Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Looking for advice for a real underquilt

Hi there,

I'm sleeping in a hammock in my bedroom. Thus far, I've been unable to find an underquilt that works consistently for me.

I first tried using just a poncho liner and that was not warm enough. Then I tried using an old sleeping bag, but that is really heavy and it's hard to keep it pressed up against me at night. Then I tried folding the poncho liner in half, but that's too short for me, and still not warm enough. I tried several different pads underneath me, but I woke up sweating with those and was very uncomfortable. I'm now using the poncho liner, with a folded bed protector inside of it, and it's still too short for me and not warm enough.

At this point, I just want to get a good night sleep and not wake up at 3 in the morning, freezing cold or sweating. I'm not sure what to buy, but I think I'm ready to stop being a cheapskate and just spend some money for a quality product rather than being unable to sleep through the night.

So I think I need to buy or make an underquilt. I'm looking for something that will work well in my house and bedroom, where it gets down to maybe 60 degrees at night. But I also want whatever I get to be reusable when I take the hammock outside. I'm thinking that to simplify, maybe I should just aim for a 3 season hammock instead of a 4 season one since I'm most probably not going to be hammocking outside when it's snowing. And I'd really love to get something that I could collapse down to a very small size via a stuff sack.

I'm using a homemade double-layer hammock that I made from 2 90"x156" crinkle taffeta tablecloths. I weigh 220 pounds and I'm 6'1".

Here's what I don't like about what I've tried so far:

- Sleeping bag: really heavy to travel with when traveling or visiting friends; too wide(?) to keep it tight to my hammock at night, or at least, if I have it tight up against me, it's hard to get into since it's rectangular.
    - Poncho liner: too short; stretching out in it means that my feet are hitting the corded edge and it feels uncomfortable; not warm enough; still kind of heavy

I'd really appreciate some recommendations on what would be a good hammock underquilt for me. I'd rather spend a little more money for quality and reusability than just buy the cheapest thing now and then have it not be useful for hammocking outside.

Should I be looking for a synthetic or down fill?

Is it significantly cheaper to make a homemade underquilt versus buying a ready-made one? I was looking at http://www.tothewoods.net/RedRiverGo...orgeQuilt.html and it looks like just for the down fill, it's already going to cost $150 or so, just for the down. I'm thinking that if I'm looking at that price range, I might be more inclined to pay another $100 or so and have someone who knows what they're doing just make the whole thing for me.

Thank you very much for your time!

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Sounds like you have done some good testing so far. A ready made Underquilt from one of the vendors will range from $150 and up depending on synthetic or down and how warm. For inside at 60 or so a summer/1season quilt would be great but if you do want to use the same quilt for some camping a good 3 season will be more versatile.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Keep an eye out for Black Friday sales. Good deals coming up! One thing that has worked for me is taping a wool blanket or fleece to a ccf pad, then inserting it between the double layers. If there is any sweat, the blanket absorbs it and you don't even notice it.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 11-26-2013 at 17:22.

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    Keep an eye out for Black Friday sales. Good deals coming up!
    Some deals have been running already
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hammock
    Nano 7
    Tarp
    Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 40 TQ and UQ
    Suspension
    dynaglide
    Hammockgear underquilts are very well made and are super good with customers. I would call and ask questions for sure. They can custom make anything you want really. I love their Phoenix 40 degree with the dual system suspension.

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    I can recommend all vendors mentioned above.

Undergroundquilts.com is another option.

He specializes in making UQ and TQ shells. Three sides finished, all baffles installed. You fill with as much down as you want/can afford, tack the baffles shut, inject the remaining side shut. Save a few bucks.

He can even finish a shell for you, for a reasonable price, and still bring you in under your budget. Very good to work with, and attention to detail is great. We aren't sure how he does it. Price things out yourself and see.
    Signature suspended

Images
    Marty's summer series underquilt at Wilderness Logics would be worth a look

http://wildernesslogics.com/SSUQ-SUM...NDER-QUILT.htm

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Rolloff View Post
    I can recommend all vendors mentioned above.

Undergroundquilts.com is another option.

He specializes in making UQ and TQ shells. Three sides finished, all baffles installed. You fill with as much down as you want/can afford, tack the baffles shut, inject the remaining side shut. Save a few bucks.

He can even finish a shell for you, for a reasonable price, and still bring you in under your budget. Very good to work with, and attention to detail is great. We aren't sure how he does it. Price things out yourself and see.
    Ummmm... We make complete products only, that would be another vendor but we will be having a Black Friday sale with 40*F Zeppelin Down Underquilts starting $154.95usd complete...
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    currently hammeck envy
    Tarp
    superfly, tadpole
    Insulation
    phnx,zepp,jbrdge
    Suspension
    straps, hammock an
    lol i think he meant underquilts.com
    It's not the boulders that throw us off balance, it's the pebbles beneath our feet

Hammock
    Bonefire Whisper
    Tarp
    HG DCF Hex
    Insulation
    Sheltowee JRB SS
    Suspension
    Bonefire
    Meh...buy from either one

you can't go wrong.
    Signature suspended

• + New Posts