Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    If you looked at the photos in the ebay listing I linked, it is fairly obvious that there are two angled pieces per pole near the ends and not one in the center.

Take them apart by cutting the bungee near one end and re-arrange/modify them to meet your desires for overall length and folded compactness.

image.jpgimage.jpg
    Thanks everyone for your knowledge. I purchased the poles and they work wonderfully.

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Beetle Buckles
    This is why I like this site. I never would have thought of this. I have a Cloudburst and have been pondering how to do the pullout thing without having to spend time looking for sticks to tie the pullouts to.

For those that have done this do you see any differences between laying the poles over a continuous ridgeline or laying them over the top of the tarp because of using end-only tarp suspension?

Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I didn't want the strong forces on the pullouts that bowed straight poles apply so I tried the 145* fitting from Quest and it worked out very nicely...

Attachment 58426 Attachment 58428

The pole ends are girth hitched with small Zing It soft shackles. Continuous loops could be used as well...

Attachment 58427

Each pole has the typical internal shock cord and is made of:

2 - 18" .344" Nano poles with inserts

2 - 18" .344" Nano poles without inserts

1 - 145* Arch fitting

2 - #4038 end fitting
    This mod looks great! I have my first tarp on order (which is not a Cloudburst). I have inquired as to whether my pullouts can be sewn to match the location of the Cloudburst's pullouts...since I will be using this with a Ridgerunner hammock. If the answer is yes, I will definitely be doing this Pole Mod!

I do have a couple of questions though: I use a non-continuous ridgeline. Will this setup work as successfully without a continuous ridgeline...and do I have to worry about a "rub" on the tarp fabric ridge even with the 145 angle pole joint? Also, I'm not a physics person - but does a 145 joint eliminate some "lifting" power on the pullouts to the extent that it doesn't do as good a job at "pulling out"? It seems to my (tiny) mind that the joint will negate some of the success (force) of the outward pull. I like the idea of less stress on the ridgeline and pullouts but doesn't that also decrease a little of its effectiveness?

Hammock
    Ridgerunner,Homemade,Hennessey BP
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, MacCat
    Insulation
    Under/top quilts
    Suspension
    Poly straps
    Images
    For those who ordered the .340 inch pole kit from EBay. Where did you order your pole tips from and what size did you order? Four tips from Quest, with tax and shipping, comes to $15.00. I have seen tips on Amazon which are listed as 7.9mm and 8.5mm for $7.49 with free shipping, but don't know if they would work with the .340 inch poles.
    Joe's rules of contentment: 1. Mind your own business, 2. Don't mind others' business, 3. Remember rules 1 and 2.

Hammock
    Chameleon
    Tarp
    DIY (Olive Oyl)
    Insulation
    [allergic to down]
    Images

Hammock
    Ridgerunner,Homemade,Hennessey BP
    Tarp
    Cloudburst, MacCat
    Insulation
    Under/top quilts
    Suspension
    Poly straps
    Images
    First, thanks to everyone who submits great ideas to this forum. I bought the pole kit from Ebay and ordered the tips from Amazon (10 for 7.49). My new question is: how long do most people make their poles for the Cloudburst pull outs? I made 72 inch poles which have the pull outs coming out at a slight outward angle, but I have seen photos in the gallery of pull outs anywhere from almost straight up to almost horizontal. Any thoughts on what the optimum length of the poles should be for the Cloudburst? Advantages/disadvantages of the pull angle?
    Joe's rules of contentment: 1. Mind your own business, 2. Don't mind others' business, 3. Remember rules 1 and 2.

Hammock
    WB RR
    Tarp
    C-burst, T-fly
    Insulation
    Pad,EE,WB,HG,LL
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I posted this is another thread, but I'll put it here too. I added pull-outs poles to my Cloudburst and it makes such a big difference. Here are a few pics using the Easton Aluminum Tent Pole set from eBay and the #4038 end tips from Quest Outfitters. I reconfigured the tent poles with two 18" sections, then the angled piece that comes in the set, and two more 18" sections. The shock cord that comes with the poles was too big to tie around the end tips, so I used some 3/32" shock cord I had from another project. For about $30, this adds so much space underneath and makes the tarp so much better. I highly recommend this type of setup.

Side view:
    20170917_075752.jpg

Top view:
    20170917_075810.jpg

End view:
    20170917_075740.jpg

Porch mode:
    20170916_084911.jpg

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456