Tarp
    Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Images

Question Newcomer - Questions about HH & basic beginner questions

Alright guys, I have just joined the HF today and have been looking around the forums for a few hours. I've come to the conclusion that I more than likely am going to get a HH, which one not exactly sure, but considering the "Explorer Deluxe Asym".

Im 6'1 and 140lbs so not big but a little tall.

Curious, do I get the zip or the classic?

- Also my plans are to use it for camping and maybe some hiking, all in the North GA mountains (the Blue Ridge area) also when kayaking.

Let's say I do end up purchasing a HH, let's say the "Explorer Deluxe Asym" and I do not get the Super Shelter, which I still am not 100% sure exactly what all it is for. Anyway, say I buy that one, what besides what comes in the mail will I need? Extra Rope? Paracord? Carabiners?
    I've heard of these snakeskins? From what i've gathered those are the covers that go over the ropes and paracord?

Also isn't HH known for quick and easy set-up?

I've seen alot of these "Warbonnet" hammocks, seems as if HH and WB are the two hammocks that are most preffered.

Please give me a little insight, do forgive me for my mulititude of questions, I am very new to this all. Please bare with me

Hammock
    AHE 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    AHE Shangi La
    Insulation
    KAQ Prototype
    Suspension
    AHE Whoopie Slings
    Welcome to the forums Lee.

The HH's are very popular due to the all in one purchase. You get the basic gear to get up off the ground all in one package. The zip option is probably more popular since being offered than the bottom entry. Some folks still like the BE but overall I would say that zip hammocks are more popular and have some convince aspects that the BE does not offer. Like leaving a water bottle laying on the ground and wanting a drink in the middle of the night...just reach out or practice your Olympic gymnastics routine. Or sitting in your hammock chatting with a friend...zip hammocks are just more comfortable for this in my opinion.

The Super shelter is HH's fix for convection. A hammock is very sensitive to air movement cooling the occupant. Great in really hot weather...above 70 for most folks...but in any cooler temps and or with a breeze added you will get chilled easily. Most folks though prefer an under quilt to insulate the under side of the hammock. More warmth, easier to set up and control temperature and most folks just find under quilts cool.

To get up off the ground you won't NEED anything else than what comes in the bag from HH. But there are some things that will make everything in getting started better. First the HH Tarps are stock set up to hang from the suspension on the hammock...this sucks because when you get into the hammock your weight changes the angel the hammocks suspension hangs at...changing the pitch of the tarp...there is no way to keep the tarp super tight when set up this way. Save yourself some headache and get a separate ridge line to hang the tarp on. Second issue with the tarps is that they are small and while some folks will be happy with them most folks like more room and better storm coverage of their gear....consider a different tarp (this is why most hammock companies don't include a tarp as a kit deal but let you pick the gear best suited to your needs.

Next up is that suspension (like you mentioned) it's not the fastest system out there. Many folks will end up replacing it....though it does work and you don't NEED anything else to get up off the ground.

Warbonnet is one of the other very popular hammock companies but you will find folks on both sides of the fence with either company. One factor that may sway some is that Warbonnet is a US company with all of their gear made in the US...not something that can be said about HH...like I said some folks care some don't but it's out there for you to consider.

Good luck in your search and welcome to a more elevated perspective.
    Arrowhead Equipment -- For all your hammock camping and backpacking gear
    Arrowhead-Equipment.com Visit AHE on Facebook Follow us on Twitter Check out pictures on Instagram

Hope I can help

I have owned a HH explorer deluxe and now own a WBBB. I would go for the zip vs the bottom entry as being tall, it is a pain to me to stoop down and to get into the hammock with a bottom entry. I'm 6'4 and I suspect that at 6'1 you would feel the same.

With the HH kit you should not need anything extra other than what comes in the kit, in the strictest sense of the term, although the snake skins make setting up / taking down a lot easier than using the included bag. One other thing that you may want to look at getting, but will not be a necessity would be longer tree straps. The stock straps that come with the HH won't work on larger trees as they are too short. Get you hammock first and you will see what I mean. You can then pick up an extra set of straps if you think you will need them where you usually backpack.

As far as the super shelter, that it to keep your bottom warm. If you do not have any insulation on the bottom of a hammock, you lose a lot of heat that way. A sleeping bag in a hammock compresses on the bottom so you do not get the insulation value, which is why a lot of folks go with the under quilt / top quilt route. The SS takes the place of the UQ. If you plan on using you hammock below 60 degrees you will almost certainly have to have some type of under insulation.

My personal preference is for my blackbird, which warbonnet has on sale today, but if you went that route, you would have to buy a tarp separately, which I preferred a much larger tarp than what came stock with the HH anyway.

Welcome to the hammocking world.

HH allows you to swap out the included tarp (rainfly). I wish I would have done that. Consider swapping for the Hex Rainfly, click on the 'customize' button to have a look at the options. I would get the zippered model

Also

I like the strap suspension on the WBBB much better than tying knots in the HH suspension.

