WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Edge and Noah 12
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles

Zeppelin Questions?

I have been searching for an underquilt but have a few questions first. I live in West Virginia. It can get quite cold here, it is below 0*F as I type but this kind of weather passes quickly. I want to get a 20* Zeppelin, it seems to be the most balanced choice for the weather here. I know it says 20* but I have seen ratings vary a lot on bags. Many that are rated at 20* will keep you alive but not comfortable at that temperature. On the other hand some 20* ratings are the actual temperature that the bag was designed for. Would a Zeppelin with 1 or 2 oz. overfill keep me warm into the teens?

My second question has to do with duck verses goose down. I am not concerned about a couple of ounces difference in weight but is there a difference in how much they compress?

Third approximately what is the highest temperature that a 20* Zeppelin can be used at comfortably? I am trying to figure out the temperature range of the quilt.

Lastly we get a lot of damp weather here and I am concerned about the down getting wet. Does the water treatment make a big difference? The quilt will not be directly exposed to water but dampness in the air. I was looking at synthetics first because of this but I would much rather have down. My trips are limited to only a couple nights for now because the kids are too young for more. I suspect that it will not be an issue as I am using a Kelty 20* duck down sleeping bag now without issue, but that is in a tent not on the bottom of a hammock. I can partially unzip the Kelty to create a foot box and use it as a top quilt for now. Later on I can get a Flight Jacket to compliment the Zeppelin.

In my searching I have been impressed by the quality of your work and the design/features of your quilts. I also would much rather spend my hard earned money with a hard working US company rather than on a product from China. I look forward to doing business with you.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    Thanks for your questions, I'll answer them in the order you presented them...

1) Our goal with given temp ratings, and that of most of the cottage vendors, is for comfort. While we strive to make sure you will be comfortable at a given rating there are always variables to consider. Your personal tolerance to cold, hydration, caloric intake, wind, humidity, etc all will play in your ultimate tolerance of the bottom end of a quilt. For the majority of people 2oz over stuff on a 20* should get you into the low to mid teens given all things equal.

2) Ultimately the 850 will compress slightly more than the 700, most people will not notice any difference in pack size between a 20* 700 fill or a 20* 850 fill quilt.

3) Upper limit again will be dependent on your personal tolerance. I can use a 20* up to 55-60* or so by venting it and not using a TQ. Missy Lou needs a UQ and TQ at those temperatures as she is a cold sleeper. It sure is nice to lay in a hammock with just a UQ on and no need for a TQ....

4) DWR down in our opinion sure does make a difference which is based on our observations during almost 18 months of use of DWR down. It will retain loft better in high humidity conditions than untreated down. We use it exclusively in all our product whether 700 or 850 fill.

We appreciate your decision to buy LOCAL regardless of whether it is UGQ or any of the other fine vendors here on HF. We all live, work, and play in the USA and keeping as many jobs and dollars here will help strengthen our country for the future generations.

Let us know if you have any additional questions....
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Edge and Noah 12
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    Thanks for answering my questions so quickly!

I have been doing more reading and have decided that I would like to have 2 quilts (one now and save up for the second). Usually the lows here are in the 15-20* range with cold spells here and there in the single digits. Only a couple times each winter it gets to 0 or bellow. I absolutely just love getting out in the cold.

My idea is to purchase a Zeppelin 20 (full length) as I asked about above with 2oz overstuff and later add a Zeppelin 40 in 3/4 length no overstuff. The Z20 will get me out in the hammock this winter and the Z40 will be for warmer weather. The two can be combined for those few times that it gets down around 0 or slightly below. This seems like it would make a modular system that I could use for most conditions. Is my logic right or would you suggest a different combination? These quilts are not cheap so I want to make sure that I buy the right one from the start.

I did some testing the last couple of nights comparing a synthetic 0* bag and a 20* down bag. The result is that I much prefer the feel and warmth of the down bag. It just has a different feeling that is kind of hard to describe. It sealed up my decision to go with a down UQ instead of synthetic.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Last edited by KenOutdoors; 01-09-2014 at 21:43.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by KenOutdoors View Post
    Thanks for answering my questions so quickly!

I have been doing more reading and have decided that I would like to have 2 quilts (one now and save up for the second). Usually the lows here are in the 15-20* range with cold spells here and there in the single digits. Only a couple times each winter it gets to 0 or bellow. I absolutely just love getting out in the cold.

My idea is to purchase a Zeppelin 20 (full length) as I asked about above with 2oz overstuff and later add a Zeppelin 40 in 3/4 length no overstuff. The Z20 will get me out in the hammock this winter and the Z40 will be for warmer weather. The two can be combined for those few times that it gets down around 0 or slightly below. This seems like it would make a modular system that I could use for most conditions. Is my logic right or would you suggest a different combination? These quilts are not cheap so I want to make sure that I buy the right one from the start.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Very workable solution but,,with a 20 degree quilt from UGO, you can also dress for colder weather while using the quilt also while stacking them. Lots of ways to use a UGO quilt. And their service is great to boot. What ever you do can't go wrong with any of our cottage makers of fine equipment on this forum.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Edge and Noah 12
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    Last Question

Would you consider giving the combo discount if I order two Zeppelin quilts (20 and 40) instead of a top/bottom combo? I can make due for now using down bags on top but I really need to get the bottom taken care of first. If all goes well I will get the matching pair of top quilts later after saving up some money.

Hammock
    DREAM HAMMOCK
    Tarp
    UGQ H11/12 WD11
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies w/ ET's
    Images
    I don't see why we couldn't as long as they are on one single order and meet all the terms of the combo offer.
    Happy Hangin'

Paul - Master Fabric Welder @ UGQ

>>>VISIT UGQ OUTDOOR HERE<<<

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Edge and Noah 12
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    I just placed an order for a 40* Zeppelin/Flight Jacket with overfill in Mocha. I figure with the lead time there will not be a long winter season left so I will have until next winter to get either a 0* or 20* Zeppelin. My gut is telling me that the 0* will be the way to go if there is no "hole" in between the two.

There are so many options and I have had to think and rethink the choices through repeatedly. I expect to make quite a few fishing trips this spring and summer and that is why I decided to go with the 40* set for now. Most of my cold weather outings this year would be considered car camping. For this weight is not a concern and I can stay warm enough for now. I just love getting out in the cold, making a fire, cooking, and eating like a king. Also ice fishing if the ice is thick. Fresh fish can't be beat when winter camping. In the future I do want to start hiking in the winter, that's where the 0* Zeppelin comes in.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC
    Tarp
    Edge and Noah 12
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    Webbing / Buckles
    I do have one more question about the flight jacket that I ordered. I am 6'1" which is the maximum size for a 78" quilt. Would I be better off with the next size up? I do prefer to have a little extra blanket instead of having things tight.

Thanks,
    Ken
    Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved. Acts 4:12

Send an email directly. If you post it here it could be missed. Nothing like direct communication, it's the best.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC Dbl 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    UGQ FJ 20*/Zep 0*
    Suspension
    Adjustable Web
    I'm 6'3' and they made me a custom 0* Zeppelin 83" long. It and my 20* Flight Jacket, also 83", are some of the best pieces of gear I own. Real quality made products...

• + New Posts