Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images

Sipsey Wilderness hang

Certainly not the best hang I've been on but here it is. Me and Grapenut at the Sipesy wilderness.Trip was cut short because of my stupidity..

Last edited by Jaxx; 11-27-2013 at 09:19.
    Don't be scared ,it's just a beard.

My youtube videos on Hiking ,Camping & Cooking

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird
    Tarp
    Custom HNO Airship
    Insulation
    YETI UQ, UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    Hammock Anchors
    Jaxx and I decided with very little planning to get out and enjoy the Fall "shoulder season" here in Alabama last week. We met up in the Sipsey Forest on Thursday around noon and hiked in to our first spot which is a new favorite of mine...and fortunately it wasn't too far from the trail head. The plan was to stay until Sunday, film some of the many waterfalls in the area, and test our gear in temps that were forecasted to get into the 20s.

The hike in was nice, the conversation was light, and the setup at our first planned stop was cheerful...until we realized we left some gear at home (I'll let Jaxx tell that part of the story, LOL)...and that's when things got "focused", we adjusted, and everything worked out. That is to say, we decided to take it day by day, based upon the forecasted temps. We toughed it out for two nights that included rain and temps in the low 50s. We decided to skidaddle out of there before the third night to avoid the cold front and enjoy Momma's Pancake Breakfast at the first Cracker Barrel we could find.

I for one had a great time even though we had to call an audible on our plans.

Hopefully our next trip will include some of the Cheaha gang with Squidbilly and his boys along to share some of their local knowledge of Sipsey historical stuff...

G-Nut
    Ever eat a pine tree? Me neither...

Nice spot.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Jaxx the firestarter in the solo stove demo looked familiar. I love the sipsey. Every time we go there is some form of disaster but then there is also a payoff. The sipsey gives and it takes away.

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    Imoseley7 , you would be correct on the solo stove demo. I posted a video on how to make it in the off topic area, thanks for telling me how to make it..

I also made another kind this week by cutting out the round bottoms of an egg carton and then stuffing it with dryer lint and dunking it in paraffin wax. not sure how it will work, as I haven't tried it yet.

Hammock
    I only have the ones I've made
    Tarp
    DIY Bumble Bee
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I'll have to check out the video.

Images
    Enjoyed your video. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger.
    Bravo for not just bailing as soon as you discoved your sleep kit was not complete.
    I am sure many of us can relate.
    Although I have not completely forgotten my quilts I have brought the wrong ones which also made for a chilly night.

Did you guys attempt a makeshift UQ? How did you end up using the SB? In the video you said something aboutjust laying on it.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Leighlo
    I was there in January. Lots of blow downs from a recent tornado. We finished the 19 mile loop. Very pretty country..

Hammock
    Bonefire whisper/Airship
    Tarp
    Airship
    Insulation
    WB Yeti//HG TQ
    Suspension
    All in one
    Images
    I ended up just laying on top of the SB. It rained all day and I didn't want to take the chance of getting it wet. The whole trip plan was just a series of bad mistakes. I usually pack my gear a few days ahead of time , then unpack the night before and repack making sure I have everything. We ended up going out with some friends and getting home late and didn't repack. My top quilt and under quilt were still hanging in the closet. So now im thinking of buying a big tupperware container and keeping all my gear in it so I know from now on everything in the container goes. I will be folding the TQ and UQ and laying them on top of everything.That shouldn't be a problem with them compressing should it?

Hammock
    Hammeck Netty
    Tarp
    HG dyneema/MacCat
    Insulation
    DIY UQ and UGQ TQ
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Jaxx View Post
    So now im thinking of buying a big tupperware container and keeping all my gear in it so I know from now on everything in the container goes.
    I had the same idea, but it expanded into a bunch of plastic storage containers to permanently store my sorted gear in. LOL

Also, I learned early on that forgetting things would happen, so I started my own checklist, which has grown and changed over the years. That checklist has saved my butt several times from driving off without important items.

I hope to get to Sipsey in 2014. Have heard a lot about it and it's not too far from Nashville.

Rain Man

"You can stand tall without standing on someone. You can be a victor without having victims." --Harriet Woods

http://www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast