Hammock
    Hennessy UL Backpacker Asym
    Tarp
    MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    HH Supershelter
    Suspension
    MSH,Whoopie slings
    Seriously, a buddy of mine just bought a hammock and knowing nothing about it, found this forum within five minutes. Hard to see how the author of this review didn't find this forum the same way. So, the only explanation I can think of is that these manufacturers paid for the review. But, I guess if you are in the market for a hammock and you were taking advice from this review, you probably won't be sad to have a double nest. Anyone more serious about it would probably not take this review as advice.
    Keep close to Nature's heart... and break clear away, once in awhile, and climb a mountain or spend a week in the woods. Wash your spirit clean.
    - John Muir

Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side
    Tarp
    DIY Cat Cut Hex
    Insulation
    Phoenix and Nest
    Suspension
    cinch buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    It hurt looking at the picture of him laying straight down the middle...
    That picture is worth a thousand words. Told me instantly about the reviewers level of expertise.
    Knotty
    "Don't speak unless it improves the silence." -proverb
    DIY Gathered End Hammock
    DIY Stretch-Side Hammock
    Stretch-Side "Knotty Mod"
    DIY Bugnet

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiGuy View Post
    Clearly a review done by folks who know little or nothing about our world.

Well, 'our world' here at hammock forum is not really the place for 'balanced' views on hammocks and tents, so it makes sense that a reviewer for the 'mass market' wouldn't sound like somebody here. Face it: there aren't any 'unhappy hammock campers' here. It's strictly 'preaching to the choir' when we fire up our keyboards.

Quote Originally Posted by SemperFiGuy View Post
    Frustrating to read their conclusions when it is abundantly clear that they have little or no practical trail experience in a hammock.
    The reviewer(s) said that they used the hammocks many times over a 6-month period, travelling in Latin America.

I read the review and thought that it was a pretty accurate representation of how the average person would react to that set of hammocks. 'That set' being: readily available, cheap hammocks which typically don't come with the equipment needed to use them in real conditions.

For me, it would have been more interesting (but no more valid) if they had instead reviewed other readily available hammocks like Hennessey, Clark, and Exped which are higher quality, more complete solutions at a much higher price.

The 'cottage vendor' and DIY thing is lots of fun -assembling your own 'unique' setup for hammocking, waiting while somebody sews it for you, etc.
    In the tent world, it's ordering a Stephenson Warmlite vs buying 'off the rack' at REI. Not for everybody, not for the 'gotta have it now, can't think' crowd.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by iRokk View Post
    It hurt looking at the picture of him laying straight down the middle...
    I can't find a picture of somebody lying diagonally in an ENO Single hammock. (9.5 ft x 4.5 ft ).
    If you can find one, it would be a great comparison.

Hammock
    TW Green hornet 3 layer
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah 12
    Insulation
    CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Webbing + rings
    Images
    I personnally have the 10 oz Byer Traveller lite hammock and it's great for my summer setup. As mentionned, as soon as I saw the guy laying straight down the hammock, I didn't take the rest of the review very seriously.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 DBL, ThunderBird 1.9 DBL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly & Sock
    Insulation
    HG Incubator/Burro
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Irony...
    I just sent Outdoor Gear Lab an email a few days ago, and humbly informed them that there are a number of American-made hammocks out there. I then respectfully suggested that they should consider these models if they are perform another review.

I do agree that they may be only reviewing hammocks that are readily available at common retailers, but then what about Hennessy?

In any case, I have not received a response.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuthalion View Post
    Irony...
    I just sent Outdoor Gear Lab an email a few days ago, and humbly informed them that there are a number of American-made hammocks out there. I then respectfully suggested that they should consider these models if they are perform another review.

I do agree that they may be only reviewing hammocks that are readily available at common retailers, but then what about Hennessy?

In any case, I have not received a response.
    Is Hennessey American-made?

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    Quote Originally Posted by UpMySleeves View Post
    As mentionned, as soon as I saw the guy laying straight down the hammock, I didn't take the rest of the review very seriously.
    I understand, but a lot of people find the 'pushing out the hammock sides with your feet and head' position - the essence of the famous 'diagonal lay' - to be unnatural and uncomfortable. I did, when I tried it.
    And, it's much worse the shorter the hammock.
    Most beginners 'without instruction' go directly to the 'straight' position.
    The 'straight' position is actually more comfortable for me - for about 5 minutes.

But, that's another topic entirely: 'Why gathered end hammocks aren't for everybody'.

Hammock
    Exped Ergo
    Tarp
    Exped Combi
    Insulation
    Sleeping bag+pad
    Suspension
    Eyelet line+ biner
    For folks who haven't seen many pictures of the ENO Single hammock in use (the one where the reviewer/model was criticized for not lying diagonally), here are a few:

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite, BMBH UL
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    Images
    i just did a cursory look at the site. The items reviewed are linked through to a buying website. Maybe Google powered? My guess is that they get a kickback for anyone that clicks through their site to purchase one of the "recommended" products. A little biased, but this is what a ton of websites and blogs do to make $$.
    Demeter's Video Channel

Demeter's Blog

"What is a weed? A plant who's virtues have not yet been discovered" ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast