Hammock
    "Binford 3600" DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon 10x10
    Insulation
    CCF & Mylar pad

Question Guylines for a tarp

My Silnylon order just arrived and I'm planning to make a 10'x10' tarp, basically following the instructions in Ed Speer's book.

I'm not clear on the intent behind the ridgeline pulltabs. Is the tarp supposed to be suspended from those tabs? Or should the guyline run from one tree to the other with the tarp placed over it?

Tying to the ridgeline tabs would certainly make hanging the tarp easier, and necessarily center it perfectly. But wouldn't the stresses of that be too much for the fabric and/or the tab attachment points?

What's the best way to suspend the tarp?
    -- Tim Taylor

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Many, in not most, of us use separate lines from the ridge pull tab to the trees. No worries about the strength of the sil; I've had mine pulled pretty tight a few times (too tight) and still haven't had any problems with that. I just use some lightweight utility cord for the ridge tie-outs and a fig 9 at each end.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    DIY 12X10, mamajmb
    Insulation
    KAQ, & JRB W Nest
    Suspension
    Woopie Sling
    Images
    On The Speer 10x10 the flat felled seam runs down the ridge line and the seam actually strenthen the ridgeline. So.. yes mnake sure you install the ridgeline tabs. Here is a link to a tarp I recenly made, just that it is a 12x10 instead. The seam runs down the ridgeline just like the Speer 10x10.

Hammock
    "Binford 3600" DIY
    Tarp
    DIY Silnylon 10x10
    Insulation
    CCF & Mylar pad
    I thought Speer runs the seam transversely. That's what I was going to do at any rate. Perhaps that's in case the seam leaks, then it wouldn't leak along the very top the whole length? But running it along the ridgeline makes perfect sense to me, for the extra strength it would provide.

Sharp-looking tarp. Thanks for the link....

Bob, what did you use for the tie-out gussets? More 1.1 Silnylon, or something else?
    Last edited by Binford; 04-23-2009 at 14:08.
    -- Tim Taylor

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by Binford View Post
    I thought Speer runs the seam transversely. That's what I was going to do at any rate. Perhaps that's in case the seam leaks, then it wouldn't leak along the very top the whole length? But running it along the ridgeline makes perfect sense to me, for the extra strength it would provide.

Sharp-looking tarp. Thanks for the link....

Bob, what did you use for the tie-out gussets? More 1.1 Silnylon, or something else?
    If you think about it, the ridgeline is exposed to the least amount of water, because that is the point at which accumulation begins and as you go down the tarp it increases significantly. Therefore, the ridgeline, from a sheer quantity perspective would have the least exposure to moisture. If I were going to have a leak in a tarp and could choose where it was, I would choose the ridge, just because it is exposed to the least amount of water.

With a little sealing, I have had no problems with my various rainflys all of which have seams on the ridgelines.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

• + New Posts