WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

Need advice on shortening a WBBB Ridge Line

Seems that the majority of the time I end up hanging from trees that are too far apart to achieve the 30 deg angle on my suspension. This is complicated by my long legs and the fact that I like to hang high enough to have my feet just off the ground when I sit up & swing my legs out in the morning. The resulting hang gives me a tight SRL and the accompanying calf pressure in the BB.
    I have read most all of the threads regarding alleviating the calf pressure problem but I am still unsure of my interpretation of the fix. It is my understanding that shortening the SRL will increase sag and reduce the fabric tension causing the pressure. Is this correct? For me, the pressure is minimal and definitely not a problem. I still sleep better in my BB with the calf pressure than I do in my Sleep Number bed. However, I am considering switching to an Adjustable Ridge Line. I know that I cannot increase the length beyond the 100" without risking damage to the netting and I plan to create a stop in the ARL to keep it from lengthening past that point. But I wonder if shortening it some during those times when I can't get the angle right may help with the pressure. Anyone out there who has experience with this and can confirm or refute the validity of my plan?
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    The ridgeline pokes out the end and hook on the suspension. I would pull that out and wrap it one time around the end of the hammock to shorten it. That way it is reversible.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    Goose bumps
    Suspension
    Bat Feet
    I could never get rid of nor deal with the calf ridge in my WBBB. I tried an 11 foot hammock (with separate net) that was shipped to me without a ridge line and I was instantly comfortable. I added an adjustable ridge line and adjust that according to the distance between trees, but generally keep it very loose.
    I'm 5' 9" tall and can easily sleep on my sides, or either diagonal direction.

Don't know that you can use the BB without the ridge line, but this is what worked for me.
    Love is blind. Marriage is an eye opener.

Images
    When I had a wbbb I just tied a simple overhand knot making a small loop about where I'd clip my reading light. I'd say it shortened the RL by 2-3" and help my CP issue.
    This does make the netting hang weird, not as clean looking.

You could also just use trees closer than you would like keeping the RL so loose you can make a 90 degree bend in it with your hand while laying in the hammock. That always worked better for me than trees too far away.

Here you can see the knot loop right where the radio antenna starts wrapping around the RL.

hth

Images
    A single overhand knot in the RL will shorten it by around 1/2"

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    A single overhand knot in the RL will shorten it by around 1/2"

Agreed, I just tied a simple overhand knot making a small loop that was where I got the 2-3" from.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsHz-hKVSnE
    Last edited by OutandBack; 11-22-2013 at 20:37.

Same problem here - easy fix

I have three WBBB hammocks - all are 1.1 DL but all are NOT equal.
    The first one I got is perfect - hang it so the RL has no sag but is not "tight".
    The 2nd one I got I have to put some sag in the RL before the calf pressure is gone.
    The 3rd one I got required me to hang it so the RL is so loose it's in my face before the calf pressure was relieved. I just replace that one with a RL made from Lash-It that was short enough.
    Not sure why they are all three so different or why the RLs appear to be getting longer over time (maybe that's just coincidental). I didn't actually measure any of the RLs so I can't say they're different length. Maybe they're just made different. Doesn't matter - easy fix to get the comfort back.

Anyway - you're on the right track (shorten the RL). I had an adjustable RL for a while but once I got what I wanted, I never adjusted it anymore so my advice would be to just get the hang you like (ignoring the RL that's there now) and then put a RL in there that length so the bugnet is off your face and you can easily repeat that hang judging by the RL.

• + New Posts