Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Hammock
    BIAS, WB

New Incubator Suspension Question

Hi Guys,

I had sent my incubator to get the updated suspension a little while ago.

The primary suspension on the head end is just two loose ends with cord locks on them, just the secondary suspension is connecting to the quilt hook.

All the videos I've seen and the picture on HG website show the primary suspension connecting up into the quilt hook.

Am I supposed to tie those loose ends of the primary suspension together into the quilt hook somehow?

Hope this makes sense, i'm new to underquilts.

Thanks.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Answer Part 1

The lines with the loose ends and cord locks you describe are not part of the 'suspension', methinks. Those are for tightening the head and foot ends horizontally, so that it 'gathers'. See pics attached.

Next post has more pics and more explanation on actual suspension components
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    BIAS, WB
    No I do have the cord locks to tighten horizontly. You see your thick shockcord running out above the secondary suspension? On mine that cord just has a cord lock on it and does not connect to the white clip.

Hammock
    BIAS, WB

See how the primary suspension just has a cordlock and does not continue up to the quilt hook like the secondary suspension is.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks

Answer part 2

Ah. Well, ponder this then (sorry if it's stuff you already know) and then perhaps you might not have the new suspension after all.

The new suspension is two parts.

The 'Primary' suspension is one long piece of shock cord, that runs down one long side of the quilt through the grossgrain channel, loops around and runs back up the other long side of the quilt through the channel on that side, and then conencts back to itself. Effectively it makes a giant oval (or a giant loop, depending on how you look at it). See the first two pics below, which show it right up by the quilt, and further back a bit. This suspension is what actually holds the quilt up to the hammock. And by having the long channels on each side, you can slide the quilt along that shock cord either towards the foot end or head end, to get it centered on your hammock and body.

The "Secondary" suspension attaches directly to the corners of the quilt with a larger plastic cord lock (see third picture below). This connects to a similar cord lock on the other corner of the same end of the quilt. The center of the shock cord should connect to the quilt hook or s-biner (depending on what you have). By tightening or loosening this cord at the cord locks, it pulls the ends of the quilt towards the ends of the hammock, effectively stretching it out straight along the primary suspension. This makes sure that when you are lying in your hammock, the ends of your quilt don't sag towards the middle of your body/hammock, in essence shortening the length of your quilt and possibly opening gaps of cold air.

If you only have the 'secondary' as you described, then you're missing some pieces. You have a couple options:

Get back in touch with HG and let them know, and perhaps they'll send you stuff to fix it.

Or

Tie the loose ends of the secondary suspension together so it makes one piece that goes from corner to corner. Then get yourself 12-15 feet of shock cord and run it down one long side channel and back up the other side, and make your own primary.

Good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_q View Post

See how the primary suspension just has a cordlock and does not continue up to the quilt hook like the secondary suspension is.
    Oops - you posted while I was typing. Sorry - you said you were new to UQs, so I was being thorough. No offense intended if I went over stuff you already seem to know

Yeah, that's wacky. There is no reason to have those bigger cord locks where they are. Are they on all four corners?

I'd send that picture to HG, and inquire as to the reasoning behind it. Might have just been an oversight by someone in their team. All you really need is a long piece of shock cord to fix it - I bet they'd fix you right up. Or if it's easier, just get one from somewhere else. A couple dollars worth of shock cord and you'll be golden.

If you try to tie those piece together on each end, I don't know that it will be long enough to stretch the whole length you'd need to hang it without being too tight.

Hammock
    BIAS, WB
    Thanks for all your pictures and explanation.

I do believe that my primary suspension is just not tied together through the quilt hook. I'm not actually sure that there is even enough shock cord in the channel to tie it together. The big cord locks are only on the head end, the primary is tied into the quilt hook on the foot end.

I have been having alot of problems with adjusting the quilt up and down the channel, so I think this explains it.

I'm going to take a look at it again after lunch.

Hammock
    DH, WBBB, Dutch, DIY
    Tarp
    HG, WBSF, UGQ
    Insulation
    HG, LLG
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen_q View Post
    Thanks for all your pictures and explanation.

I do believe that my primary suspension is just not tied together through the quilt hook. I'm not actually sure that there is even enough shock cord in the channel to tie it together.

I have been having alot of problems with adjusting the quilt up and down the channel, so I think this explains it.

I'm going to take a look at it again after lunch.
    Yeah, if those ends aren't connected, making one giant loop that runs through the channels, then there really is no 'adjusting the quilt up and down the channel" possible.

Technically you CAN hang the quilt using just the secondary - but I can't see it as a good option with an incubator. It's the thinner shock cord, which means that the weight of the full length quilt is likely too much for the lighter cord to properly keep snug against the hammock body.

Good luck!

Hammock
    BIAS, WB
    lol Yah, man I have had some frustrating moments trying to move it with the secondary suspension. Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    webbing and rings
    The suspension is two separate "U" shaped pieces of shock cord that do not run through any channels.

You use the linelocs to adjust how taut or loose the quilt hangs against the hammock (this can require a bit of fiddling to "move the hammock up or down" like you mention as you have to tighten the head "U" and loosen the foot "U" to move the hammock towards the head end of the hammock and vise versa to move it towards the foot end).

The 4 channels are then strung with 4 pieces of shock cord with cordlocks that adjust how snugly the seal is at the head/foot/sides of the hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast