DIY Hex
    Insulation
    Short UQ/pad combo
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Thanks for the reply!
    Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    I have changed my mind about the possibility of using Karo Steps for an under quilt... I think a Karo step design would work very well for an under quilt. And be a lot easier to design, make and fill.
    That's really good to hear. I have more trouble with the long stitches than the short ones, so I think a bunch of little ones would be easier for me than a few long ones.

Quote Originally Posted by TeeDee View Post
    ...with an intelligent placement of the steps...
    What exactly do you mean by this? You said earlier that the steps held the shape of the quilt more than it restricted down movement. If overstuffed, wouldn't a simple pattern still suffice? Or are you suggesting that additional steps would be needed to restrict down movement?

I was considering a differential Karo step quilt. I don't see why it wouldn't work if it was designed correctly.

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY 10'x11'
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by LostCause View Post
    What exactly do you mean by this? You said earlier that the steps held the shape of the quilt more than it restricted down movement. If overstuffed, wouldn't a simple pattern still suffice? Or are you suggesting that additional steps would be needed to restrict down movement?

I was considering a differential Karo step quilt. I don't see why it wouldn't work if it was designed correctly.
    Don't really know exactly what I mean. It was pretty vague in my head when I wrote that. I had the idea that the placement of the steps would have to work with the overfill as much as possible to prevent the possibility of down shifting towards the bottom of the under quilt.

From what I have seen with our 20% over fill top and bottom quilts, there isn't much or any shifting towards the bottom.

Still to be conservative, I think that the step placement should try to anticipate as much as possible any possible tendency to shift and place the steps to minimize the anticipated shifting.

Now exactly what the step placement should be to prevent the shifting should be??? I don't really know since I haven't really sat down and given it much thought beyond my response above and this response.

My guess would be to try to think about what would be causing a shift tendency - gravity being the most prevalent. Then place steps to counter that.

Again my guess from I have observed and what I took into account when I designed our under quilts, I ruled out side-to-side baffles since they do nothing to counter gravity induced shifting. I have seen such shifting. That is why I used end-to-end baffles in our under quilts. Gravity isn't working end-to-end.

So, my guess would be to place longer steps in rows end-to-end and shorter, fewer steps side-to-side.

That way the steps would act as much as possible as end-to-end baffles to counter gravity induced shifting. The shorter, fewer side-to-side steps would then help with the overfill to keep any end-to-end shifting from happening.

Also, both kinds of steps would then maintain the shape of the under quilt shells.

Also, with the longer steps placed end-to-end, you don't have to be concerned with designing the steps for the differential cut of the shells. Only the short side-to-side steps would be affected and by making them short, say 3" max and maybe 1" or 2", the affect of the differential cut would not affect the steps. Personally I would try for 3" and space the end-to-end step rows 6" apart. That lets you shift the down on purpose when you want to and still get it back in place very easily.

Also, I would highly recommend the box quilt side wall treatment. That really works to maintain the full down loft right to the edges. And it is really easier to sew than just sewing the edges together. If you end up with a rectangular or near rectangular shape, then PM me and I can give you hints/directions on how to make the box design side walls even easier. Don't get discouraged if I don't respond to a PM quickly, things around here are getting rather unsettled due to medical problems.
    Those who sacrifice freedom for safety, have neither.

Do not dig your grave with your teeth. (Unknown)

Hammock
    Switchback
    Tarp
    Switchback Diamond
    Insulation
    Polar Pod
    Suspension
    Ring Buckle
    Images

Thumbs up

Very, very nice quilt!!!

Hammock
    Diy 12'
    Tarp
    Diy Silpoly
    Insulation
    Diy Down
    Suspension
    Diy Whoopie
    Very nice quilt and thanks for the tutorial. I started a Karo step TQ this week and have referred to this thread several times.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123