SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings

About a bag

So when I first jumped into backpacking, I bought some gear off of a co worker including a Kelty rectangular bag filled with 3 lbs. of Hollofil II material. it's bulky, but I've been comfortable in it when I've used it. But here's the gist: I don't have a clue as to what it's rated for temp wise. Planning a winter hang in January and it'd be nice to know what comfortable temp rating it holds.

Anybody know what 3 lbs of Hollofil II will get you?

Just curious if I should find additional top insulation. weight and bulk aren't too big of an issue because the plan is to pull a sled across snow for the 2-3 miles into camp.

Also in the process of constructing a DIY bottom quilt out of reclaimed down, so bottom should be fine.

Hammock
    DH Thunderbird or WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly or HHx
    Insulation
    HG 0deg Inc/Bur
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    Donk,

Doing a little bit of sleuthing, here's what I came up with:

"Information about Overeasy Hollofil® Sleeping Bag By Kelty

Aptly named "over easy," this bag keeps you comfortable on warm nights (down to 40°) with two layers of Hollofil® II on top. Then when the mercury drops (to 20°), it can be turned over to cover you with three layers of insulation. Semi-rectangular shape, double draft tubes, foot zipper for cooling. Shell is 70 denier nylon taffeta with comfortable poly/cotton liner. 32x74". Fits up to 5'11". 3 lb. 14 oz. Stuffed size 9x18". Closeouts. China. "

According to the above, that particular Kelty model is stuffed with 3lbs 14 oz and can go down to 20* depending on whether its on top or bottom.

I would guess that if you have 3lbs of Hollofill you will probably get 40* out of that bag realistically.

Hope the above helps.

All the best.
    Gil
    Just Hanging Out !

Hammock
    DIY Insulated 3.5 season
    Insulation
    Boreal Beast UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and rings .
    I definitely would not trust it down to what may be zero degrees at that time of year at that latitude . A reletively cheap and not too heavy solution is to buy two patrol bags from the MSS system snap them together and slide these inside the Kelty bag . These are kinda like poncho liners on steroids and I have taken them down to about 28 windy degrees comfortabley with an underquilt .

Find the patrol bags at Armygear.net for about 18 a piece . Dont get the intermediate black bag IMHO even tho it has a lower rating it is smaller and heavier then the patrol bag ( it is meant to slip inside the larger patrol bag ) . The two patrol bags snapped together provide you with another dead air spact that costs you nothing in weight .

WHOA the prices have gone up a bit . OK you can buy the M1949 bag for about 50 bucks and augment with that too . ( it weighs about 7 lbs with the zipper ) Patrol bags now about 25 apiece .

Buy them here http://www.armygear.net/ag/store/sea...%26%20Blankets

Actually anything on that page would be good except the black bag alone . The ECW at 50 bucks is a beast but 10 plus pounds . You could leave your Kelty home then . Armgears used stuff has always been fine IMHO .
    Last edited by riverjoe; 11-26-2013 at 00:04.

Hammock
    SLD Trail Lair
    Tarp
    12' Trail Haven
    Insulation
    Greylock, EE Revel
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Thanks for the info SemperFi... In all honesty, I'd forgotten I'd posted this question.
    Not sure why I couldn't find that info, so I appreciate your detective skills. I ended up buying a cheap walmart bag rated for 0 degrees, but didn't get to test it to it's claimed rating on my winter hang because the temp stayed in the 20s all weekend.

• + New Posts