Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs

Yukon Hammock fabric?

I have a Yukon hammock I picked up on Woot. Does anyone know what type and weight of fabric this is? I think it is "parachute nylon," but I'm not sure what that means. Is it nylon taffeta? What weight?

This hammock has sold me on the idea of a simple, single layer netless hammock for the winter, but it is pretty floppy and stretchy. I am thinking about either a Simply Light Designs Streamliner or a Dream Hammocks Freebird. SLD has a 1.6 and a 1.9 nylon ripstop, while Dream Hammocks has a 1.8 nylon taffeta, a 1.8 polyester taffeta and a 1.9 nylon ripstop. I am 5'11", #175. I don't have enough experience with fabrics to decide between them. My other hammock is a 1.1 double layer WBBB that I really like, but I was looking for something lighter and easier for winter. I appreciate any input you might be able to give. Happy Thanksgiving!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    UGQ
    Insulation
    UGQ

Re: Yukon Hammock fabric?

I haven't seen any of the Yukon hammocks in person, but the "parachute nylon" used in most of these is a Nylon Trilobal Taffeta approx 2.25oz/yd.

Dream Hammock has 4 or 5 colors of this fabric in stock. Most of them are 60ish wide and can be seen on our fabric page.

Many of these cheaper "parachute nylon" hammocks start out at a great price, but then you have to add a proper suspension, straps, toggles, ridge line, ridge line organizer & double ended stuff sack.

At $75 for your choice of 10ft or 11ft lengths, the FreeBird hammock is actually the best deal out there right now.
    Best of all, it's custom made with your choice of fabric and whatever size works for you.

Hammock
    Blackbird 1.7 double
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    UGQs ZEPPELIN
    Suspension
    Dutch Clips
    Images
    The Yukon fabric feels similar to my Grand Trunk Double Parachute fabric.
    I am still 18 but with 52 years of experience !

Hammock
    Dutchware 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix 20
    Suspension
    Dutch Cinch Bugs
    Quote Originally Posted by PapaSmurf View Post
    I haven't seen any of the Yukon hammocks in person, but the "parachute nylon" used in most of these is a Nylon Trilobal Taffeta approx 2.25oz/yd.

Dream Hammock has 4 or 5 colors of this fabric in stock. Most of them are 60ish wide and can be seen on our fabric page.

Many of these cheaper "parachute nylon" hammocks start out at a great price, but then you have to add a proper suspension, straps, toggles, ridge line, ridge line organizer & double ended stuff sack.

At $75 for your choice of 10ft or 11ft lengths, the FreeBird hammock is actually the best deal out there right now.
    Best of all, it's custom made with your choice of fabric and whatever size works for you.
    Thanks for the info. I agree with you about all of the extras you include. It is a pretty sweet deal. I rigged the Yukon with my old set of WBBB buckles and straps. There really isn't anything wrong with it, I just think there is a lot of floppy material on the sides and a bunch of stretch. I hung last month next to my wife and ended up with my hammock almost beneath her. I don't think it was the WBBB straps stretching, I think it is the hammock body. Also, when I am in it, it is almost tough to get out sometimes because I am so far down in the middle.

I am looking for something with a lay similar to my 1.1 double WBBB, but in a single layer. Do you think your 1.8 poly taffeta would be the ticket? On your calculator, it comes to about 17 oz with whoopie suspension and about 20 with straps and buckles. My Yukon is about 24 oz with straps and buckles, so it is an improvement either way. I just don't want to order a hammock that is basically the same as the one I have. I am open to suggestions. Thanks.

• + New Posts