Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    What's a leg shelf?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by dakotaross View Post
    What's a leg shelf?
    I believe Adam calls it "anatomically contoured"
    If you look at the inside of a HG full UQ it looks like a recliner with a butt and back section and a raised leg section.
    Which I affectionately call the leg shelf.

This is the best pict I've got showing the contour. Note the leg area on the right side of the pict.
    The UQ is higher in the leg area vs the butt/back area.

Last edited by OutandBack; 11-29-2013 at 10:13.

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    OK, I recall now that I heard it called that when he first came out with it - forgot about that. Hasn't been an issue with my full-length one, but I could see it being an issue on the short depending on how you've got it setup. I was thinking of going to the short. Figure this won't be an issue as I like to use a down pillow and would setup the head end of the UQ underneath beginning just above my shoulders.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Hammock
    Grizzbridge/RR/DIY GE/Pares
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckle/strap
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Yah it's more operator error onmy part than the quilts fault.
    As a side / semi stomach sleeper I just have better luck with the 2D quilts.
    So you think side/semi stomach sleeping is a little more difficult in this type of UQ?

You're not alone Cinnamon. I've been eyeing up the incubator for a while, justifying the purchase to my wife. She made a $3k dud purchase today so i'm away! (Just waiting on HG to get back to me about international shipping.)

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kerryandjane View Post
    So you think side/semi stomach sleeping is a little more difficult in this type of UQ?

You're not alone Cinnamon. I've been eyeing up the incubator for a while, justifying the purchase to my wife. She made a $3k dud purchase today so i'm away! (Just waiting on HG to get back to me about international shipping.)
    For me it was YMMV.
    Think about it. When you lay on your side your body no longer follows the contour of an easy chair. You are more straight.
    This puts a down ward pressure on the leg shelf which can cause a gap between you and the butt/back section of the UQ.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Hmmm, interesting. I am a side sleeper (about 85% of the time) who switches positions often and I haven't noticed any issues with my full length Incubator.

Edit to add: Even on my side, my torso/hips are still wider and heavier than my legs. (I tend to sleep with one arm curled underneath my head, and one leg pulled in a little closer to my chest). My torso/hips still fit the wide contour section and the narrow contour section still conforms around my legs where ever they are in the lower portion. So I guess the way I perceive it, that anatomical contour isn't so much a recliner with different levels-higher or lower, but rather as if it has different widths that conform around the body. Wider in the torso/hips section and narrower in the leg section. When I am laying on my back, I am rather flat, probably a bit flatter then when I am on my side, in fact. Either way, side or back, it still works for me. YMMV.

Some additional thoughts:
    I know the butt contour does actually hang lower than the leg contour, so I'm not saying it does not, but rather just trying to describe how I conceptualize why it works for me even on my side.
    Last edited by RadicalHope; 11-29-2013 at 12:56.
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    HH Explorer/BIAS Weight Weenie
    Tarp
    HH Asym/HH Hex
    Insulation
    HHSS/0* Incubator
    Suspension
    HH stock/UCRs
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalHope View Post
    Hmmm, interesting. I am a side sleeper (about 85% of the time) who switches positions often and I haven't noticed any issues with my full length Incubator.

Edit to add: Even on my side, my torso/hips are still wider and heavier than my legs. (I tend to sleep with one arm curled underneath my head, and one leg pulled in a little closer to my chest). My torso/hips still fit the wide contour section and the narrow contour section still conforms around my legs where ever they are in the lower portion. So I guess the way I perceive it, that anatomical contour isn't so much a recliner with different levels-higher or lower, but rather as if it has different widths that conform around the body. Wider in the torso/hips section and narrower in the leg section. When I am laying on my back, I am rather flat, probably a bit flatter then when I am on my side, in fact. Either way, side or back, it still works for me. YMMV.
    +1 on this. I'm 6'1" and weigh 165-170 (varies with time of year). I've been using my Incubator for a month now & have zero issues as a side sleeper.
    Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect.
    Chief Seattle

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by RadicalHope View Post

Some additional thoughts:
    I know the butt contour does actually hang lower than the leg contour, so I'm not saying it does not, but rather just trying to describe how I conceptualize why it works for me even on my side.
    Well there's a simple test.
    Setup hammock and UQ. Lay on you back adjust UQ for proper position.
    Roll on to your left side and with your right arm reach between the hammock and UQ and feel if there's a gap.

I'd be interested in your test results.

Hammock
    Clark TX-250 with weathershield
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex Tarp
    Insulation
    I love HammockGear
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by OutandBack View Post
    Well there's a simple test.
    Setup hammock and UQ. Lay on you back adjust UQ for proper position.
    Roll on to your left side and with your right arm reach between the hammock and UQ and feel if there's a gap.

I'd be interested in your test results.
    I will do this. Better yet, I will have my husband check for the gap, so that I'm not moving around and changing my position while reaching to check (I have relatively short arms ). Not sure when I will get a chance though. The hubby is off on a solo trip right now and he borrowed my Incubator!
    With a radical sense of hope, I strive for the seemingly impossible.

Hammock
    diy or Dream
    Tarp
    MacCat delx
    Insulation
    diy & HG
    Suspension
    whoopies & Dutch
    Good ideas and thoughts everyone. Guess i will find out for my self how difficult it may / may not be to fit since I've finally placed an order for my very own incubator.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast