DIY HEX70 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY Sylpoly Cat
    Insulation
    CCF pad w/ TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/MSH

Tyvek tarp DIY

At my local Lowes I found a roll of Tyvek (3'x100') for around $35. I'm wanting to make a 4-seaon tarp that is roughly 10'x12' but to do so with this roll I'll need 4 taped seams. By taping the seams with Tyvek tape; would that make it as if it were a solid 10x12 sheet (strength and waterproofness)? Also, would the Tyvek tape be strong enough to use as tie-out loops? What are your thoughts Forum?

I only camp a couple times a year so going with high end equipment just isn't feasible. If this idea works out I'll be able to make multiple tarps for the rough cost of $50 (including Tyvek tape).

Thanks in advance.

Hammock
    DIY R2B3 (Black Bear Burrito) + HUG
    Tarp
    Noah12, Mambajamba
    Insulation
    DIY TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie + straps
    Images
    As you are doing the tarp lengthwise, the tape should be adequate, use on both sides. It will be heavy, but you should have a strong product. Link below is for a tyvek tarp I did using tyvek tape and triangle rings (ABS) that I taped on, it has outlasted a lot of tough winds, 20-25mph max. not so bad!

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=37680
    .... the Aardvark (earth pig)... a rather unremarkable creature whose sole claim to fame is that it is the first animal listed in the dictionary.
    Rob

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Lots of folks start with tyvek...most had a bad experience.
    You get what you pay for.
    The seams can and eventually will let go, and from 3' matrl., you have more potential.
    Tie outs tend to peel away over time.
    Hard to sew. Prone to failure.
    Tape and material add up.
    Noisy in the wind.
    Not always waterproof.
    Heavy. Large pack size.

Can it work, yes. Is it a good first time diy, sure. You'll learn things to use on future projects..or not to use.
    But not a good long term piece of kit, IMO.
    Plenty of tyvek tarp threads on this forum.
    Ambulo tua ambulo.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I would call local contractors that build homes or apartment buildings and see if you could buy what you need from a 10' wide roll or just stop by a job site where you see them using it and offer the boss $10 to cut a piece for you.

Hammock
    DIY HEX70 Ripstop Nylon
    Tarp
    DIY Sylpoly Cat
    Insulation
    CCF pad w/ TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies/MSH
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    I would call local contractors that build homes or apartment buildings and see if you could buy what you need from a 10' wide roll or just stop by a job site where you see them using it and offer the boss $10 to cut a piece for you.
    I work with a couple guys that worked in the Home Building scene for years. I asked them to be on the look out for scrap Tyvek from their buddies that are still in the business.

Hammock
    Doublenest/RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    WB Edge/Superfly
    Insulation
    Tewa UQ, Bag as TQ
    Suspension
    Web+Whoopie Sling
    I just finished a tyvek tarp, and much of what gargoyle says is true. I left it set up under tension for 3 1/2 days of wind and rain, and it actually broke in quite nicely. It's quite quiet now. I did have to rework an adhesive-based grommet tag attachment, but it was surprisingly tough.

I used ultra flat black and green spray paint to make a psuedo-camo on one side, which actually came out looking really good as the paint crinkled up and cracked when the bag was stuffed into its storage bag a couple of times.

It is hopelessly bulky, however. I turned an old sleeping bag stuff sack into a bishop bag, but it just won't compress. I'll use it for car camping since it covers half an acre, but just not practical for backpacking. (I ended up buying an Edge from WarBonett with door kit for bp'ing.)

Hammock
    WBBB, DIY Double Layer
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    EE 20 / Phoenix20
    Suspension
    DIY whoopies
    Images
    Instead of tyvek use a cheap blue poly tarp - You can make a nice cat cut tarp for about $15. I've created 2 of these -- 1 for my son and 1 for another kid in his scout troop. They're a bit heavier than silnylon but easier to make and cheaper. Since I cut the tarp from a single piece there was no ridge line to sew and only the edges were cat cut.

https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=29919

Hammock
    Dangerbird
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix/Klymit
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokyMtnHiker View Post
    Also, would the Tyvek tape be strong enough to use as tie-out loops? What are your thoughts Forum?
    I've tried tyvek tape, red (tuck tape) sheathing tape, and vahb tape. Of all 3, the tuck tape works the best. However, once you tape it, leave it for 48 hours or it will eventually peel under tie-out tension. Also, don't use grommets or anything that puts a hole in the tyvek. it won't work under any serious tension.

Having said that, the absolute best way to do tie-outs on tyvek is by using a sheet bend between your tie out cord and the tyvek itself. It's so strong you can hang from it. And it's the best looking way to do it as well.

A lotta ins... lotta outs... lotta what-have-you's

• + New Posts