HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Images
    Question to everyone that reads this, and/or has replied. Should I purchase this used HH from a fellow HF member ?

LINK: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83786

Comes with everything I need, and more, need some feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by oldpappy View Post
    First, I'm 5'9" 160lbs and I have used the bottom entry HH UL backpacker for 5 years. I like it a lot. I think that the "Explorer Deluxe Asym" would be the right size for you.
    You don't 'need' to add anything except a wide pad (at least 28" wide - I use Gossamer Gear 3/8" wide pad) and a sleeping bag. I have the stock HH tarp and it works, but the bigger tarp would be nice.
    Learn the knot (it's easy) then after a couple trips decide what if any options you would like - this is to limit dependence on extra hardware.
    They didn't have the Zipper option when I got mine - I like the simplicity of the bottom entry (and no zipper to stick/break). With the bottom entry the bugnet is always on.
    The only time I had a negative thought about the bottom entry model was while camping in Florida near the Everglades. I woke up in the mornings thinking 'what if an alligator or snake is below me'.
    Snake skins - I keep my hammock in the snakeskins and the tarp in a fishnet stuff sack. This allows air to he tarp, I can put the tarp up 1st and the hammock is out of the way in the skins. Some folks stuff their hammock and use the snakeskins on their tarp to allow easier deploying in windy condition. Somefolks keep their hammock and tarp in the skins - whatever option you choose is right for you.
    P.S. Used HHs are advertised on this site all the time or you can post your own 'wanted to buy' add.
    It's winter now, so why not make your own?
    You being over 6', you will need 4 yards of 54" or 60" wide nylon ripstop from Wal-Mart (dollar bin) and some soft cord. This video shows how I do it (no sewing -frayed edges are fine with me.), but there are other ways.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJlEQpcbM1I
    Search HF and youtube for videos on DIY bugnets and tarps.
    Thank you very much

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    HH supershelter
    Quote Originally Posted by Leebums View Post
    Question to everyone that reads this, and/or has replied. Should I purchase this used HH from a fellow HF member ?

LINK: https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=83786

Comes with everything I need, and more, need some feedback.

Thank you very much
    Compare that price to the cost of the same system at the hennessy website. There are a lot of specials right now, like hennessy includes free snake skins with the hammock. Go with the better price.
    Thanks,

Mr. G

"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering." (St. Augustine)

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe+2QZQ Mod #4
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/ 2QZQ OFS
    Insulation
    OWL 20* TQ/UQ's
    Suspension
    Whoopies+Biner
    I don't know that anyone will suggest to you to buy new or used from a forum member...its all kinda of up to you more than anything else.

Another thought is to check out an REI if they have a store near you. I've not shopped REI, but I've heard a lot of good about their return policy. That way if you find that you don't like the hammock, it's too small or not right in some fashion, there's no issue with returning it.

Beyond that, I agree with a lot of the advice you've been given so far too.

If you want to keep the costs down, start with the zip side model...most folks prefer that as it makes retrieving items from outside the hammock or adjusting an underquilt much easier.

Definitely go with a larger, hex fly. The coverage is much better. The downside is the weight factor...if weight is a major concern for you, then you might be better off going with other choices overall.

Put the tarp on a seperate ridgeline. What cordage you choose isn't that big of a deal, really. Just avoid paracord...it stretches.

The supershelter works great, especially if you use it with a space blanket (mylar) as suggested by Hennessy. I've used mine in conjunction with an ICW military sleeping bag down to 18deg, and probably could have gone colder. Some folks have not had the same success...so that's one factor to consider. Underquilts are great...I have one myself. But...they're expensive (albeit worth the money), so it's up to you where you want to invest your funds. Either will work well most of the time.

Try the stock suspension out for now...then make changes as you choose.

One last thought I'm surprised no one has suggested yet. Look in the "outings" area of this forum to see if there's a hang scheduled anywhere near you. Come on out to a hang, and folks LOVE to show off their gear...and it can go a long way towards reducing your learning curve with hammock camping!

Hammock
    HH Explorer Deluxe
    Tarp
    Hex Rainfly
    Insulation
    HH SuperShelter
    Suspension
    Stock HH
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    I don't know that anyone will suggest to you to buy new or used from a forum member...its all kinda of up to you more than anything else.

Another thought is to check out an REI if they have a store near you. I've not shopped REI, but I've heard a lot of good about their return policy. That way if you find that you don't like the hammock, it's too small or not right in some fashion, there's no issue with returning it.

Beyond that, I agree with a lot of the advice you've been given so far too.

If you want to keep the costs down, start with the zip side model...most folks prefer that as it makes retrieving items from outside the hammock or adjusting an underquilt much easier.

Definitely go with a larger, hex fly. The coverage is much better. The downside is the weight factor...if weight is a major concern for you, then you might be better off going with other choices overall.

Put the tarp on a seperate ridgeline. What cordage you choose isn't that big of a deal, really. Just avoid paracord...it stretches.

The supershelter works great, especially if you use it with a space blanket (mylar) as suggested by Hennessy. I've used mine in conjunction with an ICW military sleeping bag down to 18deg, and probably could have gone colder. Some folks have not had the same success...so that's one factor to consider. Underquilts are great...I have one myself. But...they're expensive (albeit worth the money), so it's up to you where you want to invest your funds. Either will work well most of the time.

Try the stock suspension out for now...then make changes as you choose.

One last thought I'm surprised no one has suggested yet. Look in the "outings" area of this forum to see if there's a hang scheduled anywhere near you. Come on out to a hang, and folks LOVE to show off their gear...and it can go a long way towards reducing your learning curve with hammock camping!
    Awesome, would love to go hang with some experianced people. Thanks for the helpful insight.

Hammock
    HH Expedition zip
    Tarp
    Old Man Winter
    Insulation
    Incubator 20
    Suspension
    Atlas Straps
    Gentlemen, thank you to Leebums for the question and to everyone who offered comments. I recently purchased the HH Expedition asym zip and received a free Cub with snake skins, so this thread is timely. After several days of research I ordered the Wilderness Logics "Old Man Winter" with the 144" ridge line. I am now backyard camping to get up to speed before I head down for a weekend on the Ozark Highlands Trail in January. Thanks again. See you on the trail!

Hammock
    11’ Dogger hammock
    Tarp
    SLD winter haven
    Insulation
    HG incubator 0*
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    I guess I'm am alone on this but I have both models and I like the bottom entry better. I also have the super shelter and over cover so when I use the over cover I never have to mess with it when I'm getting in and out of the hammock unlike the side zip but they both have advantages and disadvantages.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123