Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling

MEC Silnylon guide tarp

I ordered a silnylon guide tarp (sour apple green) late on a Friday night and the following Friday it was delivered to my home. I was very excited I grabbed my new tarp and the kids and headed to the in laws for the weekend. I started to set the hammock and tarp up in the in laws backyard glad to have avoided a cramped night in their small spare bed with the wife and two dogs. Here is where things get weird the tarp tie down points on the long side are not space out at regular intervals. Along the long 390cm side the grommets are at 96 cm and 230 cm from one side. There is also a center tie out in the middle of the tarp that is inline with the 230 cm edge tie out. This leaves it at approx 230 from one side and 160 from the other side. Has anyone else bought one of these tarps and are the dimensions similar? When i called the local MEC they said that the tarp they had was also not regularly spaced. On Thursday I plan on going in to see about exchanging it, if the one they have isn't better should i just return it.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / JRB UQ
    Images
    Hi there,

That appears to be how they are made at least according to MEC's website. I just took a look there , it shows tie outs as you described them (the 96cm tie-out only on one end of the tarp). This is probably for pitching options with hiking poles.

It should work in the traditional pitch over the hammock with three tie outs on each side, even if the middle tie out is offset, but you would only be able to make a door at one end if you wanted to close it. It should do great porch and Baker pitch modes as well.

Cheers

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    If you look at the me site under question under tarp set up variations a staff member states that it should be at regular intervals

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Here is the answer on the web site " Thanks for the suggestion to make a video specifically for how to setup a tarp tent. If the video you found was somewhat helpful you can replace the niteize caribeaners with an inexpensive guy line tightener or knots. The link below has a number of knot examples. The Prussik Variant is fully adjustable. http://www.backpacking-lite.co.uk/l... If the grommets on your tarp are not of equal distance return it as they are intended to be evenly spaced."

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1dl
    Tarp
    OMW
    Insulation
    DIY TQ / JRB UQ
    Images
    I'll fire you a pm, the one I am looking at has offset tieouts Regardless of the hole placement, if it works for you and you like it then all is good. If not then return it for something else that works for you.

Cheers

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle hammock
    Tarp
    MEC silnylon guide
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    I went to MEC today to compare my tarp to one in the store. The locations for the grommets were the same. The friendly staff checked the computer and found this is done so that it can be better used in a pyramid configuration.

• + New Posts