Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings

Trip Report Art Loeb Trail

This is my latest trip report, hope it helps anyone considering a trip on the Art Loeb Trail.

We started Saturday afternoon at the Daniel Boone Scout Camp, the north side of the trail. We used a shuttle service from Pura Vida adventures. Looking Glass Outfitters no longer does shuttles and refers all business to this company. We were shuttled by a guy named Joe who owns and runs the company in a fairly nice and comfortable minivan. He will take up to 6 people at a time and charges $125 split between however many are going. He was friendly and prompt and would recommend him, although I thought the price was a little high. His office is in Pisgah Forrest, just down the road from the Davidson River Campground, the other end of the Art Loeb. The shuttle took about an hour and a half to complete, it would have been quicker but we were stuck behind some Floridians until we crossed the parkway.

Four of us got started on the trail at 4:30 pm. I am a fairly experienced backpacker and make several trips a year. One of the guys I usually go with was with me and ran a 5k that morning which was the reason for the late start. One other guy had not been backpacking in 8 years but had spent some serious money on his gear. One other is also fairly experienced but a bit unconventional and was only with us for one night.

The first leg of the hike is all uphill gaining a little over 2 thousand feet in elevation topping out about 5,000ft. We got to deep gap at around 8:00 after a long and pretty tiring uphill hike. We made camp and dinner as the sun set. 3 of us use Claytor Jungle Hammocks one was in what looked like a skeeter beater pro. It was a warm weekend almost 80 when we started but cooler at elevation and as the sun went down. Deep gap was a great place to camp, plenty of places to hang or set up a tent and water was about a quarter mile away. The guy in the skeeter beater started the night dressed warmly but with no sleeping bag, tarp, pad, or underquilt. He used a larger camp towel for insulation. I was dumbfounded by it and I know he got cold b/c about midnight he got up and put up his tarp but slept through the night without a complaint. It was warm, but not that warm and the wind did blow at times.

The next morning we got up and hiked up Cold Mountain without packs. It was a little over a mile hike up and gained another thousand feet in elevation. The views were great and the hike wasn't too bad. We got back to camp and rested our feet in our hammocks ate lunch and then headed south on the Art Loeb. We didn't break camp and leave until 2. We hike south along a ridge line through what is called the Narrows. The trail was easy to follow but it was narrow. We passed some great views along the way and enjoyed the breeze on the ridge line. We arrived at Shining Rock around 430. In the wilderness area the trail is not blazed and at shining rock it seems like 5 different trails converge, none of which are marked. We made our best guess but ended up on the wrong trail but it went to the same place as the Art Loeb, Ivestor Gap. We made it to Ivestor in a little over an hour.

Ivestor gap is one of my favorite places I have ever camped. It is gorgeous with some of the best views in the blue ridge mountains. Camp sites are in a small grove of pine trees near the top of a mountain. Plenty of great places to hang and a couple places to cook as well. We took in a great sunset and then went to bed. The wind that night was vicious and seemed to blow over 50mph but that is just a guess. The temp that night inside my hammock read as low as 47 and as high as 55 but the wind made it seem colder. I use a wal mart ccf pad with a 30 degree mummy down marmot arroyo bag that is supposed to be wind proof. I didn't feel the wind at all and was a little too warm and slept only in my boxers.

The next morning we set out at 830 down to 3 hikers for the rest of the trail. Our fourth didn't take Monday and Tuesday off and had to go. From Ivester we hiked across several Southern Appalachian Balds including Tennent Mt. and Black Balsam knob, both over 6 thousand feet. Gorgeous and rare 360 views. We could see graveyard fields from the top of Black Balsam as well as cold mountain, looking glass rock, and countless other peaks. The wind on top of the balds was very storong and enough to knock you off the trail with your pack on, we also had to take our hats off. We took a spur trail off of Black Balsam and hiked down to get water at a parking area. It reaches a gravel road and then you turn right away from the parking lot and bathroom until you reach a pvc pipe coming out of the side of the mountain with water rushing out. We filled up and were told that the spring did not need to be filtered so we drank it straight from the pipe and it was delicious water and no one got sick.

From Black Balsam the trail descend a bit and crosses road 218. From there it goes into a dark pine forrest that would be great for hanging. It then descends sharply onto the parkway. I would not want to hike up this part of the trail, going down was hard enough. It is just steep switchback that never seems to end. We continued hiking, the trail seemed to just go up to the top of a mountain and then down to a valley and then repeated pretty much until the end. We passed trough the second Deep Gap which had a nice shelter and water as well as places to hang. We made camp between glouster gap and low gap in a small camp site. Our elevation was much lower around 3800 and we had leaves on the trees and green under brush. We made camp around 7 and it was a full day of hiking. Temps at night dipped into the low 50's.

