SBPro GTUL
    Tarp
    Mambajamba
    Insulation
    Leighlo 30*
    Suspension
    Linelocker/Rings

Found Parachute!

I found a parachute today, good to be a Garbageman. There is a full size parachute and what looks like a Hanglider chute in the pack. Coming to you guys and gals for ideas for hammocks or tarps ideas with these. I have some ideas but looking forward to the obvious and out of the box.

Opus

Hammock
    DIY Knotty/Speer special, RED
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    50 extree pounds
    Suspension
    Whoopy slings
    make one of those large tarps like they had at shugs 20 below hang. or is it a square unit

You should convert it to a hammock and use the baffles to stuff with insulation I've actually been looking for a used parachute to to that. I was thinking of doing the same thing like on man vs. wild or survivorman what they turned there parachute into a hammock and stuffed it with leaves and stuff. I can't wait to see the result.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    What's wrong with it that got it thrown in the trash? If the container(the backpack) is still in good shape then I'd try to sell it. They may want a rigger to check it out for safety though. If you make a hammock out of it the lines on it are likely spectra and will likely be rated to at least 1000# so you could incorporate those into your suspension maybe. A RL would be your best bet because that stuff can be pretty slick and I know the parachute line I have isn't splicable. Just out of curiousity what brand is the container?
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus87 View Post
    . There is a full size parachute and what looks like a Hanglider chute in the pack.
    Opus
    Are you saying that there is a secondary chute in the top area of the pack, as well as the main chute? That'd be the reserve chute.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

I would not sell a parachute I found in the trash. If someone was throwing out something you depend on to keep you from plummeting to the earth at over 100mph it probably should not be something someone's life depends on. I would not want that kind of liability . Especially not when you see the news report on the danger of used parachutes .

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Hahaha I wasn't saying sell the canopy, I was saying sell the container if it's not damaged And that's why I made the comment about a rigger checking it out. I find it odd that anyone would throw out a whole rig. Whatever parts are bad can be fixed or replaced. Parachutes are effin expensive there's no way I'd throw mine out, and my canopy is from 89'

Hammock
    diy double layer
    Tarp
    diy winter tarp
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SwinginIt View Post
    Hahaha I wasn't saying sell the canopy, I was saying sell the container if it's not damaged And that's why I made the comment about a rigger checking it out. I find it odd that anyone would throw out a whole rig. Whatever parts are bad can be fixed or replaced. Parachutes are effin expensive there's no way I'd throw mine out, and my canopy is from 89'
    Looks like a fellow jumper! Well, I am now an ex jumper due to health reasons but wow do I miss it! Be safe up there! BSBD!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Sadly I am an ex jumper as well due to finances and a kid. And I know what you mean about missing it, hardly a day goes by that I don't wish I was up there with the clouds.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    I have two parachutes kicking around. One is normal camo, it is huge, the other is coast guard I think Vietnam era. The Vietnam era has all the rigging, the camo has the rigging cut off. I had planned on making a shelter and a hammock, but gave up after looking the chute over, I just can not waste that much perfectly good fabric. So the chutes are sitting in storage waiting for a project, that is probably never going to happen.

So if anyone has suggestions for what to do with old chuts, please post something, I think several of us have them hanging around.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast