First Attempt at DIY UQ any tips greatly appreciated

Been hammock camping for years but I only discovered the forum last week and it looks to be filled with useful tips so any advice is appreciated. I live in Buffalo and I don't do a ton of camping in the winter but when I do the temps get pretty cold. I currently use a sleeping bag and sleeping pad combo and Im pretty happy with it but I would like to add an UQ to the mix for a little extra warmth. I have very little sewing experience and will be relying heavily on my wife and mother in that department. This is a link to the UQ I would like to try and make:

http://sticksblog.com/2011/09/04/diy...lf-underquilt/

First off I am going to make it a little larger so its a full length, I'm thinking 78"x48" is pretty standard? My next question is what other types of materials could I use to make the UQ warmer and Lighter. Also if anyone has tried this or a similar UQ and has any design modifications or recommended add ons I'm all ears.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    UQG UQ, Ozark TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Looks simple enough I might try to make one for warmer weather. What about just using a fleece blanket...
    <>< Matthew R. <><
    K5NON
    Bike4Heck.com
    Helotes, Texas

"Lighten Your Life And Enlighten Your Mind" -M.R.

Hammock
    Ridge Outdoor Gear Pinnacle 360
    Tarp
    UGQ Rect. and HHex
    Insulation
    DIY CDT/synth sets
    Suspension
    Straps/Speed Hooks
    Images
    I made a similar UQ. I purchased 2 yards of mylar infused batting from Walmart. It's a lot less crinkly and was $5 a yard. I cut in half and doubled it. Sewed it together with $1.50/yd fabric that is windproofed(Walmart has it as "undetermined origin" for the fabric), added shock cord to ends of mason's line in the channels, shock cord and locks for the UQ ends to cinch up.

Thanksgivig morning was a low of 39* and I was nice and warm using that 3/4 synthetic UQ, 50* rated SB as top quilt, cotton T-shirt and underwear, long sleeve shirt and sweat pants, no socks and a skull cap.

I was very impressed with the warmth of the UQ and can't wait for colder temps.

Note. The synthetics like to be rolled like a pad instead of stuffed like down.

Also, for colder temps up North, you will need 3 or more layers, not just 1. So far so good in Florida with 2 layers.
    Enjoy and have fun with your family, before they have fun without you

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    That reflective blanket as extra layer looks intriguing. Wouldn't it be a condensation magnet, though?

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    I just finished my first DIY under quilt a couple of weeks ago. Things I learned:

1. Take your time - be patient.
    2. Plan ahead - research - Google is your best friend.
    3. Learn about stiches.
    4. Use pins. Lots and lots of pins.
    5. Sew over the pins - check out this link.
    6. Mark your fabric - I used masking tape and a white crayon.
    7. If possible, get yourself a rotary cutter.
    8. Don't use the rotary cutter on a bare linoleum floor - your wife will get p-o'ed.
    9. Don't forget to backstitch - It really sucks to think you've finished only to see your threads start to unravel.
    10. Have fun and start thinking about DIY Under Quilt version 2.0 - It's gonna happen.

Hammock
    WBRR, Lots of DIY
    Tarp
    MacCat; Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx, HG T/UQ, AHE
    Suspension
    Varies
    I too am leary of incorporating a vapor barrier inside a quilt.

In my opinion, a better way to do it...https://www.hammockforums.net/index.php?page=kaq

Also get long, high quality pins. There can be a big difference in sharpness.

Quote Originally Posted by anvil440 View Post
    ...5. Sew over the pins...
    Have lots of needles on hand if you do this and wear eye protection. Sooner or later you will have needle strikes on a pin. While the needle rarely breaks from this, it will damage the point.

Short version...don't.

Hammock
    ENO Double Nest
    Tarp
    Hennessy Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    DIY Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gmcttr View Post
    Have lots of needles on hand if you do this and wear eye protection. Sooner or later you will have needle strikes on a pin. While the needle rarely breaks from this, it will damage the point.

Short version...don't.
    If you fear the dreaded broken needle - just pull the pin before running it over. I have found pinning the hems perpendicular holds the hem better than parallel.

My mom worked in a sewing factory - she wasn't a seamstress, she sewed bulk garments - and she ran over her pins regularly. Albeit, she had a hardcore professional sewing machine which probably used heavy duty needles.

However, check this out for alternatives.

Also, you can check this out.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod &amp; DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide &amp; Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by anvil440 View Post
    I just finished my first DIY under quilt a couple of weeks ago. Things I learned:

1. Take your time - be patient.
    2. Plan ahead - research - Google is your best friend.
    3. Learn about stiches.
    4. Use pins. Lots and lots of pins.
    5. Sew over the pins - check out this link.
    6. Mark your fabric - I used masking tape and a white crayon.
    7. If possible, get yourself a rotary cutter.
    8. Don't use the rotary cutter on a bare linoleum floor - your wife will get p-o'ed.
    9. Don't forget to backstitch - It really sucks to think you've finished only to see your threads start to unravel.
    10. Have fun and start thinking about DIY Under Quilt version 2.0 - It's gonna happen.
    This is excellent advice, which anvil gives. I've had materials and pieces cut for some time but the Argon fabric is so expensive and tricky that I'm just now in the frame of mind to proceed. I've got it clear in my head what to do next -- it truly seems that patience and lots of pins will be the keys.

Mike

Learn to survive and thrive in any situation, for you never know what might happen. Love family and friends passionately. Suffer no fool. Know your purpose in life and follow it with all your heart.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Patience and pins....and I try not to sew over mine. Double check all measurements before cutting....don't ask me how I figured this one out. Plan on a few inches larger than what you actually want, allow for some fudge factor. Take your time! On an UQ, make sure you have the differential cut figured out, sucks to finish only to find out your insulation is being compressed under you due to not really understanding what is going on there...again don't ask how I know....
    My head is an animal

• + New Posts