Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Are we well enough equiped

So myself a couple buddies are taking off for a 3 day hikie/hunt trip. We have a cabin for one night but hope to due two nights hanging. We will be in northern michigan and I'm expecting temps around freezing maybe a bit below freezing. I've got 3 hmmocks for us a hennessy expedition, eno double and lawson blue ridge. I have 2 wb superfly tarps and a hennessy hex tarp. Bottom insulation I have Hennessy super shelter, for the eno I have a PLUQ with an extra layer of synthetic bating in the middle. I have thermarest self inflating pads for all three and for thelawson I was thinking of using this as my primary insulation layer
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/276...ter-olive-drab. I've used it in tents and it was great. I also picked up a role of reflectix.
    Thoughts? Any reason to think we are going to freeze?
    Thanks

The Beautiful Black Hills of South Dakota
    Hammock
    WARBONNET 1.1 DOUBLE, DIY BRIDGE
    Tarp
    DIY ARGON CAMO/BMJ
    Insulation
    DIY DOWN TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    STRAPS/BUCKLES
    has everyone in the group got to try out the gear in cold temps?.....if not, then i hope i am completely wrong, but yea, you guys might freeze

maybe not because of lack of insulation but lack of experience using it, always good to try out gear in a controlled environment instead of learning in the middle of the woods with freezing temps. imo

boot
    The surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe is that it has never tried to contact us. ~Bill Watterson

Hammock
    WL Snipe, HH explorer, GT UL
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Definitely do trial runs in the back yard, can't hurt.

Hammock
    DIY - Canoe Hammock
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    DIY UCRs
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jtdad13 View Post
    Definitely do trial runs in the back yard, can't hurt.
    +1 to this. I have gotten cold on a few trips and I try to test all my gear prior to trips since then. Backyard hangs are always recommended. Me and Dayglow test our gear just about every other weekend on my property.

Hammock
    WL Snipe, HH explorer, GT UL
    Tarp
    HH HEX
    Insulation
    JRB Greylock 4
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Re: Are we well enough equiped

Quote Originally Posted by XTrekker View Post
    +1 to this. I have gotten cold on a few trips and I try to test all my gear prior to trips since then. Backyard hangs are always recommended. Me and Dayglow test our gear just about every other weekend on my property.
    Right on! Doesn't have to be overnight either, couple hours or even set it up for a quick nap. I've even set my trailor (I'm a truck driver) at 15° with my gear set up in the back during lunch breaks...strange, I know!

I have tested a few combinations of theequipment I have. This will be the other two guys first hang. So I'm trying to make sure I over do it for them. My hennessey with super shelter under a superfly with spaceblanket or reflectix I'm good with. The eno and lawson are a bit of a wild card. We are heading up to a cabin as basecamp then hiking in a bit deeper to get away from some of the other hunters in the area. I also have some CCF pads we will probably bring along. So CCF reflectix and thermarest scout pad I would imagine should provide plety of bottom insulation for the other two. The lawson is easy to layer because its such a flat lay

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Zpacks
    Insulation
    Just enough!
    A test hang for your friends could be a huge help. Easier to fiddle/get them comfortable when they can warm up quickly at home vs. out in the woods.

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I think you will be OK. Wear hats, eat well, stay hydrated and warm up before crawling in the hammock.
    Carry forth…it is an adventure.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    an adventure.
    A trip is when you go someplace and nothing happens, boring.

An adventure is when you go some place and nothing goes as plans but you survive to come home and tell others about it, exciting.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

An adventure is what's on the docket. We should be close enough to others and the cabin that realisticly if all goes to hell we have an awful night and no sleep but minimal risk of seriouse injury or death, so an adventure with a safety net.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast