Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 11 to 18 of 18
  1. #11
    canoebie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Edwardsburg, MI
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Super Ogee
    Insulation
    DIY IX UQ, Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings, dc
    Posts
    2,693
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Redoleary,
    the only good reason to tape an edge is if it is curved - which makes it hard to do a rolled hem. I prefer to stitch tape to one side instead of rolling the tape inside the fabric because it does not catch much water and dries faster. I use polyester grossgrain ribbon because it does not stretch, so the curved hem can act as a catenary, pulling sag out of the tarp. To conceal the raw edge under the tape, first stitch 5/8" grossgrain to the raw edge with the raw edge covering all but 1/4" of the ribbon. Stitch another row along the inside edge of the ribbon. Then turn the ribbon over to the other side of the tarp and stitch it down. Simple.
    I recently completed my first DIY tarp, and my seamstress mostus wifey told me to do it exactly this way. It turned out very nice. A great finished edge.
    Revolution is about the need to re-evolve political, economic and social justice and power back into the hands of the people, preferably through legislation and policies that make human sense. That's what revolution is about. Revolution is not about shootouts.

    Bobby Seale


    http://www.riverjourneys.org

  2. #12
    Redoleary's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Pennfield Twp, MI
    Hammock
    DIY gathered end
    Tarp
    Hinterland gear
    Insulation
    down bag
    Suspension
    strap & E.T.'s
    Posts
    3,416
    Images
    70
    Thanks for the information and the clarification.

  3. #13
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Redoleary,
    the only good reason to tape an edge is if it is curved - which makes it hard to do a rolled hem. I prefer to stitch tape to one side instead of rolling the tape inside the fabric because it does not catch much water and dries faster. I use polyester grossgrain ribbon because it does not stretch, so the curved hem can act as a catenary, pulling sag out of the tarp. To conceal the raw edge under the tape, first stitch 5/8" grossgrain to the raw edge with the raw edge covering all but 1/4" of the ribbon. Stitch another row along the inside edge of the ribbon. Then turn the ribbon over to the other side of the tarp and stitch it down. Simple.
    so the ribbon is folded and on both sides of the fabric? isn't this basically the same as an edge binding?

  4. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    142
    [[so the ribbon is folded and on both sides of the fabric? isn't this basically the same as an edge binding? ]]

    No. The ribbon is not folded. It lies flat on one side of the fabric. The raw edge of the fabric is folded under itself and is therefore concealed under the ribbon.

  5. #15
    ok, i see. i misunderstood

  6. #16
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    6,438
    Images
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    [[

    No. The ribbon is not folded. It lies flat on one side of the fabric. The raw edge of the fabric is folded under itself and is therefore concealed under the ribbon.
    So Spock , if I have it right, you sew the ribbon to the catcut. Then fold the raw edge of the tarp so it is between the sil and the ribbon and sew again. What size ribbon do you use?
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

  7. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    142
    Dutch,
    You got it. I use either 3/8 or 5/8, depending on the size of the tarp. But 5/8 is just generally easier to work with. I also use 5/8 grossgrain for the pull-out loops. It hasn't failed even with high use.

  8. #18
    Dutch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Reinholds, PA
    Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Posts
    6,438
    Images
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Spock View Post
    Dutch,
    You got it. I use either 3/8 or 5/8, depending on the size of the tarp. But 5/8 is just generally easier to work with. I also use 5/8 grossgrain for the pull-out loops. It hasn't failed even with high use.
    Spock this is a great idea. I understand the how this would heelp with drying. If the gg is folded it would act as a gutter. You still get the strength and the even tension of the gg and I think it would be easier to sew and lighter. I always have a tought time hitting both sides of the gg. If I were to makae a tarp I would definately try this. I need another tarp like I need a hole...

    Even if ou tieout did start to wear you can easily replace it.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003


    http://dutchwaregear.com

    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)

Similar Threads

  1. Edge tarp versus Tadpole tarp.
    By DeRozea in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-05-2014, 21:12
  2. Tarp binding
    By lorriern in forum Weather Protection
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 09-09-2013, 20:51
  3. Edge tarp
    By callihan_44 in forum Warbonnet Hammocks
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-29-2013, 14:53
  4. Need source of tarp binding
    By avalonmorn in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 22:18
  5. DIY Tarp Ridgeline Seam Binding Question
    By jdm80 in forum Do-It-Yourself (DIY)
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2010, 11:32

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •