Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images

Reflectix or CCF as a UQ backup

I made a DIY 2/3 underquilt thats around 5 inch thick and im wondering preferences on whether reflectix (with a cordura layer added) or CCF pad is prefered should it turn to cold for the underquilt? The hammock is a double layer if that would change things.

Do you mean for your legs, where you are unprotected by the UQ?
    Or
    In the event the UQ is not warm enough?

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    Yes, you can use a pad between the layers(The layers keep the pad from moving) and be warm if your UQ fails. Remember for that 2/3 UQ, you still need a small pad for your feet.

In the past, I used a Walmart pad and a sleeping bag around the hammock as a peapod with my jacket around the head end down to 25*. Besides my longjohns and sweats, I had a fleece blanket and was warm except for my feet(2 socks).

Now, I use a partial synthetic UQ and inflateable pillow with fleece cover. The UQ has 2 layers of mylar infused primaloft from Walmart. I also used my 50* rated SB as a TQ. I was wearing regular underwear, tee-shirt, long sleeve shirt and sweatpants with no socks. I was toasty warm down to 39* Thanksgiving morning.

The point is, your 5" thick UQ will get you down to some very cold weather if my less-than-half of yours got me down to 39*(although, I'm a very warm sleeper)
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    Ah I should have been more clear, It is in case my DIY UQ proves insufficient. I have a little synthetic air mat for my lower legs and probably a down gilet over my feet if needed.

I have a thread on some of the gear I made for the trip, I've not tested a lot of my kit as its too wet and no where near cold enough. So I'm planning for the extreme end of the spectrum of weather.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...ad.php?t=84053

Either a CCF pad or Reflectix can extend the warmth of your UQ. I see two challenges to keep in mind in weather that cold.
    1) when using UQ and pad (either material) together, if the pad doesn't conform well to your body like the UQ does, you could introduce drafts that aren't present with the UQ alone. This could end up decreasing warmth instead of adding it.
    2) both the CCF and Reflectix will serve as a vapor barrier. So, if you use those, I would advise not having any of your insulation between you and the pad. If you do, it'll be soaked by morning.

Both these challenges can be overcome - just something to watch for. In extreme cold temps, tiny mistakes can make a big difference.

Hammock
    DIY Stretch Side, WBBB
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti/flight jacket
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    I used a 3/4 UQ and a car sun visor down to 28* last week and stayed warm wearing only thermals and a pair of wool socks. I used a small ccf pad under my feet. I never felt any cold spots. My bag was a 25* down mummy used as a top quilt.

I had a tiny bit of moisture on my lower back but not enough to bother me.
    "Life is hard, it's harder when your stupid" John Wayne

Senior Member Scotty Von Porkchop's Avatar
    Hammock
    BeUL with stretchy footbox
    Tarp
    silnylon hex
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Mule tape
    Images
    The vapour barrier effect of both the CCF and reflectix could prove to be dangerous as temps are expected to be in the 0-10 degree f range. I have got a VBL suit made, I'm starting to think that employing this first followed by a pad if it proves insufficient. I am a total novice with VB clothes as I've only had a go with the socks so far.

thanks for the input fellas

Hammock
    1.9oz DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    DIY UCR
    5" of loft is going to take you past 0°F.

I always carry a pad with me on every hike for many multi-use purposes. It functions as a sit pad, I use a frameless GossamerGear pack that has a pad pocket and the pad serves as my pack frame, I use it in my hammock under my feet/legs since I use a partial underquilt, but it also allows me to use it to augment the UQ should the temps get lower than I expected.

I tried a piece of reflectix but found it was ok under my feet/legs the noise it made (the crinkly sound) was just too much for me, I'm a light sleeper and even with ear plugs in I still heard it. But it worked very well, not as well as the pad though at least in my trials, YMMV.

I have used my pad in my hammock under me to add insulation to my set-up many times, and while it wasn't the "greatest", it worked very well and I didn't freeze the nights I had to use it. I use a single layer hammock and put the pad in the hammock and I lay right on it. One thing I have done is when I do this I lose the ability to have the pad under my feet/legs so I take my down coat and stuff it into my quilts foot box and under my legs and I find that while not great, it works just fine and my feet/calf's don't freeze.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Reflectix or CCF as a UQ backup

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Von Porkchop View Post
    The vapour barrier effect of both the CCF and reflectix could prove to be dangerous as temps are expected to be in the 0-10 degree f range. I have got a VBL suit made, I'm starting to think that employing this first followed by a pad if it proves insufficient. I am a total novice with VB clothes as I've only had a go with the socks so far.

thanks for the input fellas
    Proper use of a VB suit may be a great approach. I've only dabbled in VBs but see definite benefits - not the least of which is keeping condensation out of your insulation. A VB suit seems much more convenient than a VB liner - especially when you have to eventually get out of all that insulation. Wear only thin polyester or wool long john under the VB - nothing heavier.

VB suit + under quilt + short pad under your feer + CCF as backup = should be in good shape on the bottom.

What about the top?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast