Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    WB SF, soon HG WP
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Epsilon vs Argon

Hey everyone, I'm making a pretty order on black friday from HG (big for me anyway) 2 incubators and 1 Burrow. I'll have to save up a bit more for the winter palace. I have emailed and left a msg with HG and haven't heard back yet, but im sure they are swamped with the move and holiday coming up, so maybe some of you can help a brother out.

Can anyone detail the differnce in the Epsilon fabric vs the Argon? Everyone is raving about the Argon, but I love that multi-cam color only in the epsilon. Im wondering about weight differnce, feel of fabric, and water resistanceness of it. Also if anyone knows if/what new colors will be available Fri?

Also, I have read a bunch about which temp rating to go with and figured I would ask as well. I'm typically a warm sleeper. I camp mostly in the spring, summer, fall, and I would say 60 % of the nights have lows in the high 40s to low 50s and up. Another 30% of the nights are 30-40*, and the last 10% is low teens to 30. I hang in a clark NX-250 most of the time, and was using a 10* full length underquilt and have been warm (but it was huge, bulky, and heavy) so I sold it and am now going HG. I dont really like the 3/4 length quilts.

I am thinking 20* incubator with 2 oz overstuff and a 40* incubator standard along with a 20*, half taper, standard fill burrow. I already have a light TQ for warm summer temps.

I'm also wanting a new pillow and really like the idea of the goose feet stuff sack pillow. Do you think Adam can make one like that? I currently use one of those neck pillows you buy at the airport. I like it alot, but again, its pretty heavey and very bulky. I dont think a straight down pillow will offer enough support, so I like the idea of using the down cover with the exped inflatable inner.

I think this should take care of all of my situations, what do you guys think? Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Mike

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    epsilon is 40d and argon is 10d, epsion weights about 1.5 oz per sq. yard, i think argon is .69 oz.

Hammock
    ENO SingleNest & DoubleNest
    Tarp
    CCS Tundra Tarp
    Insulation
    Exped pads
    Suspension
    ENO Atlas
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nuttysquirrel View Post
    epsilon is 40d and argon is 10d, epsion weights about 1.5 oz per sq. yard, i think argon is .69 oz.
    But how many yards of fabric are there in a quilt? In other words, what's the difference in weight in finished quilts of the two fabrics?

Hammock
    DH Roaming Gnome
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    KAQ New River
    Suspension
    Whoopies

Argon vs Epsilon

I called HG about that very same thing. Adam told me that the Argon was lighter, of course. He wanted to have a camo option, although not as light, it met his standards for permeability for moisture to escape and a few other things that I forgot. I'm a camo guy too, but I'm beginning to see the merit in counting grams as I get older and achier. I chose the argon. just bought a Burrow 20° 2 weeks ago, getting ready to drop the hammer on a Incubator 20° tomorrow. He can probably make anything you want.
    Expect the Best,
    Prepare for the Worst
    Attributed to some poor guy who ran into Murphy,
    Too many times

Hammock
    diy, hk2001,bmbh
    Tarp
    diy hex or aysym
    Insulation
    diy's,jarbidge!!!!
    Suspension
    whoops, ucr, dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyYarusso View Post
    But how many yards of fabric are there in a quilt? In other words, what's the difference in weight in finished quilts of the two fabrics?
    1 belive it's about 2-3 oz.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    WB SF, soon HG WP
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    So if I choose the Epsilon outer shell, it will come with argon Inner shell Correct? THat means the only weight differnce is the outer. I guess 2 - 3 ozs sounds about right. 78" by 44" should be about 2 1/2 sq yards of material. and give me a total weight of about 26.5 oz. I think I can live with that. Is there any bennifits to the epsilon as an outer shell of an underquilt? Do I get more durability for that added weight? I'm really only interested in the camp for the UQ. I will use the Argon for burrow and maybe the 40* where I'm a little more weight consious.

Thanks for the info everyone.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Nutty hit it on the head, I would estimate about 3 oz difference between a UQ with the different fabric, I will say however that argon in SOFT, I would much rather have it as the top quilt due to it being so soft. Also you do not really see the top quilt when hanging. I am a fan of my 0* multicam UQ and brown TQ. I will be buying a 20* set with same material choice soon. Hopefully in time for black Friday but I will have to wait and see..... Finances are tight right now. But if the discount is good enough I will jump.

My setup FYI with the warbonnet XLC DL in MC.

Camped on the hill to the left in some pines/ quakies

Lake when leaving

Had some decent snow... yes Im a multicam fan.

Hammock
    Clark NX-250
    Tarp
    WB SF, soon HG WP
    Insulation
    HG incubator
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Yep spool, that looks awesome. I'm leaning in the same direction.

• + New Posts