Hammock
    SimplyLight Trail Layer
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ & EE TQ
    Suspension
    UCR

SNF Sectioning the AT in June '14... Gear recommendations?

I'm hitting the trail for 2 weeks in late June: planning on traveling the length of the Shenandoah National Forest, and (if I still have time before having to hop on the plane) making my way up to Harper's Ferry. Research says average low temp in June is 55 in the SNF.

Grew up in VA but haven't been there for a decade... Living in Texas has also skewed my ideas of what "warm" and "summer" mean. Also for the record I'm a cold sleeper, I'm short (3/4 length UQ is practically full body), and I'm squirmy so pads end up hanging half out of the hammock in about 15 minutes. So let's talk gear.

Hammock- trading in my GTUL for either Simply Light's Tree Runner or a Weight Weenie. Haven't made up my mind yet.

Lower Insulation- 3/4 20* UGQ Zeppelin (yay xmas! ). Normally I use nothing for most of the year, it's only when it gets below 70 at night that I need something extra. (see what I mean by skewed ideas?) Overkill?

Upper Insulation- If I need anything I normally use just a Poncho Liner with no UQ during most of the year. Thoughts on if this + my UQ will be enough for a cold-blooded creature like me? Also have considered throwing one of those sleeping bag liners into my pack for a little extra warmth.

Tarp- it'll be a hex, I know that. My current is a Home Depot Special which has worked well for me so far, but probably wouldn't last until then. I like the look of the MacCat Standard...

Suspension question: What is the biggest length tree straps people have found they needed? Haven't run into many large trunks around here, so again with the skewed perspective.

Opinions? Recommendations? Reality Checks? All welcome
    Last edited by sparkygeek; 11-27-2013 at 00:21.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Ultralight
    Tarp
    DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    Bag and underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    When I hiked that portion of the trail, it was rather windy so make sure your tarp is big enough to give you good protection.

While the average low may be 55, you gotta figure its probably gonna be a humid and sticky 55. As far as suspension, I was using a 6' ratchet strap for that section and they served me well...all but once, and that was just me being stubborn on my location. There were plenty of other suitable locations, I just wanted to hang next to the brook that ran 20 feet from the shelter. I used paracord as an extension on the strap and it somehow slipped through the metal hook on the end under tension. THUD! And a big thud at that. Fortunately that has been the only time I went to the ground from the hanging position.

Hammock
    SimplyLight Trail Layer
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    UGQ UQ & EE TQ
    Suspension
    UCR
    When I hiked that portion of the trail, it was rather windy so make sure your tarp is big enough to give you good protection.
    I ended up getting the Tadpole from Wilderness Logic which seems pretty big for my stature, but we will see in real hanging conditions!

While the average low may be 55, you gotta figure its probably gonna be a humid and sticky 55. As far as suspension, I was using a 6' ratchet strap for that section and they served me well...all but once, and that was just me being stubborn on my location.
    Humidity- Texas has taught me the ways of the wet air, so that I will be ready for.
    Suspension- Given that I'm stubborn I should probably learn from your example. Been meaning to grab some Dutch Clips anyway, so I'll add some longer tree straps to the shopping list. Gee, more hammock gear? What a shame.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    OES Spinn
    Insulation
    RAB & WM Blue CCF
    Suspension
    Many DIY
    I've done this section several times. I don't think the length of your suspension needs to be long. My setup fits into a narrower spot than a standard blackbird, which my partner uses. I found because of that, my setup had more hanging options in SNP. There are plenty of trees. Sometimes too many, especially if you stay away from the shelters. Which is a good idea... We hung in some amazing backcountry camps.

I would agree that a larger tarp is better. I use a well used MacCat. The cat cut tarps seem to shed wind well for their coverage.

Overall, be ready for consecutive days of rain, consecutive days of humid, sticky heat, and days of the perfect in-between. I would prepare the most for the rain. Nothing dries well out east. The good days at that time of year will be simply amazing.
    Zach Rohe Photography https://zachrohe.com

• + New Posts