We were back on the trail at 8 the next morning and made it to butter gap around 1030. This section of trail is well marked and blazed but we encountered some confusing blazes at butter gap and ended up on a rock climbers trail that did take us to some pretty cool cliff faces but it was a detour we didn't need on our last day on the trail. We got back on the trail after about a 40 minute detour and continued on. The trail was similar to the day before after we crossed the parkway. Not as many views and more time under a canopy going up and down. Although we did have much more down than up. The views we did get usually looked out towards looking glass rock or into the valley from which we came or were going. We got off the trail after another long day at 515 at the Davidson River Campground.

The Art Loeb is a great trail and filled with changing scenery, great views and challenging hiking. I would recommend it to anyone but take your time. Our last 2 days were pretty tough and long. This trip took place from Saturday afternoon at 4:30 on 4/25/09 and ended at 5:15 Tuesday evening on 4/28/09. The trail is about 32 miles long but with water detours and the hike up and down cold mountain you can expect about 36 or more miles when its all said and done. If you are looking to do just a section, visit shining rock to Black Balsam. Great trip and hope this helps anyone else planning a trip to the area.

Pura Vida Website http://www.pvadventures.com/

nice trip report. I have been wanting to do this trail for a while.
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Here are a few pictures from the trip

at least I thought I uploaded them, I will have to get to it later.

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images

Awesome report

I've wanted to hear from someone hanging on this trail. So no problems on the balds finding spots to hang?? I've heard finding water will be tougher than finding trees on the balds. Would you agree? I'm planning on doing this trail in July. Thanks a bunch for posting this report. I'll use it in my planning. Can't wait to see some pics!

Hammock
    Claytor Jungle
    Don't you hate those Florida drivers? I have to deal with them every day!

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    We hiked to Cold Mtn from Shining Rock and from the DBoone BSA camp. Plenty of trees along both routes. It was during a drought, two years ago, and the springs were dried up. There is enough water, normally, but you have to take it when you come across it.

Great report! Someday, I would like to do the same route that you took.
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

Hammock
    Dutch Half Zip
    Tarp
    HG Cuben w/ doors
    Insulation
    HG 40degree quilts
    Suspension
    whoppie slings
    Quote Originally Posted by Carolinahammockhanger View Post
    I've wanted to hear from someone hanging on this trail. So no problems on the balds finding spots to hang?? I've heard finding water will be tougher than finding trees on the balds. Would you agree? I'm planning on doing this trail in July. Thanks a bunch for posting this report. I'll use it in my planning. Can't wait to see some pics!
    Yes I would agree. The only place that it would be an issue is if you passed by ivestor gap after say 5 because you really don't pass any hanging spots until you cross 218. Water was definitely hard to find in places. We had a steri pen and aqua mira but a filter would have been much better just because a lot of the water we passed was very low and hard to fill without tons of sediment getting in. We filled up at Deep Gap on the southern section and almost ran out of water from there until we passed butter gap. From there though water was abundant. It was also helpful to know that there was water off the spur trail from Black Balsam if we didn't know that we would have run low there as well. I will try and get some pictures up tonight.

Senior Member Carolinahammockhanger's Avatar
    Hammock
    ENO Singlenest w/ bugnet
    Tarp
    OES MacCat Deluxe
    Insulation
    Ridgerest
    Images
    Thanks for all the great info. This is really going to help. Glad I got my free filter with my REI dividend the other day. I usually use tablets on most trips. I'l make sure I pack it for this one. Are you planing to up load any pics? Would love to see em but no prob if you don't. You have given me a bunch of info already. Thanks! Come on July! (thats when I'm going)

Hammock
    WBBB, Clark NA
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4 season
    Insulation
    Phoenix 20*,NoSniv
    Suspension
    Dutch whoopies
    I agree this is a great area to hike 'n hang.
    My son and I had planned the same hike as you last May, but couldn't get a shuttle. We wound up making a loop starting at the BS camp, following the Little East Fork of the Pigeon River then joing the Art Loeb a little north of Ivestor Gap to include most of what you did the first two days, but in reverse, winding up at the BS camp on day two. I'm hoping to do the entire Art Loeb some day soon.
    I look forward to your photos.

Hammock
    Molly Mac Gear
    Images
    I wonder if anyone has gone east down hill from the saddle between Cold Mtn and The Narrows?

There is a trail leading down from the camp site where the trail from the Boone BSA camp reaches the trail from Cold Mtn and the trail from The Narrows. I have no idea how far it goes...

The whole area east of The Narrows and north of Shining Rock seems to be nearly inaccessible. Bear hunting dogs bushwack through it... are there any trails?
    - MacEntyre
    "We must, indeed, all hang together or, most assuredly, we shall all hang separately." - Ben Franklin
    www.MollyMacGear.com

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast