hassle. Just think of a stream crossing for example.

I think the Dixon Roller is one of those things that has a big initial wow factor but upon closer scrutiny.....not so much. Having said that, there may be people out there with a physical limitation that may preclude them from carrying a normal backpack. In that case a Dixon Roller type system might just be the ticket.

Miguel

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.1 dbl/ Traveler 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    Toxaway & Bullfrog
    Insulation
    Incubator & Burrow
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Miguel View Post
    I can think of many situations where they would be a major/minor hassle. Just think of a stream crossing for example.

Having said that, there may be people out there with a physical limitation that may preclude them from carrying a normal backpack. In that case a Dixon Roller type system might just be the ticket.
    The Dixon can be converted to carry on your back...looks like something one would not want to do for long but a stream crossing would work. I am one of those who considered one to ease the strain on my metal knees. Other lower body parts keep malfunctioning and so no trails for this hopeful former hiker (yet).

Here is a vid of Paul (AHE) and his Dixon on a relatively rough trail.

Last edited by Law Dawg (ret); 11-18-2013 at 11:45.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Few things that I will interject to clear up a few things.

First yes the pack can ride with a slight tip to one side or anther. This is easily remedied buy moving your gear in the pack bag around to balance the load from one side to the other. I do this every trip...and even every time you load up. While the pack had it's unique features it also has some unique considerations when you load the gear. Just like you balance the load in a regular pack you need to do the same...just more focused on left to right balance rather than forward to back.

Stairs: ??? Not a problem at all. I would have just trucked right up them. Rough trails, rocks, boulders, logs don't slow you down any more with the DRP than it would with a regular pack.

For extremely steep and or stream crossings you can convert the pack to be carried like a frame pack. The conversion takes just a moment to switch to carry and another moment to covert back to rolling.

I use the roller pack on about half of my trips....any trip that I am taking the family on usually guarantees the roller pack is coming so I can take most of the gear. The trail it self is almost never a consideration as much as the gear I plan to take.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Warbonnet XLC BlackBird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    White Cloud, Zeppe
    Suspension
    Whoopies marlinspi

Dixon Roller Pack

Paul: Thanks for the excellent clarifications on the Dixon Roller Pack.

As a guy who can't backpack because of chronic lower back problems, am thinking that it MAY be a panacea that allows me to do (for the first time in my life) at least some modest backpacking. Would this allow me to do Philmont with my scouts? Fun to at least consider. It certainly is a nice design.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast