Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Hanging Rock, NC First Trip

I made my first overnight trip to Hanging Rock State Park Friday 22nd-Sat. 23rd, November 2013. Trip was spur of the moment to get out ahead of the cold front moving in and to test out my new WL Light Owl and the Tadpole with pull-outs. Temps were in the low-50s with 10-15mph winds with intermittent rain.
    Hanging Rock is reported to be one of the best NC state parks and sits at the top of the ancient Sauratown Mountains. Before setting up camp I made a quick hike via Hanging Rock Trail 1.2mi. each way to catch the sunset at Hanging Rock. The view, while still spectacular was rather spartan since most of the leaves are off the trees and the sunset blocked by heavy clouds. With the winds whipping across the top, I quickly decided I'd seen all I needed and made it back to the campsite before full dark.

Back at the camp, I pulled out my new WL Light Owl and Tadpole only to realize I'd left my suspension straps hanging in my backyard at home. So, with the rain starting I made a b-line for the nearest hardware store which, for future reference is CC Moore & Son in Lawsonville. Bought two 1000lb. 1" webbing cam straps. When I got back to camp it was just starting to rain. It was a "firedrill" getting the Tarp, Hammock and Fire going before everything got soaked. I was glad I'd practiced it all at home and brought some fire starter nuggets that helped get the damp logs started.

It rained on an off all night but I stated comfortable reading in the hammock under the Tadpole. I was very glad that I went with the external pole mod. It feels like it doubles the space under the tarp and kept the wet nylon well away from the hammock while still pitched fairly low. For under insulation I was trying two fanned out 1/4" JRB Torso pads. I woke in the wee hours with a chill on my lower legs/calves. If not for the call of nature I'd have probably slept through it but decided to throw in my inflatable BA Insulated AirCore. That turned out to be a mistake as I woke with damp back/legs from condensation. Still working on dialing in the insulation for different temps.

After breakfast, Muddy and I started up the 4.2 Mile "Strenuous" Moore's Wall Loop Trail which leads to Moore's Knob, the highest point in the Sauratown Mountain range at 2,572 ft.

My middle aged out of shape body certainly found the trek "strenuous" as I stumbled up the wet rock trail. But, I was feeling pretty good as I neared the top since I had seen no one else and expected to be the first up. As I stopped to wipe the sweat from my brow, a pack of superhuman ultra trail runners came cruising by like they were on a high speed escalator.

The reward at the top is an old fire tower that allows you to climb above the rest of the range with great panoramic views of all the surrounding terrain features including Pilot Mountain Knob to the West.

The walk back down was less interesting. The trail down consisted of monotous stone steps every 2 paces that pounds the knees. I met other hikers asking if they had to come back down the same way they came up and I heartily recommended they take the longer full loop where the trail more rugged but much more scenic and interesting.

Overall it was a successful trip, I learned a few things and enjoyed a brisk walk in the woods with good views at the end. I recommend this park to fellow hangers.

Hammock
    wbbb xlc, rr, wwm
    Tarp
    HG cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    WL, HG
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Did you stay in the Rv campground or are you allowed to backcountry camp?

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Light Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Down SB, WL UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    This was the "Family Campground." There are two campsite loops, one for tents and the other for RVs. Well established pads with fire pit/stoves, a picnic table, plenty of trees, and a bath house.
    I understand that there are 5 "group camping" wilderness sites but but I don't think they are far removed from civilization.
    Here's their website: http://ncparks.gov/Visit/parks/haro/activities.php
    Last edited by JLeephoto; 11-24-2013 at 18:09.

Hammock
    WBXLC, WBBB, LiteOwl
    Tarp
    Superfly, MambaJam
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix, WL Sum
    Suspension
    Webbing, Whoopies
    Images

Re: Hanging Rock, NC First Trip

Sounds like a good test of the gear.
    Good improvising on the straps.

Hammock
    DIY, Dutch Argon
    Tarp
    Squidbilly/Tadpole
    Insulation
    20 Incubator,WL SS
    Suspension
    whoopies, MSH
    Glorious scenery, even if there are no leaves on the trees. Thanks for sharing.
    Keep movin', keep believing and enjoy the journey!

Hammock
    wbbb XLC
    Tarp
    CubenWinter Palace
    Insulation
    Down TQ, UQ
    Suspension
    single ring
    Images
    Good work on the Photos. I hike up there all the time, but don't hang there often because of the fee to stay overnight.

Hammock
    WL Nite Owl
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    KAQ under, WL over
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I love the Moore's Wall loop, but agree completely on the "steps". I got a complete set of suspension parts from Marty and keep them in my camping box. It is so easy to forget them at home and equally easy to leave them in the woods. I think we have all done it.

• + New Posts