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    Welcome. I have a HH and the super shelter. Since you are just getting in to this and trying to figure it out, I'd suggest you go with both. If you order from hennessy direct you can order the larger Hex tarp for a couple dollars more and it comes with it's own ridgeline (select build your own) and you can get longer straps (they wrap around the tree - larger trees require longer straps) and the free snake skins too. Because of your height you might look at the Explorer deluxe, which is a little longer (and heavier). As others have said, you get everything you need when you buy from hennessy. If you go with others, you'll have to piece it together. I suggest you start out simple. As you read, you'll see that the HH + SS will be good down to about 0 degrees C and that should be enough for what you're doing initally. There are several good videos on the hennessy website and you'll see the Shug videos referenced on this site which give some other good advice.

There are several ways to hang your hammock and the knots recommended by hennessy work but take time. I went with a "speed" system using a Carabiner and 2 rappel rings. I can get it setup in minutes and I've been very happy with the setup. Search YouTube for "hennessy hammock ultra fast setup" for a quick description.

I have the bottom entry and love it but I understand the popularity of the zip model. I usually only sleep in my hammock and in the south there are usually enough mosquitoes and flies that I always want the bug net and in the winter the bug net adds a little more warmth.

Good luck and expect a lot more advice...
    Thanks,

Mr. G

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." (St. Augustine)

Hammock
    HH Expedition Zip
    Tarp
    Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    Thermarest
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have a HH with the zip entry. I like it a lot but I have never used the classic.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    I highly recommend going with a zip model. The stock Hennessey suspension is not very user friendly when it comes to making adjustments.

I have a Hyperlite zip model for sale in the for sale forum. I also live in North Ga so if you feel like making the trip down to the Helen area I'd be happy to let you try it out. No sales pitches or obligations to buy. But it'll let you put your hands on a Hennessey and see what you think. Mine has cinch buckle suspension which is the simplest suspension method out there.

I also have lots of quilts and tarps you can browse so you'd get a chance to put your hands on a lot of different gear to help you figure what to get when you're ready to buy the rest.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by mgreg.scout View Post
    There are several ways to hang your hammock and the knots recommended by hennessy work but take time. I went with a "speed" system using a Carabiner and 2 rappel rings. I can get it setup in minutes and I've been very happy with the setup. Search YouTube for "hennessy hammock ultra fast setup" for a quick description.

If you're using the stock rope with that method you need to keep a close eye on it. The rap rings will eventually wear into the rope and damage it. The best way to do that method is to attach the rap rings to the rope near the hammock and use long webbing through the rings to adjust.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pgibson View Post
    Welcome to the forums Lee.

The HH's are very popular due to the all in one purchase. You get the basic gear to get up off the ground all in one package. The zip option is probably more popular since being offered than the bottom entry. Some folks still like the BE but overall I would say that zip hammocks are more popular and have some convince aspects that the BE does not offer. Like leaving a water bottle laying on the ground and wanting a drink in the middle of the night...just reach out or practice your Olympic gymnastics routine. Or sitting in your hammock chatting with a friend...zip hammocks are just more comfortable for this in my opinion.

The Super shelter is HH's fix for convection. A hammock is very sensitive to air movement cooling the occupant. Great in really hot weather...above 70 for most folks...but in any cooler temps and or with a breeze added you will get chilled easily. Most folks though prefer an under quilt to insulate the under side of the hammock. More warmth, easier to set up and control temperature and most folks just find under quilts cool.

To get up off the ground you won't NEED anything else than what comes in the bag from HH. But there are some things that will make everything in getting started better. First the HH Tarps are stock set up to hang from the suspension on the hammock...this sucks because when you get into the hammock your weight changes the angel the hammocks suspension hangs at...changing the pitch of the tarp...there is no way to keep the tarp super tight when set up this way. Save yourself some headache and get a separate ridge line to hang the tarp on. Second issue with the tarps is that they are small and while some folks will be happy with them most folks like more room and better storm coverage of their gear....consider a different tarp (this is why most hammock companies don't include a tarp as a kit deal but let you pick the gear best suited to your needs.

Next up is that suspension (like you mentioned) it's not the fastest system out there. Many folks will end up replacing it....though it does work and you don't NEED anything else to get up off the ground.

Warbonnet is one of the other very popular hammock companies but you will find folks on both sides of the fence with either company. One factor that may sway some is that Warbonnet is a US company with all of their gear made in the US...not something that can be said about HH...like I said some folks care some don't but it's out there for you to consider.

Good luck in your search and welcome to a more elevated perspective.

Alright, that confirms my decision on getting the zipper instead of the BE. As far as getting a 2nd ridge line for the tarp, any type of rope/cord in particular you reccomend?
    You say most people will replace the suspension system, is this the basic ropes/cords that come with your HH? And what type of suspension do you reccomend?
    Also, I saw in the "for sale" section of the forums, someone had a HH for sale with a few extra things, one being what looked like 2 poles holding up his tarp which extended about 1-3 feet out past his hammock giving more dry covered room to work with, is that the SuperShelter? or is that an aftermarket item? I will link the post so you can see what im talking about if you don't already know from the description.

Let me say that I really appreciate your help and guidence Thank you!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast