WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs

Comparing bag & pad vs. UQ & TQ, with Ridgerunner

I'm confused over how insulated an under quilt and top quilt to get, and how close to the same temperature level they should be; I'm hoping someone can help me think this through.

Last summer, I was fine in my new Ridge Runner using just a Thermarest self-inflating pad and my old Sierra Designs Van Winkle 600 sleeping bag (rated at 20*, I think); maybe it got down to 50*. But: heavier / bulkier than I'd like, and the pad was a pain to pack up with no tent floor to squeeze out its air. Thinking of getting a full length UQ (20* Lynx) and TQ (maybe a Burrow).

Seems like this new stuff will be much warmer, since the UQ won't be scrunched down by my weight. Given that (I think) the Lynx will be so much warmer than what I'm used to, do I need a 20* Burrow (i.e., similar to my old sleeping bag), or a lighter 40* Burrow (so as not to overheat)? No need for 0* stuff, for me.

Most use will probably be in the summer, in Oregon. Maybe some Spring / Fall, or higher elevations, with average night temps ~20*. OTOH I don't want to be uncomfortably hot, bundled up in 20* insulation on summer nights. How do I compare what seems like a very warm UQ vs. a measly pad?

So far, I'm leaning toward the Lynx because I want something that fits my Ridge Runner well, and I think I want a full-length UQ (the Ridge Creek is partial). I'm leaning toward a Burrow because my feet like to be uncovered; the Black Mamba's sewn-in footbox seems like it might feel confining.

But I've never seen any UQ or TQ in person, so I don't really know about either choice. Comments from those with experience are most welcome!

Hammock
    11'x72" 1.6 HyperD XL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    APEX TQ & UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    I have not used the Lynx, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt...

I really like using my Exped Synmat UL LW in my ridgerunner double layer. It fits perfectly in the pad pocket. It's wide enough to keep me toasty warm. I think it makes the ridgerunner more comfortable than when I try it without the pad. It serves as a windblock for the underside of the hammock, so no undercover necessary. And, it can be used if I have to go to ground or spend the night in a shelter.

I bring along the Exped Schnozzel pump bag to easily blow up the mattress. It also serves as a dry bag for my sleeping bag, clothes and sleeping mat when hiking. I lay the empty air mattress in the hammock and air it up with the pump bag, then slide it in the pad pocket. When its time to pack up, I pull the deflate plug on the air mattress while still laying in the hammock and wiggle around to wring out as much air as possible. Then I finish the deflate job by slipping the mostly deflated air mattress out of the pad pocket and laying it in the hammock again. I then gather the air mattress together in my fist and slide my fist down it towards the deflate valve, purging the last of the air out of the mat. Then I just roll it up while it is lying in the hammock and pack it away.

At this point, I am pretty happy with my system, so I doubt I will go for an underquilt any time soon.....

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Im using a 20 linx with the 20 mamba.
    Been to 10 degrees with it.
    At 10 the heat would build and fade,like a radio station that is too far away.
    Minimal wind block at the time.
    My stomach was growling from lack of fuel to burn.
    In my opinion the 20 degree range is perfect,you can vent in warm weather.
    In cold you can supliment other warming items.
    the only way you will know how your metabolism will act for you is to wade in.
    good luck

Hammock
    Amok Draumr
    Tarp
    OEM
    Insulation
    AHE White Cloud
    Suspension
    OEM
    My WBRR is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I kinda went all in -- Lynx 20 deg full length and Spindrift (I requested two doors). Might be able to try it this weekend in weather in the low 20s. Should be interesting.

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonopah View Post
    My WBRR is supposed to arrive tomorrow. I kinda went all in -- Lynx 20 deg full length and Spindrift (I requested two doors). Might be able to try it this weekend in weather in the low 20s. Should be interesting.
    Great set up! Im a cold sleeper, so I got the 0 degree lynx------and have used it in the 50s with no problem. The 2 door mod is really cool--I modded my own a few months ago. (Im sure brandons looks better!) Makes an amazing difference in condensation/ ventilation etc. Have fun!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Burrow; pads, Lynx
    Suspension
    Dutch's Cinch Bugs
    Thanks, all.

I ordered a 20* Burrow, and will hold off on the Lynx for now since its not on sale (I sent Brandon an email; maybe a blemished one will turn up before summer).

Hairbear and Stevebo, thanks for your comments; I'm a fairly warm sleeper, and settled on the 20* TQ. Mad Goat, it does seem like your pad is much easier to deal with in the field than my Thermorest self-inflating one; I'll look at getting a different pad for warm or windy weather. Tonopah, please let us know how your new stuff works out for you.

Nothing to do now but wait...

• + New Posts